Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 PM

95 posts, read 211,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
To the OP:

I was worried about the diversity too since I am moving there with my Filipino husband and our two mixed (or hapa haole) kids very soon. Well, we just got back from our vacation/investigation (or as my husband who grew up in Hawaii would say, we went to spock the area) and I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it's just that we were in the right places, but we saw all sorts of people of all colors and styles wherever we went. EVEN in Tigard and bordering Lake Oswego.

BTW: since the kids are half filipino and half white (..or "haole" if your from Hawaii-it sounds like howlie) we call them haole-pino's.

LMAO...funny! Sounds like something I would make up. I called my oldest when she was a baby "round-brown" because she was very fat and pretty dark for a mixed baby.

Update: Was in Portland earlier this week. STILL do not have a house (let's not talk about it)
When I was house shopping, I was in this little circle of homes in Lake O. This older gentlemen approached me as I was waiting for the realtor to show up. We got into a conversation and I was talking about the great schools. His exact quote was: "We have great schools in this area because we don't have THOSE BLACKS and THOSE MIXED PEOPLE"
I just smiled and walked away when the realtor got there. I did tell him that I loved the house and would rent it right now except for that.
PS- My husband told me I should have definitely rented it-- in either defiance, or one might say, in a silent anti-racial announcement. I felt I just couldn't do that to my kids, or to the old man who clearly would have been uncomfortable.
No different from anything in DFW though....or any city....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 02:32 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Do you know the nick name for Lake Oswego? Google Lake Oswego and you will see...

Old 08-06-2010, 03:45 PM

95 posts, read 211,758 times
Found it!
Well, there's at least one in every metro area I guess.

Thank Goodness I talked to that gentleman. What if I had not known...and signed a year lease?!?!?! God was looking out for me that day.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 PM

639 posts, read 1,598,929 times
That's just plain scary.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:01 AM

10 posts, read 17,380 times
Just my take, and I'm a Caucasian, native Oregonian (though I will be moving soon)--Portland "pretends" to be friendly, but we really aren't that friendly. I live in NW Portland--supposed to be very liberal, and all that "stuff" , but it really is about how much money you have, and it is "really" snobby, here in the NW part of the city. You "must" shop at the "right" stores and be so "green" you bleed green when you cut yourself accidentally peeling the (over-priced) organic vegetables that you just bought at the "correct" store, or you just won't belong. I've traveled a lot, and by far, though I would never live there because of the crime rate, the most diverse city I've ever been to is Baltimore, MD. I've never seen so many cultures all living together within the same block and just not paying any mind to it. Anyway, just thought I'd weigh in on these comments (as I pack my stuff to leave for a job on the East Coast). And, by the way, there are "no" jobs here--but good luck all the same!!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:04 AM

333 posts, read 810,490 times
Btheferret, I haven't read the whole thread but I'm glad for you that you found out about that neighbor before you signed a lease! While making a statement is all good and well, living next to someone like that would be unpleasant. I've always had the impression that Lake Oswego was the most conservative town in the whole PDX area. Have you considered SE Portland? Mt Tabor?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:41 AM

499 posts, read 1,446,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisanediting View Post
Just my take, and I'm a Caucasian, native Oregonian (though I will be moving soon)--Portland "pretends" to be friendly, but we really aren't that friendly. I live in NW Portland--supposed to be very liberal, and all that "stuff" , but it really is about how much money you have, and it is "really" snobby, here in the NW part of the city. You "must" shop at the "right" stores and be so "green" you bleed green when you cut yourself accidentally peeling the (over-priced) organic vegetables that you just bought at the "correct" store, or you just won't belong. I've traveled a lot, and by far, though I would never live there because of the crime rate, the most diverse city I've ever been to is Baltimore, MD. I've never seen so many cultures all living together within the same block and just not paying any mind to it. Anyway, just thought I'd weigh in on these comments (as I pack my stuff to leave for a job on the East Coast). And, by the way, there are "no" jobs here--but good luck all the same!!
It sounds like you care way too much what you percieve your neighbors to be thinking. I hope NW hasn't become the neighborhood you describe. It's always been my favorite part of the city. Are you talking NW 21-23rd? Or the Pearl?

Old 08-07-2010, 01:19 PM

10 posts, read 17,380 times
No, see, that's the problem--I don't care at all what my neighbors think! I proudly carry my "plastic" bag with groceries from a discount grocery store that I shop at once in awhile (instead of the politically correct reusable tote bag, up to my apartment (and I'm talking about the Nob Hill area, around Chapman school--where the two or three bedroom cottages, when put up for sale, all go for around a million dollars--unbelievable in my view). Anyway, you should see the looks I get from my neighbors--it's very amusing to me--it's they who care. The owner of the five-plex where I live actually told me once that "we like to support the local businesses" in an effort, I could only perceive as telling me how things are done while I live in her building. She also goes through the trash to make sure everything is recycled correctly--I'm all for recycling, but that's just taking it a little too far in my view (and, honestly, it almost feels like an invasion of privacy in a way--I don't want people knowing every little thing I throw away). And once, I had a neighbor stop and tell me, "well I see you finally got some decent clothes"! All I could do was laugh because it just was so out-of-line. There was nothing indecent about my clothing to begin with as far as a could tell. I love that the neighborhood is safe, clean, near the hiking trails, etc., and that's why I'm here, but it is "snobby", and I could never afford to buy one of those two bedroom, million dollar cottages that come up for sale once in awhile, so I need to move somewhere where home ownership is truly an option for me. And, where, hopefully, where people have a live and let live philosophy. But I wish the original poster luck in finding happiness here!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:34 PM

639 posts, read 1,598,929 times
man, I'm all for recycling, but I can't abide by snobby! And to have people tell me which clothes I should be wearing and where to buy my groceries? -- that's just too much. What is this, middle school?

Old 08-07-2010, 01:42 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,891 times
It sounds like you do, indeed, have some very odd neighbors. I really hope they're the exception.
As for your landlady going thru your trash...I manage the building I live in & we have compost, recycle & trash bins. I have signs all over saying plastic bags can only be put into the trash bins. But there always seems to be a tenant or two who could care less. Our recycling is simply not picked up if they see plastic bags in the containers. Same with the compost bin. So I have no choice but to go thru & properly sort their discards. I'm not at all interested in who's throwing away what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland