U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 AM

474 posts, read 712,979 times
It is all of the spores, molds & pollens in the PNW. I never had allergies growing up in Portland but when I returned to Portland after 2 years in NYC I developed them. I was 25 at the time & still have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 01:00 PM

13,215 posts, read 9,280,870 times
There is a candle shop in North Portland that is owned by former New Orleans residents who also moved after Katrina. They have been very successful. Last Mardi Gras, they had an open house complete with King cake, gumbo and beads. It was their way of saying thanks to the customers who supported them in their first year here.

People who come here with a plan are usually the ones who succeed.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM

24 posts, read 29,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
There is a candle shop in North Portland that is owned by former New Orleans residents who also moved after Katrina. They have been very successful. Last Mardi Gras, they had an open house complete with King cake, gumbo and beads. It was their way of saying thanks to the customers who supported them in their first year here.

That's awesome! I plan to look them up when we get there.

We have a "Mardi Gras Tree" with lots of beads and masks and doubloons as well as the lights. It's beautiful. We miss the parades. Ya'll don't know how to throw a parade up here! LOL

Old 08-28-2010, 04:26 PM

13,215 posts, read 9,280,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGiegler View Post
That's awesome! I plan to look them up when we get there.

We have a "Mardi Gras Tree" with lots of beads and masks and doubloons as well as the lights. It's beautiful. We miss the parades. Ya'll don't know how to throw a parade up here! LOL
I hope this isn't against board rules but here is the URL of the shop.

Their website talks about their experience moving to Portland from New Orleans after Katrina.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:09 PM

Thank you!

Old 08-29-2010, 02:29 PM

7,559 posts, read 7,118,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Ah, yes, I know them, too! Her father owns a candle and botanical shop in New Orleans and we decided to visit the place when we were there last year.

To the OP, I've met a fair amount of people from NOLA, some that were post-Katrina, others weren't. Some couldn't adapt (weather, culture), others did and love it. I think you've done your homework and are ready.

Welcome.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I was, indeed, born in New Orleans, but lived most of my life on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. And that's where I was when Katrina wiped everything out.

S.A.D. does affect me pretty badly. I am planning on treating it this year with light therapy, exercise and possibly herbs. As for culture shock, I think the liberal climate here in Oregon suits me and mine MUCH better than ultra conservative Mississippi, where I never did fit in. We love it here already and can't wait until we find a way to make it further north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland