U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:34 AM

42 posts, read 86,226 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on where in the city to get the best ceviche?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 03:56 PM

1,657 posts, read 3,972,933 times
OK, I will ask....

Can you describe what you mean by cheviche?

when I Googled, I only came up with some sort of Peruvian seafood dish which I never heard of before. Sounds like a food-cart special.

??????

Old 10-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Yep, ceviche is a Peruvian seafood dish. Uncooked. Well, that's not true. It's not cooked in the traditional sense but marinated in citrus (lime, lemon, etc.) which essentially kills harmful parasites. Think sushi, in a way.

The only place I can think that may have this is Andina, but, meh, I dunno. They get such high reviews but I just don't see what's so special about them. Peruvian food is delicious, simple, peasant food anything else is just slapping a big price tag on it and using different words to describe what doesn't need improving.

Whoops! Off on a tangent! My mistake!

Perhaps there is a Peruvian food cart out there someone knows of?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:31 PM

1,657 posts, read 3,972,933 times
Do a search here:
Food Carts Portland

I found a couple of hits....

But to be honest, your description sound a lot tastier than what I found being offered. But then again this is the first I have heard about ceviche.

(Oh, thanks for describing it for us.)

Old 10-06-2010, 10:18 AM

3,506 posts, read 5,171,469 times
Try here.

cha taqueria 503.295.4077

Ceviche is very popular in Mexico. Check out the Mexican restaurants in your area. Or make your own. It's very easy.

Last edited by sayulita; 10-06-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Ah ha! Nice find, sayulita. Plus, it's on the happy hour menu.

I've been meaning to make my own for month now but I just haven't gotten around to it, not that it's very difficult, high quality of ingredients seem to be more important.

Thanks again!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 AM

3,506 posts, read 5,171,469 times
For really fresh fish (for make-it-yourself), try Uwajimaya Asian grocery store in Beaverton. Some of their fish in still swimming!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Uwajimaya certainly has a great seafood selection but I dare not travel to the 'burbs unless it's necessity. In Portland metro, the best seafood places I have found are ironically both located along the same street!

ABC Seafood (6509 SE Powell Blvd.)
Powell Street Fish Market (3380 SE Powell Blvd.)

Old 10-06-2010, 03:44 PM

57 posts, read 127,195 times
Make your own, easy to do

[SIZE=4][SIZE=4][LEFT]Ingredients[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=1][LEFT]1 pound skinless, boneless hogfish fillets (or other white, flaky fish such as
snapper or rockfish)

Pulp of 2 passion fruit
Juice of 1 navel orange
1 navel orange, supremed and roughly chopped, plus the juice
1 lemon, supremed and roughly chopped, plus the juice
1 lime, supremed and roughly chopped, plus the juice
1/4 medium red onion, sliced thin
1/2 Hass avocado, seeded, peeled, and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1 serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more fresh leaves for garnish
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Tostones, for serving, optional[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][SIZE=4][LEFT]Directions[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=1][SIZE=1][LEFT]Cut the fillets in half lengthwise, then slice each half crosswise into thin strips and place in a medium-size
nonreactive bowl. Add the orange, lemon, and lime supremes and the orange, lemon, and lime juices and stir to
combine. Add the onion, avocado, and chile, and gently fold to combine.
Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour for well-done fish or serve immediately for fresh tartare, sushi-like texture.[/LEFT]
Serve cold in small bowls, with tostones, if using, if desired.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 10-06-2010, 09:11 PM

504 posts, read 1,259,860 times
I have a much simpler recipe for Mexican ceviche. Now I'm going to have to go out & buy the ingredients & make some. I love ceviche!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland