U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:20 PM

8 posts, read 10,872 times
Default Where does "Close-in SE" end?

I have been told that "close in SE" is a nice affordable area to live. Where exactly does that area start/end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 02:23 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,478,455 times
From the Willamette River (wil-LAM-it)

to SE 28th street.

To a large extent, very older homes, mostly broken up into 2 or 3 apartments. Some places have 4 or maybe 5 house-mates. Personal observation, looks a lot like housing near, or walking distance to, a major University. Small apartment buildings (12 to 16 units) interspersed; a few places, the backyard has been converted to a separate two story building which is also rented out. Yard maintenance is hit or miss on a block by block basis. Older and twenty somethings. Very few and far between families with school aged children, but that is only based on my limited observation. Parking for a car is limited, and street parking is difficult to find. Extremely bike friendly, walking, jogging, neighborhood. I like it for casual street conversations one can engage a total stranger in during the mid-day and afternoon. (albeit, short conversations.) Lots of different bus lines.

On this map:
http://www.portlandonline.com/ONI/in...35788&a=283289
the neighborhoods of:
Eliot
Lloyd
Hosford-Abernathy
Brooklyn
Usually not included as 'close in SE' but can be:
Sellwood and Moreland (IMO, more 'family' orientated, a lot more families with school aged children.)

Aside: you didn't ask for this but I thought I should post it for clarity:
Inner Southeast Portland
click on the specific neighborhood, and then click on the link for crime statistics.
Statistics to take note of are: Alcohol related, vandalism, and property theft (car break ins)
and you will defiantly want renter's fire insurance, once you see most of these older homes.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:03 PM

Thanks Phil,
I'm not necessarily looking for family-oriented (no kids), but I don't really want to live with a bunch of college kids either. Is the Hollywood area considered Far SE then I guess? Any familiarity with it? I liked the idea of being close to the MAX system and rents seem reasonable for houses.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 AM

The Hollywood district is known as just being in the NW district.

Aside: the north south dividing line is Burnside street. The East West dividing line is the Willamette River.

The Far SE is reserved for beyond 60th ave. Someone once posted that many years ago, the City Limits of Portland was SE / NE 60th street. Later the limit was extended to 82nd street. Some time after the 2000 censes The City of Portland was forced by the State Legislature to extend eastwards to NE 182 (?) and SE 202nd (not exactly sure of current city limits.)

From what I am aware of, many who live on the West side, and some in the Near East side, don't have any idea that the City of Portland includes anything East of 82nd street. Provided of course these people have any concept that Portland extends east of Mt. Tabor.

I do recommend the Hollywood district. From the portions I saw, very briefly last fall, I noticed brick front houses, very well kept lawns, and great neighborhood business district on NE Sandy. Just remember, the shorter the walking distance to the Hollywood MAX line stop, the more supply / demand curve drives up real estate prices. It has to do with walking in the cold damp drizzle rain in December / January with a heavy bag of groceries on the way home.

Last edited by philwithbeard; 08-15-2010 at 07:45 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 PM

19 posts, read 34,940 times
E Burnside divides NE from SE Portland. The Hollywood Neighborhood is in NE Portland. NW is west of the Willamette.

Generally close-in SE is between the Willamette River and SE 50th and E Burnside and SE Powell - but there is not anything official to my knowledge.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:15 PM

Ops My mistake, Yes Hollywood in in NE district.

I really don't think 'close-in' SE extends to 60th street. I really think it only refers to River to SE 28th.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 PM

2,220 posts, read 4,253,030 times
Back before the reality of living in Portland was even a twinkling in my eye, I thought that anything past 39th was the boondocks! Can you imagine?

Nowadays, I consider the 60s to be the divider between inner and outer SE, roughly. Maybe even out to 82nd.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 PM

19 posts, read 34,940 times
I actually said 50th.

But, you know what, It may be that the further out you are the further out Close-In is! I live near 39th and 50th is the consensus among my peers and Realtors that I've talked to.

Same here backdrifter: When I bought years ago I didn't want to live east of 39th under any conditions (Well, except Mt. Tabor). How things have changed.

While being close-in is good, there are many good SE hoods that are not "close-in" that are also good depending on your needs. Woodstock, Eastmorland, etc.

Close-In SE is not as affordable as it used to be by a long shot. It is a way nicer place to live now though.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Thank you all so much. I've been looking at Hollywood/Mt. Tabor area for something close to MAX, farmers markets, coffee shops, etc... Prices seem to trend downwards the farther you are from MAX, as you all mentioned, but also the further east you go. How long does it typically take to take MAX from the Hollywood station to, say, the Pearl District? I'm sure this fluctuates based on rush hours, but just an average time?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:32 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,957,119 times
Growing up in SE, (I'm in my 60's) we always considered west of 39th Ave and south of Burnside to be "close in".
39th to 82nd was SE, and everything past 82nd was considered "East".

The area south of Duke, North of Johnson Creek, bordered by 82nd on the east and 52nd and Flavel on the west was called "Felony Flats", officially Errol Heights, now known as Brentwood Darlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland