Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:27 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,885,865 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe our fearless leader (Sam Adams?) is unable to rid downtown of the street punks calling themselves homeless! These kids are not truly homeless. They are capable and if they would clean up and stop destructive behavior, then they could start contributing to social security. I can barely walk around the area with my small children without a gang of kids and their dogs coming around and trying to scare my kids. We go to NYC for crying out loud and this behavior is not seen because Guliani got rid of the homeless in visible areas to mass tourists! The West coast cities need to do this! My beloved S.F. is full of homeless and it makes me sick. I see the same here in PDX and Seattle. Our City's businesses need a fighting shot! I can't believe the mayor let's the homeless hang all over downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:11 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,987,305 times
This isn't a problem for the leaders (mayors, governers, congress, president, etc). This is a problem that lies with each kid or person that thinks it's okay to sit on their ass and not attempt to work. If they can't see that it's wrong to not want to work, and that it's unacceptable, then it is THEIR fault, not others. And carrying on this way AND bothering people for money is even more insane.

If I was without a job, I'd be visiting busineses all day long asking if they needed any extra help. In one day, dozens of businesses and possibilities could be checked. Even in today's economy, a day or two at that rate will likely uncover something.

The problem is, these folks don't even want to try. Based on their lack of effort, they should get a corresponding lack of food/funds/support/sympathy. Working is a very basic responsibility that has always existed in this country. There's no excuse for this trend of laziness, and working folks being sympathetic and condoning/accepting that lifestyle. "Oh, the poor kids". Yeah right.

This type of problem only flourishes in areas where it is accepted and allowed. In other areas though, people know it's not acceptable, so they don't even think of going in that direction. In the end, those areas will have higher productivity and rewards, and less welfare-state issues, disfunction, and hopelessness.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 05-10-2011 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,081,406 times
I've read about a product called The Mosquito. It emits a high-pitched screech that only kids can hear.

I doubt think that local government or businesses would invest in such a mean-spirited and discriminatory device.

Maybe there's a portable version?

Old 05-10-2011, 10:54 AM

50,105 posts, read 46,689,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Sunderpig:

About the poster you quoted... The most important thing is, the homeless person most likely was lying to the woman's husband. As the husband was insulting and, IMO, aggressively verbally assaulting the homeless person, why would the homeless **not** reply back with any phrase that would get the husband most upset; sarcastic lies.

One reason people are that low, they are NOT EMPLOYABLE in today's economy. For any one of a host of reasons, they cannot find a job; the key phrase is **cannot**.

These people are still human beings. Personally, I would rather support a safety net, and emphatically oppose encouraging the homeless to turn to violent crime. Please compare in your own mind the yearly cost of supporting homeless with charity as opposed to cost of incarceration in new prisons.
We have many of the same problems here in SD. There are the young ones who fit the exact term of transient. Basically just partying their way to some destination and are very aggressive. They are primarily living on the beach or near it. Then we have the chronic homeless. They will beg but put hardly any effort into it as they are too faded to do just that. Last but not least are the bogus homeless. They ones that park their car around the corner or walk to the same corner from their apt day after day, year after year.
Personally I avoid all of them unless I can tell they cannot work. In my opinion the more people give them money the more they will stay the same.
We have shelters but the people running them are severely misguided. They keep putting them in downtown which is expensive real estate and they can only afford to keep it open part time due the costs. They need to build it in a cheaper area and get the homeless to the shelter and quit using the reason they are putting it downtown is because that is where the homeless are. It's also where the alcohol outlets and easy begging areas are.

They are making it easy to despise the homeless by putting them front and central to be a problem for everyone that lives and works downtown.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:04 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,536,436 times
We got them all over Canada too. I was in Toronto a few weks ago and some of their signs just slayed me. One said, "Need money for weed". Another said, "Please help, too ugly to turn tricks".
I'm wondering how much money these signs generated??? LOL!!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:36 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,396,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
We got them all over Canada too. I was in Toronto a few weks ago and some of their signs just slayed me. One said, "Need money for weed". Another said, "Please help, too ugly to turn tricks".
I'm wondering how much money these signs generated??? LOL!!
Over minimum wage. In some cases over six figures a year depending on the location.

The solution is for EVERYONE to quite giving money to ANY beggar. Give it to homeless shelters instead.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:32 PM

23 posts, read 48,738 times
Just gotta say I find it HORRIBLE that so many people are so callous and uncaring for youth asking for money, when I'm sure there's a good portion of you who did the same thing in your youth. Frankly, this thread just sold me. I was debating on trying to decide between Oregon and California on which I would move to. Now I can't wait to move to Portland. This country needs more people like these "street kids" as far as I'm concerned. It needs more people who are willing to peacefully just enjoy the city they live in, without bowing down to "corporate America' and becoming "responsible" and having 2.5 kids while living in the burbs like they're EXPECTED to do. This country needs more eclectic people who are reminiscent of the 1960's hippies.

The ire of the posters here shows this to be a major part of the flavor of Portland, and I can't wait to experience it.

(By the way I used to be one of those "street kids" about 15 years ago. They aren't that bad if you'd just take the time to sit down and have a polite conversation with them, as opposed to just snubbing your nose at them.)

Old 05-13-2011, 04:40 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,469,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigzilla View Post
.... The ire of the posters here shows this to be a major part of the flavor of Portland, and I can't wait to experience it....
As pointed out by others, Portland metro is about 2.4 million people....
This forum has about 20 regular posters....
Kind of a low percentage, not even a statistical blip IMO.

Please hold your judgment of the Portland area until you get here, don't judge by this forum, we are much better providing advise on neighborhoods and grocery stores than expressing political beliefs of the larger population of Portland. Heck, if read my posts you could believe a whole lot of Portland types really hate the suburbs.....

Last edited by philwithbeard; 05-13-2011 at 05:09 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 04:55 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,396,581 times
Many of the kids ARE nice people... but that still doesn't change the fact that a large percentage of them are involved in highly illegal activities.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,343,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigzilla View Post
Just gotta say I find it HORRIBLE that so many people are so callous and uncaring for youth asking for money, when I'm sure there's a good portion of you who did the same thing in your youth. Frankly, this thread just sold me. I was debating on trying to decide between Oregon and California on which I would move to. Now I can't wait to move to Portland. This country needs more people like these "street kids" as far as I'm concerned. It needs more people who are willing to peacefully just enjoy the city they live in, without bowing down to "corporate America' and becoming "responsible" and having 2.5 kids while living in the burbs like they're EXPECTED to do. This country needs more eclectic people who are reminiscent of the 1960's hippies.

The ire of the posters here shows this to be a major part of the flavor of Portland, and I can't wait to experience it.

(By the way I used to be one of those "street kids" about 15 years ago. They aren't that bad if you'd just take the time to sit down and have a polite conversation with them, as opposed to just snubbing your nose at them.)
You may change that tune when you get here and become hassled, harrassed and even threatened all of which I have been both in my neighborhood and downtown by street kids. For some it's a game they play to intimidate people.

There are the honest ones who are really troubled and have no place to go. I have posted before about how one can tell the difference so I will not go into that again.

But rest assured, there are street kids who don't have to be there and for them it is just a game. You many not have encountered these but come on down to Portland and you will. Fiften years is a long time. Things change and you were not a "homeless" kid in Portland.

In other words, walk a mile (between Yamhill and Morrison) in our shoes and see what you come up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland