Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:44 PM

254 posts, read 653,329 times

Advertisements

Seeing young people hanging out and dressing casually this must be hell. People driving a prius the speed limit to save on gas makes me sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 PM

319 posts, read 604,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant View Post
Seeing young people hanging out and dressing casually this must be hell. People driving a prius the speed limit to save on gas makes me sick
I have no problem seeing young people hang out and dress casually, I'm guilty of both. The issue isn't casual, it's the sillyness of trying to be weird. In an absence of culture, it seems that Portland needs to create culture, and it's not even their own, many posters here have stated "Cultural signals coming from San Francisco". They say that too in the opening video, which suggests that it is obvious to everyone (those that don't wear the portland is a paradise blinders).

People don't drive the speed limit in Portland, they drive 10 under, in all lanes. It is not gas conservation, it is being idiots. They aren't saving gas, they aren't being safe, they are probably stoned, or just are morons. Take all of those cars with good gas efficiency, and then attach the kayak racks to the top, and guess what, air resistance negatively impacts gas mileage. Wow, you would think such eco-concerned liberal intellectuals would figure that looking like you are outdoorsy is actually bad for your gas mileage. Why bother thinking, just keep being weird, after all, everyone else is doing it...

Old 01-16-2011, 02:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
I think this show might be funny...But I hope that they pick apart Portland more than just the whole clichéd funny hipsters and hippies deal. Because when Portland comes up nationally, it's always look at all these funny young liberal transplants who keep Portland weird-stereotype.

After 7 years in Portland, I'm really burnt out on that.

Here's some other Portland stereotypes and issues that could be addressed on this show:

-Old time Portland residents complaining about the lack of rain for the one week Portland actually goes without precipitation. And maybe a joke about why it always rains on the day of the Rose Festival parade.

-The Portland Trailblazers are their never-ending streak of bad luck with knee injuries. Maybe do an episode where the team can only field 4 players due to injuries and has to enlist mascot Blaze the Trailcat to play small forward.

-Rich and conservative parents in Lake Oswego talking about how Portland has completely gone to hell, while their spoiled rotten children injest massive amounts of drugs and roam the suburbs bored looking for trouble.

-Poor people riding the MAX to the welfare office talking loudly about their drug problems and sex lives, while middle-aged suburban commuters complain about all the thugs(non-white youth) aboard.

-An episode where the bicycle Taliban issues a fatwa on all SUV drivers after a disagreement during a massive naked bike ride/pancake breakfast on the Hawthorne Bridge.

-How the economy has hit Portland's massive strip club industry...What are out of work strippers to do?

-And an episode where the Portland City Council and developes decides to build a giant complex of massive high rise condos along John's Landing and a multi-million $ aerial ski tram to a hospital, that ends up being a complete waste of money with the condos being auctioned off for a third of the original price...oh wait, that really happened...

Last edited by Deezus; 01-16-2011 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,440 times
Didn't know if it was on here already but here is the link for the complete first episode.
Portlandia - Series - On Air - IFC.com

Old 01-16-2011, 11:04 PM

Great episode : )

Old 01-17-2011, 12:35 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Wow. So many negative attitudes. All over a clever little show.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
This show makes me hate Portland.
And I was very impressed by the episode, and I hope many more episodes to come. Wouldn't have bothered to watch it without the endorsement by backdrifter.

Enjoyed watching it a lot. Great advertisement for Portland so young people will want to move here.

Phil

Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 AM

639 posts, read 1,598,929 times
LOL! hehe.. my crappy old computer won't show me the episode on hulu and I don't get IFC . DRAT! Hopefully I can at least get to watch one episode on someone else's computer soon. It looks hilarious!!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:37 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
LOL! hehe.. my crappy old computer won't show me the episode on hulu and I don't get IFC . DRAT! Hopefully I can at least get to watch one episode on someone else's computer soon. It looks hilarious!!
You don't need to subscribe to cable or IFC to watch the episode, or swallow Hulu even. You can watch the whole episode for free on the IFC web site. If you look a couple of comments up, there's a handy link to click on.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
And I was very impressed by the episode, and I hope many more episodes to come. Wouldn't have bothered to watch it without the endorsement by backdrifter.

Enjoyed watching it a lot. Great advertisement for Portland so young people will want to move here.

Phil
Haha yeah I think his comments would also do the same.. I would be thinking that if I was a young person watching the show or reading these posts. Sounds like an interesting place. Too bad it wasn't more like that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland