U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: For Portland transplants, how would you describe your initial move to Portland?
Great! Everything worked out just how we wanted it! 2 25.00%
I had to make a couple compromises here and there, but everything seemed to work out alright. 4 50.00%
I didn't really like my first place at all, but it was a stepping stone. 2 25.00%
Absolutely did NOT like it! It may have even ruined the experience for me. 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 18,274 times
Haha, well thanks for all your responses. We'll keep searching until we find something more within our criteria. As for all the horror stories, I'm not too worried about them. I have already talked with a couple apartment managers who seemed more than willing to rent us a unit remotely. The deal would have been that we pay $100 from our deposit up front (plus app fees), and then when we arrived we would pay first months rent and the rest of the deposit after seeing the place. We're honestly not picky people at all, though... my cousin lives in a van right now, so living in a trailer park would be a step up for him.

I'm still surprised at the lack of foresight by both landlords and tenants in Portland, but that's the way it is I suppose. Initially, we were hoping that some landlords would already know if their tenants were going to leave at the end of August, so we could move in right after they move out... that's the way we've been doing it here, anyway.

As for the fear of no jobs, yeah yeah yeah... we've heard it all before. I honestly think that fear is one of this country's biggest problems right now. The thing is, we currently live in DULUTH, MINNESOTA. So, we know what it's like to live in a city that supposedly has "no jobs". Even if I do have to work at a supermarket for a while, that's fine... I'll still be putting my resume anywhere and everywhere I can until I find something better. It's amazing, though, how many people can find reasons why we SHOULDN'T move... it's like nobody has an adventurous spirit anymore. It's pretty grim that so many people go their whole lives putting their jobs ahead of their own self interest. I mean, think about it... our great-great grandparents moved across the damn world to settle in America, which would have been a WAY riskier move, and they clearly found a way to manage because I'm here now. Yes, we understand the risks, but if it doesn't go as smoothly as we hoped for, it won't be a life or death situation. We'll figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:46 PM

13,189 posts, read 9,226,438 times
Quote:
As for the fear of no jobs, yeah yeah yeah... we've heard it all before. I honestly think that fear is one of this country's biggest problems right now. The thing is, we currently live in DULUTH, MINNESOTA. So, we know what it's like to live in a city that supposedly has "no jobs". Even if I do have to work at a supermarket for a while, that's fine... I'll still be putting my resume anywhere and everywhere I can until I find something better. It's amazing, though, how many people can find reasons why we SHOULDN'T move... it's like nobody has an adventurous spirit anymore. It's pretty grim that so many people go their whole lives putting their jobs ahead of their own self interest. I mean, think about it... our great-great grandparents moved across the damn world to settle in America, which would have been a WAY riskier move, and they clearly found a way to manage because I'm here now. Yes, we understand the risks, but if it doesn't go as smoothly as we hoped for, it won't be a life or death situation. We'll figure it out.
People would kill for a supermarket job here. But youth is full of optimism as it should be. Please post after you come here and let us know your progress. So often people will post and ask for advice and they never follow up.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:59 PM

10 posts, read 18,274 times
Yeah, absolutely! Whether it goes great, or even if it's really difficult, it will be a learning experience either way.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:53 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,478,455 times
3=7:

BTW: Welcome to Portland!

The more difficult the challenge, the better the tale to be told over a brew with your new friends. Enjoy the adventure. Embrace the potential.

Phil

Old 07-25-2010, 11:20 PM

2,114 posts, read 3,619,762 times
You should start looking mid August, or even late August....I'm not surprised you're having trouble this early in. Check out American Property Management for close in SE rentals at a good price. I don't work for them (lived there) and the buildings are mostly kind of ugly 70s buildings, but they have so many locations that they always seem to have openings. I'm sure you could find something through them. And I second (or third) what everyone else said--you're going to find lots of availability in early September! Besides, most of the schools here are on the quarter system anyway and school starts the last part of September.

