U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,427 times
Default Need neighborhood reccomendations...relocating from Texas

I am 38 , my husband is 40 and we have a son that is 5. Husband is a musician and product analyst and I am a real estate agent and in to interior design. We are both artistic and professional. Past our partying stage but not dead. We still want to live where there is alot going on. Walk to shopping, coffee, bars, bookstore, grocery ect. Decent public schools required but dont have to be top of the line. Prefer new construction OR really old but upgraded/updated. Budget is no more than $1200 on 1 bed or $1500 on a 2 bed. Would like to become a 1 car family so public transit is a big plus. Love the Pearl district but I am just not going to pay $1300 for a 1 bedroom apartment. That's insanity. Need reccomendations on neighborhoods please. Will be in town 1st week of Sept with with our moving truck !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 03:38 PM

118 posts, read 290,265 times
So you're moving here in two weeks and you haven't even found a place yet? Do you guys have jobs lined up? This doesn't sound like the best move right now.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,607,423 times
Ouch, 1st week in September is just after the start of the school year, and apartment rental crunch from Mid-August to start of September. On the other hand, left-overs might come at a discount.

You probably won't find a place up on Nob Hill (aka, NW 21st and NW 23rd from W Burnside to NW Lovejoy) which you may find you will fit in quiet nicely per your self description. But that is an expensive place also.

You might like the brick homes and nice apartments in the Hollywood District, but I cannot recommend the middle or high school that services that area right now due to current budget cuts mentioned in a local newspaper.

Have you considered Beaverton? I say this because by your description, you might find kindred souls out in the West Hills and Beaverton area.

Enjoy the adventure.

Phil

Old 08-11-2010, 04:37 PM

6,736 posts, read 7,389,242 times
Rebecca Kilgore started out her professional life living on NW Wilson, west of 29th. The apartments on 29th and up Wilson show their many years of use but you are in a strong neighborhood with a great grade school and a popular co-op preschool at Friendly House. It is a walk to the grocery store but all the other items you mentioned are within about 8 blocks.

Real estate is dead, career wise in the city. Interior decorating? Another tough occupation for this economy. Before you start marketing your decorating skills you need to familiarize yourself with this market, VERY different from Texas.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM

76 posts, read 126,504 times
So you want good schools, safe area, new construction within walking of all that you mentioned for $1200? You need to re-think your rental budget (if you are renting). For that amount of money you should look in the suburbs but even that amount wont get you in a very good area. Do you both have jobs lined up? Hopefully you arent planning on pursuing real estate here - its a dead market. $1300 for a one bedroom in the Pearl is nothing. You should do a little research before you just show up here with a truck

Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,051,116 times
Double what Daisy said.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,427 times
First, thank you to those that actually addressed the subject of the post. For others and future replies, I am really not asking for your opinion regarding my career or life choices. Just looking for info on specific neighborhoods and price points to determine if I will have to pay the higher rents to get most of what I want. If you don't have anything useful to share just don't reply to the post.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 PM

640 posts, read 920,936 times
Wow.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 AM

50 posts, read 57,982 times
Default future transplant myself

Hi, I don't live in Portland but have done a lot of research on the area. From my research you will find a house in Portland and what you are looking for in your price range. Matter of fact there are many on craigs list right now that fit your criteria. Be savvy, good luck and have fun in your new city. We will be relocating next Summer.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 AM

95 posts, read 116,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Northwest Bound View Post
I am 38 , my husband is 40 and we have a son that is 5. Husband is a musician and product analyst and I am a real estate agent and in to interior design. We are both artistic and professional. Past our partying stage but not dead. We still want to live where there is alot going on. Walk to shopping, coffee, bars, bookstore, grocery ect. Decent public schools required but dont have to be top of the line. Prefer new construction OR really old but upgraded/updated. Budget is no more than $1200 on 1 bed or $1500 on a 2 bed. Would like to become a 1 car family so public transit is a big plus. Love the Pearl district but I am just not going to pay $1300 for a 1 bedroom apartment. That's insanity. Need reccomendations on neighborhoods please. Will be in town 1st week of Sept with with our moving truck !!

I am in the process of doing this right now. I am also moving from Texas. I went up last week to find a rental home, and before I could get to them, they were GONE! That said, my advice is as soon as you do decide on a neighborhood, grab something fast. Get your money order BEFORE you even go see the place so that you can hand the agent your money right then or someone will beat you.
As far as which neighborhood, my goals were a little different, but I will tell you what I found in my search:
Saw a beautiful house in Multnomah Village, but I couldn't take it because there are absolutely NO sidewalks or room on the side of the road even. I could not picture my kids walking from the bus stop without getting run over on the windy roads. I saw a beautiful home in Lake O, but the neighbor started talking to me with very evidentally racial attitudes. I was by myself so he had no way of knowing that my husband is black and my kids are mixed. Thank God I met him, though. What if I had rented that house next door to that man???? Everything else I looked at was in Tigard and Beaverton because I will be working in Tigard. That's the extent of my experience so I don't think that part is of much help....but just decide on act FAST on rental, or you will find yourself stressed like I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland