Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 10:55 PM

7 posts, read 13,360 times

Advertisements

Hi, Trying to sort out this forum process (very old school person--not so much "old" but definitely "old school"). We are hoping to gain some perspective from locals on neighborhoods to investigate for upcoming condo purchase. Need some place that has amenities/shops within walking distance. Delivered a conference paper at PSU and fell in love with Portland. We have returned a few times during diff. seasons and like the upper SW Goose Hollow and NW up the hill sections. We have seen some very small condos in older buildings near NW 23rd (and around the hospital), and they are reminiscent of parts of the Bay area--a good thing for walkability and public transport access. Just wondering if these areas have a reputation for being snobbish and/or tourist-saturated? We are comfortable everywhere and cope well with all environments (all over world), so this is just a broad rumination. There are some appealing places on the SW hill, heading up toward the park (close to the big stucco Envoy building); again, not sure if there are any "sub-texts" for these areas that we should know. Investments secure up there? All help is appreciated. Thanks. Salal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 11:09 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,897,237 times
I think I read in Portland Monthly, a few months back in issue on upcoming neighborhoods in Portland and on neighborhoods that hold their value, NW area is high on that list. I am trying to get my mom to move to that area. I am from S.F. originally. The NW reminds me of the trendy area of Union Street and the Fillmore. Every amenity is in that neighborhood. Please read Nell Plotts and Minervah on this forum for real estate info. I am sure they know about the condos in which you are inquiring. Portland is beautiful and different from the Bay Area. It is special in it's own way. Sounds like you have found that out for yourself. Please ask as many questions on this forum. I have found people to very helpful. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,532,888 times
I have lived in NW Portland & close-in SW for over 45 years not including absences for college, NYC & Puget Sound. I love the area, saw families move out of the mansions of the past, some streets in the flats get seedy, then people realized what a treasure it is and move back.

We recently down-sized so visited a number of properties. Our criteria included single level/accessibility (looking ahead) so there were some we didn't visit. Also, we are wary of buildings constructed during the housing boom because I fear shortcuts were taken and few conversions from rental housing have the room sizes we want. Because I have opinions about specific properties if Salal would PM me we can talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland