U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 PM

474 posts, read 778,193 times

Advertisements

I also can feel the changes in the weather in my joints altho I don't have very severe arthritis. NYC is the only really cold climate I lived in and I was really young so I don't know how my joints would feel in a cold climate now.
I never had sinus or allergy problems growing up in Portland but when I returned there after 4 years in NYC at the age of 25, I seemed to be allergic to everything. If it wasn't the molds it was the pollens.
I agree with Minerva, come out and test the waters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:12 PM

332 posts, read 462,018 times
If I'm having a sinus attack based on the cold and damp, I'll get in the car for errands and turn on the heat full blast, with the A/C on, on the recirculate setting. That produces hot dry air in the car very quickly far more easily (and cheaply) that I could produce those conditions in a room and really helps a lot.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:24 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,698,429 times
Back to the OP's question....

I understand that Low atmospheric pressure and damp will cause physical problems, HOWEVER, from last year I did not notice that all during the cloudy and misty winter rainy season weather we had, a permanent low pressure weather system hung over Portland. I did notice that on many days, a misty rain in the Morning and drier in afternoon, but the atmospheric pressure was middle of the road or higher. Only when a strong high pressure system built in (last few days of February, IIRC) did we have clear sky.

I think that is what the OP was asking. Is this what others got from the OP's question?

Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM

2,718 posts, read 2,409,329 times
So how were the aches and pains during the last week?
I had some moments.
The barometric pressure swung pretty wildly during the weekend of the 23rd:

I'm wondering if it's a specific pressure range that makes people ache rather than a drastic swing.
My pains did not really match up with the lowest low, in fact, I kind of enjoyed the dark heavy rain weather.

When the day is a dark rainy one, it always makes me feel like I'm home.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-28-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 PM

13,601 posts, read 10,695,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
So how were the aches and pains during the last week?
I had some moments.
The barometric pressure swung pretty wildly during the weekend of the 23rd:

I'm wondering if it's a specific pressure range that makes people ache rather than a drastic swing.
My pains did not really match up with the lowest low, in fact, I kind of enjoyed the dark heavy rain weather.

When the day is a dark rainy one, it always makes me feel like I'm home.
Interesting question. I think everyone has different levels. I have been a bit more achy since the weather has changed and had a few headaches too. But as I begin to get used to it the aches seem to subside. Either that or I just become use to them after living here all these years.

If we get a break and it gets dry with decreased pressure I begin to feel better. I don't pay much attention to what the weather is going to be but my body sure seems to.

Oh and all the lovely dampness gives me "dandelion hair."

Old 10-28-2010, 06:35 PM

42 posts, read 87,978 times
I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was 15 and the weather does play a big part in how I feel. I can handle the "bad" weather, i.e. rain, wind etc, I actually prefer it. What makes mine flair up is the weather changes. Sunny and clear on day, raining and cloudy that night, etc.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
Default Health issues in wet weather!

Found this on a ehow.com:
Inflammation Increases
If you're suffering from achy muscles and inflamed joints, a drop in the barometric pressure, which is an indication that wet weather is on its way, may be the reason because the pressure change can ignite inflammation.

Read more: Air Moisture & Muscle Aches | eHow.com Air Moisture & Muscle Aches | eHow.com

Old 12-12-2010, 01:29 AM

19 posts, read 15,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moik View Post
Do your joints hurt with the low pressure? Headaches? With changes in pressure systems, people are more prone to aches and pains. Is this something you've found living in Portland? Does your body just get "used to" it?
Also, is it possible to ride a bike for commuting to work or is the rain more than drizzle a lot of the time? Are there bike lanes in the city?

(We are considering moving from Chicago to Portland-- My criteria for a livable location: I can ride my bike to work in the summer, there is public transportation, it is possible to have a garden, dog-friendly, and mainly comprised of liberal folks. My husband's criteria: Not very sunny.)

Any insight would be appreciated!
You sound like a perfect fit for Inner NE or SE.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:48 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,329,903 times
Everything you need to know about Biking in Portland is covered on BikePortland.org Just be aware that Portland has put a lot of money into experimental bike lanes so the first time you see some of them you'll get thrown a curve ball.

If you go to Google Maps click on "Directions" and then click on the Bicycle you'll get routes that are Bicycle friendly. There is also a light rail (Trimet - MAX) option there too.

I hear that Trimet has an iPhone app that take into account bike routes also, but I don't have an iPhone to check that out.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:43 PM

13,601 posts, read 10,695,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Everything you need to know about Biking in Portland is covered on BikePortland.org Just be aware that Portland has put a lot of money into experimental bike lanes so the first time you see some of them you'll get thrown a curve ball.

If you go to Google Maps click on "Directions" and then click on the Bicycle you'll get routes that are Bicycle friendly. There is also a light rail (Trimet - MAX) option there too.

I hear that Trimet has an iPhone app that take into account bike routes also, but I don't have an iPhone to check that out.

I know they have one for bus schedules. I was waiting for a bus and the nice young woman also waiting there used her iPhone app to check when the bus was due. Then she shared the information with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland