Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:16 AM

42 posts, read 85,262 times

Advertisements

For most of my adult life I have had my own car. Now I have moved into Daybreak Cohousing in North Portland, and a big reason for choosing Daybreak was to use the public transportation that is at our doorstep. I also joined Zip Cars and we have a few Zip Cars parked nearby. I am now contemplating getting rid of my personal car and going car-less, but I am surprised at the anxiety attacks I have when contemplating not having a car at my fingertips. I'd love to hear from others who have broken their addiction to having a personal car. How did you do it? What advice can you give me?
Laura
www.DaybreakCohousing.org

Last edited by portlandapd; 09-17-2010 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: didn't bold the title of the discussion thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:27 AM

499 posts, read 1,446,434 times
I got rid of my car about 4 years ago & joined Zipcar. I couldn't be happier. I'm saving a ton of money not having a car. Public transportation or walking is all I need to get around & the few times I do need a vehicle I go to zipcar. Last month when I was driving a zipcar & had to go 16 blocks out of my way just to cross the street I was reminded how much I hate driving. Go for it. I don't think you'll regret it.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 PM

147 posts, read 578,078 times
Just Do It!!
well, if you're hesitant maybe just wait until your car stop working and then don't buy a new car.
Our car broke down and we went with Zipcar + trimet for a few months. It worked pretty well.

problems
- when we went to CA for a visit and got a rental car, I declined the insurance automatically. I think I should have taken insurance because we don't have car insurance anymore.
- didn't go for day trips much because cost/too much hassle.

If I work near downtown and have no kid, then we would definitely stay carfree.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
I never had an addiction because I never had a car. I have been living in Portland for over 30 years and have gotten along just fine without one. You have to alter your lifestyle from having the convenience of owning a car but it is completely doable.

I take cabs or the kind offers of friends for a ride when public transportation doesn't make it but that is not very often.

Don't panic, you will do just fine. If you want some tips on how to live car-free give me a PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 PM

404 posts, read 1,337,990 times
I LOVE having my car

Old 09-20-2010, 06:40 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechmanOR View Post
I LOVE having my car
Then by all means, you should never give it up. But many people cannot afford one or have to give theirs up due to inabiltiy to drive because of old age or illness or a number of other reasons.

Helping the OP and anyone else in these positions is what this thread is about.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,728 times
what about bicycle as another alternate form of transportation? Portland is not very big, you can get most places on a bike.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM

42 posts, read 85,262 times
Bicycling is definitely in my plans. I am riding to work now. The cohousing that I live in (Daybreak) encourages bicycling by having a large storage space for bikes and a ramp to get my bike inside. But, bicycling from North Portland to my doctor appointment at Washington Square is not realistic. And definitely not when it is raining. A lot of things are accessible using bicycle in my neighborhood and bus/Max to go downtown. What gets harder is to get to things in the suburbs, and at different times of the year. I hate to have to change my doctor, but going to Washington Square would be very complicated without a car.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandapd View Post
going to Washington Square would be very complicated without a car.
Actually, it wouldn't be that bad if you hopped on the MAX with your bike and got off at the Beaverton TC. Looks like about four miles. Wouldn't be fantastic in the rain, but certainly doable.

Personally, I had no car in Portland for a year and hardly missed it (I got my license suspended--not recommended, haha). Now I have one, and use it infrequently. I'll second what puerco said, it sounds like you would be fine without a vehicle, especially if you have joined Zipcar. Obviously, using the car less means more figuring out how bike, walk, and run places, but I see that as more of a fun challenge than a real problem. Anyway, I hope it works out for you.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,021,659 times
There are buses to Washington Square from downtown Portland and from the Beaverton Transit Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland