Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 02:03 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,413 times

Advertisements

My A/C just broke down. I think its lost its refrigerant. I've called around and quotes range form $200 to 800. One told me "by law we need to evacuate and leak check" out of like five places I called and material cost ranging anywhere form $13 to $35/lb for refrigerant 22.

I think I'll get it fixed this one time, then replace it over the off season when demand is low. How do I go about finding good mechanical contractors in Portland?

What's technique should I use as a consumer to get the most competitive pricing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 03:13 AM

780 posts, read 1,343,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechmanOR View Post
My A/C just broke down. I think its lost its refrigerant. I've called around and quotes range form $200 to 800. One told me "by law we need to evacuate and leak check" out of like five places I called and material cost ranging anywhere form $13 to $35/lb for refrigerant 22.

I think I'll get it fixed this one time, then replace it over the off season when demand is low. How do I go about finding good mechanical contractors in Portland?

What's technique should I use as a consumer to get the most competitive pricing?

DON'T use Bell Heating & Air-conditioning!! OMG--they were so unbelievably expensive--didn't know it at the time, but found out a few days later, could have had the same service done for $100 cheaper! ( damn earwig wedged itself that I couldn't get to, in my a/c unit outside that caused the a/c to blow warm air into the house a few summers ago when it was over 100F outside :-(

Never again will I use Bell Heating & A/C after I discovered that!

You could also check Angie's list ( a very reputable contractor list of resources ) and the guy that said about evacuating....I'd be cautious of that ( easy to rip you off if you can't see what they're doing in your home ) and ignore that contractor like the plague ( and since only one of them told you that. )

Hope these help and good luck! :-)

Old 07-22-2010, 05:04 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,413 times
Any thoughts on installing contractor? I know exactly what I need, so I'm looking for someone who will provide something (tech specs, warranty terms etc) I need for the least cost.

I'm obviously going to get bids, but I don't even know where to start. Angie's list doesn't appear to be free.

Contractor shopping... its one of those stressful things like car shopping.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 PM

780 posts, read 1,343,764 times
Quote:
Any thoughts on installing contractor? I know exactly what I need, so I'm looking for someone who will provide something (tech specs, warranty terms etc) I need for the least cost.

I'm obviously going to get bids, but I don't even know where to start. Angie's list doesn't appear to be free.

Contractor shopping... its one of those stressful things like car shopping.
Indeed it is. Have you tried insiderpages.com ? People use that ( in addition to Angie's list ) but insiderpages are primarily consumers only; whereas Angie's are consumers and businesses that rate other businesses. I've personally been using insiderpages now the last about 5 yrs.

Might try starting there. Also, any friends, co-workers, neighbors, friends of either of them as well too.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:48 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,307 times
Quote:

First of all there's no law stating a leak needs to be repaired. (you were lied to). That only applies to larger commerical systems. 9not residential) However you'd be foolish not to have the leak repaired. HVAC systems do not consume refrigerants. If refrigerant is low it has a leak and will continue to leak until it's fixed. Sure you can probably find a low coast "gas and go" hack but it's unlikely to be a long term fix.

Secondly it's very common for tech's to immediately pitch a complete new system vs. repair. They're usually on a commission (10% is common) and it's best for their wallet to get their company to sell you a replacement. Never even hint that a replacement is an option until you have the root cause of the problem identified and get a quote for repair. If the evaporator coil is leaking and the system is over 15 years old then replacement may really be best. Just understand all your options without any pressure. (no pun intended!!)

Word of mouth is always best in lining up a contractor. Family, friends, work associates, etc. You can try Angies list also. You might also want to go down to a supply house like Johnstone's Supply and talk to the counter personel. Ask them if they needed HVAC repair work, who would you call. You might also get some tips from construction contractors or building inspectors.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: