U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:16 PM

1,069 posts, read 814,497 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons I'm choosing Portland to move to is its lack of skyline. Tall buildings scare me, they make me feel claustrophobic. I how portland seems to be more of a "squat" town and is spread out with more greenery than the average city. Chicago makes me feel literally ill after being there a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 PM

99 posts, read 127,175 times
C'mon - Portland doesn't really even have a skyline!! Look at other cities in the western part of North America that have skylines that dominate Portland's 'skyline': Vancouver, Seattle, Calgary, Edmonton, San Francisco, LA, Denver, San Diego, Phoenix. You could even make a claim that cities like Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Anchorage, Tucson, Long Beach and Bellevue have bigger, more prominent skylines than Portland.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 AM

32 posts, read 59,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyBilly View Post
C'mon - Portland doesn't really even have a skyline!! Look at other cities in the western part of North America that have skylines that dominate Portland's 'skyline': Vancouver, Seattle, Calgary, Edmonton, San Francisco, LA, Denver, San Diego, Phoenix. You could even make a claim that cities like Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Anchorage, Tucson, Long Beach and Bellevue have bigger, more prominent skylines than Portland.

C'mon.....now you are just being silly. Phoenix has a crappy skyline. There are no bigger buildings over 500 feet if I recall correctly and Portland has 3. Portland's "skyline" is just fine. True, it needs to fill the space between the 2 tallest towers, but even then the density downtown more than makes up for it. In fact, Portland actually has 3 skylines if you count the SOWA and Lloyd district. To me one of the more impressive buildings in town is that new OHSU building I think it is next to the Marquam bridge that is going up now. It is only 10 stories or so but it is HUGE and the annex to it is very interesting looking. Also, the old Meier and Frank building and the one across the street on 6th ave. have always impressed me due to the sheer mass of the buildings.

And cities like Calgary have so many high rises because they are built on oil money. Calgary has a skyline that rivals towns 3 times larger, but they are a anomaly. If Portland had more industry and a few large corporate HQ's well then we might have taller buildings as well. Being weird doesn't equal tall office buildings.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 AM

2,200 posts, read 3,673,467 times
I think Portland would do well to have one more ultra modern, super green, LEED-gold certified skyscraper to be it's flagship skyline building. I mean if any city should have it's flagship be the most green skyscraper in the world, it should be Portland.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:30 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,260,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I think Portland would do well to have one more ultra modern, super green, LEED-gold certified skyscraper to be it's flagship skyline building. I mean if any city should have it's flagship be the most green skyscraper in the world, it should be Portland.
Now that is something I would love to see happen in Portland.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:05 PM

178 posts, read 335,160 times
IMHO Portland's skyline is not as impressive as many other cities but it lives better at street level than most and I think that is really more important.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:30 AM

46,054 posts, read 28,260,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Dave View Post
IMHO Portland's skyline is not as impressive as many other cities but it lives better at street level than most and I think that is really more important.
I agree, I have been in cities that have impressive skylines, but a void of street life with towers that are more like islands with no real connection to their surroundings, and then that city usually has a couple active neighborhood streets that you wish there were more of. Charlotte and Atlanta come to mind when I think of cities with great skylines and poor street life.

I would rather take a city that is extremely active on the street, but has no buildings over 10 stories, than the other way around.

Of course with that said, I am loving the density that Portland is seeing on both sides of the Willamette and would love to see that grow. I could see a few tell buildings rise around Big Pink, as well as see a new tallest for the city that really knocks it out of the park, but if none of that happens in my lifetime, I won't be disappointed.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 AM

9,972 posts, read 14,014,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyBilly View Post
You could even make a claim that cities like Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Anchorage, Tucson, Long Beach and Bellevue have bigger, more prominent skylines than Portland.
Really...

Albuquerque:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...LBUQUERQUE.png

Anchorage:

http://www.anchorage.net/sites/ancho...aphy%20610.jpg

Long Beach:

http://www.davincirealtygroup.com/wp...ch-skyline.jpg

Portland:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nd_Mt_Hood.jpg

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge.../PDX-AIR-8.jpg

http://www.pearldistrict.org/wp-cont...-Landscape.jpg

Last edited by Deezus; 06-07-2013 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 09:11 PM

20,857 posts, read 22,433,523 times
Portland's skyline has increased incredibly in the time I have lived here. I never thought I would see so many buildings that have sprung up when I first moved here. But I like them. I think it makes the city look interesting.

I love the Chicago skyline which of course is nothing like Portland's but both are really nice to look at as far as I am concerned.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 PM

6,468 posts, read 11,151,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
We didn't have the money to build it. Some $60 million and no tenants really wanted to be in it. If there had actually been tenants, it might have gotten built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or