And I would not want to live at 75th and Tillamook with no car. Wait until it's closer! You could also probably move here, stay in a hotel or hostel a few days and find something pretty quickly that way too if you're not able to come visit first. I really don't think you're going to have a very hard time finding available units.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:07 AM

5,323 posts, read 4,056,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threequalseven View Post
As for the fear of no jobs, yeah yeah yeah... we've heard it all before. I honestly think that fear is one of this country's biggest problems right now. The thing is, we currently live in DULUTH, MINNESOTA. So, we know what it's like to live in a city that supposedly has "no jobs". Even if I do have to work at a supermarket for a while, that's fine... I'll still be putting my resume anywhere and everywhere I can until I find something better. It's amazing, though, how many people can find reasons why we SHOULDN'T move... it's like nobody has an adventurous spirit anymore. .
In essence your post is correct. In practice you don't have to be smarmy about it. If you don't believe in getting an existential smackdown from God you'd better start believing in Karma. One of them is the real deal but when you are in the throes it won't matter which is which. It will hurt less if you haven't hardened the hearts of too many people with hackle raising sentences like those above. Landlords don't care about your youthful optimism they want to see credit scores and they want to see you. A landlord who is ok with renting to you sight unseen is a landlord you should be afraid of. Very afraid. I'm not very picky either but my SO is very picky. Still, reality introduces its own compromises. YMMV.

H

Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,143,978 times
My fiancee and I ran into similar problems to yours in looking for our place here the last 3-4 months. No one would hold places for more than a few few weeks. I had been living in a college town (ft collins), so it was very common to set up rentals months and months in advance. Here that is not the case. We were quite surprised that most places required steep application fees, and very, very serious background and credit checks. I even had to go as far as sending them a copy of my school acceptance letter, stating my stipend (salary), and even then they still went through all the rigamaroll of checking everything else out, even though I clearly made enough for the apartment, by myself (regardless of my future wife contributing). We were quite surprised how intense it all was. Way worse than ANY place we had ever lived (and we have lived in about 10 states between us).

We looked at one place who actually refused to even give us an application unless we viewed the apartment in person.
Definitely seemed strange, as I found it hard to believe that NO ONE had ever moved from out of state sight unseen.

I guess I can understand with the unemployment being so high out here that landlords want to make sure they will be paid. But is there really that high a rate of rental delinquency here? Doesn't seem like it to me.

So I would say, just jump through their hoops and deal with it. There are a TON of places for rent in the city, you just need find them. And unfortunately not a lot of them are on craigslist.

So just settle on something kind of cheap for the first bit that you're here, and then start looking for a place you really want to live once you're here. That was our plan.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:05 PM

13,189 posts, read 9,226,438 times
Quote:
We looked at one place who actually refused to even give us an application unless we viewed the apartment in person.
Definitely seemed strange, as I found it hard to believe that NO ONE had ever moved from out of state sight unseen.
I think most people come for a visit and scope out the area first. I did when I moved here. The landlord not only wants you to view the apartment sight unseen but he also wants to view you. Not really strange at all. I think it's taking a big risk to rent to someone sight-unseen on both sides. And I will repeat: why take a chance on an known when you have lots and lots of "knowns" knocking on your door? A large manangement company can be of help in this situation. They have many apartments needing renters so would probably be eager to make a deal with an out-of-towner.

Quote:
I guess I can understand with the unemployment being so high out here that landlords want to make sure they will be paid. But is there really that high a rate of rental delinquency here? Doesn't seem like it to me.
I asked my own landlord and he said "absolutely!" It's all tied to the economy. People come with money but no job and when the money runs out they are gone. Or they come with a job, find it isn't for them and again leaves. I have mentioned before he puts a sign out and in an hour or less he has 10 people knocking on his door. The good ones always do.

Put yourself in a landlord's place. If you own rental property you want a potential long-term tenant with stablility. There is one woman who has lived in my building for 20 years. Another for 10. Across the street from me there are 15-25 year residents. That means the landlord chose wisely. I know it seems unfair to someone just starting out but the world isn't fair and sometimes you have to wait a little bit for what you really want.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,143,978 times
and as this thread proves (this whole message board for that matter), there are lots of people who do not come out before they move here. Coming out would not even help if you were trying to rent something 2-3 months ahead of time, as it seems like most places won't hold rentals for you.

Oddly the place that said only rent to people that view the apartment, was a place that was up on craigslist for over a month, so.......

A big risk? You show them a sparkling history of landlords, employment and a guaranteed paycheck in Portland (that more than covers 3x their monthly rent)? That does not really seem like a risk to me. More like discrimination to out of town people.

Again I will say, it is NOT like that in most places around the country.

In a town with a young population most landlords cannot expect tenants to stay for 20-30 years. I'm glad your place is working out for you, but I still find some of the rental hoops in Portland odd.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 PM

7,227 posts, read 7,465,821 times
Aren't there a lot of vacancies?

Wasn't recently out in LA and was amazed at how many apts had signs out(almost every building) looking for renters.

Portland even in good times has had a weak economy, haven't lived there in years but I would have thought now it would be a renters market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland