Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 PM

87 posts, read 201,697 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me who has lived in both places? Is there really any difference between the number of gray, overcast days in Portland vs Medford??

I've lived in Portland for 3 years now and am sssslllloooowwwwllly losing my mind with the gray skies. Does Medford have any more sun? I prefer to stay on the west side of the mountains and am hoping Medford might be sunnier, is it? Don't mind periods of rain but really need sun more than 3 months a year.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 04:13 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,056,412 times
Its not Medford, its "Meffa".

Old 10-20-2010, 04:17 PM

716 posts, read 2,806,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybarry View Post
Can anyone tell me who has lived in both places? Is there really any difference between the number of gray, overcast days in Portland vs Medford??

I've lived in Portland for 3 years now and am sssslllloooowwwwllly losing my mind with the gray skies. Does Medford have any more sun? I prefer to stay on the west side of the mountains and am hoping Medford might be sunnier, is it? Don't mind periods of rain but really need sun more than 3 months a year.

Thanks
It's a tad sunnier but not enough to keep you from loosing your mind. You need to understand that being west of the Cascades will result in rain and gloom because weather patterns bump into the western face of the mountains and decide to stay put.

I'd look at Boise, Reno, Spokane, Salt Lake, Denver etc.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:30 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,873,616 times
Quote:
Don't mind periods of rain but really need sun more than 3 months a year.
Maybe its me but when they give the weather on OPB its usually for the entire West of the state and then the entire center of the State... we don't even get the eastside forecast because it is out of the listening area. Still, it says to me the weather doesn't change much city to city this side of the mountains.

H

Old 10-24-2010, 10:49 AM

10,987 posts, read 20,465,628 times
Medford is the home to fruit growers that require a minimum number of days of freezing weather and sunshine, somewhat warmer in the summer than the north end of the Wmt. Valley. Look up ideal climates for pears and you will have a clue.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:02 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,075,757 times
I guess pears like about 118 clear, sunny days/year; while Portland only gets 68 and Las Vegas has 210.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:22 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,741,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Maybe its me but when they give the weather on OPB its usually for the entire West of the state and then the entire center of the State... we don't even get the eastside forecast because it is out of the listening area. Still, it says to me the weather doesn't change much city to city this side of the mountains.

H
We're not served by Oregon Public Broadcasting down here in the lower left - radio or TV - and hence they ignore us entirely. We're Jefferson Public Broadcasting, covering Oregon and Northern California. Nice if you want California news, and a lot of it, but I don't and no longer listen.

On the east side of the Cascades, if you draw a line from Bend to Baker everything north of that is supposed to be Oregon Public Broadcasting, but it's still really the main Portland/Willamette Valley Public Broadcasting. Not surprising, since that's the population base. Supposedly Lakeview has a KOAP repeater, but I haven't been able to tune it in, even when driving through Lakeview.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:22 PM

963 posts, read 3,022,449 times
Quote:
Does Medford have any more sun? I prefer to stay on the west side of the mountains and am hoping Medford might be sunnier, is it?
Yes and no. Compared to the Willamette Valley, the Rogue River Valley has fewer cloudy days in early autumn and late spring. But when it comes to the time of year when sunshine is most wanted -- when days are shortest, from early Nov. to late Feb. -- there's still a lot of gray sky in Medford.

The Siskiyou Mts. do wring some of the moisture out of the clouds, so there is a bit of a rain shadow effect in the RRV. To really get more winter sunshine, you have to get south of the major storm track that runs throughout the latitudes of the 40's. As long as you live on the West Coast at a latitude that starts with a "4," you're going to have a significant amount of gray winter. The best bet is to get below the Vitamin D deficiency line: 35 degrees N.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,465,628 times
I like to listen to public radio via iTunes. My daughter lives in the Bay area and I have found KQED programming very interesting. OPB is available on iTunes as well.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,741,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I like to listen to public radio via iTunes. My daughter lives in the Bay area and I have found KQED programming very interesting. OPB is available on iTunes as well.
I knew we're drifting off on a parallel course here - I tend to listen to KCRW out of Santa Monica, CA for the music and the BBC for the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland