Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 08:23 AM

50 posts, read 102,672 times

Advertisements

During my visit to Portland, I really loved the feel of the area of Willamette Heights (west of 25th north of cornell) and we could walk the kids to Chapman school. Does anyone have specific info on this area? Is it family friendly? How is Chapman? Are the trails safe to do alone? Is it city life? Any advice in general for this chicken heart stepping out of her comfort zone and resisting the suburbs would also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,482,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo44 View Post
During my visit to Portland, I really loved the feel of the area of Willamette Heights (west of 25th north of cornell) and we could walk the kids to Chapman school. Does anyone have specific info on this area? Is it family friendly? How is Chapman? Are the trails safe to do alone? Is it city life? Any advice in general for this chicken heart stepping out of her comfort zone and resisting the suburbs would also be appreciated.
Oh, lord, for someone to ask this type of question this close to Halloween, and spooking scary tales just hanging in the air....

"Get thee behind me, Satin" I have to tell my perverted and twisted sense of humor....

Someone else answer, please,

{Trolls using leg bones of young children for toothpicks, Mountain Dwarfs with axes, walking trees trying to capture young women, patches of flesh eating vegetation, Bats big as eagles waiting to swoop down on young children, caves filled with captured children waiting to be added to the soup pot....)

Phil

Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Clever Phil,

Your scenario actually sounds better than the neighborhood I was born and raised in. It's the real life monsters I am trying to avoid!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:16 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
I know the neighborhood well. There isn't a lot of turnover in the housing stock, people sometimes referr to houses by a former owner's name. The only drawback is that there are a lot of mature trees, not many open sunny lots.

It is a wonderful area for families, safe, Chapman School is excellent. One of my classmates still lives in her family home in Willamette Heights. I will give you her name and how to contact her by DM.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 10-21-2010 at 03:42 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 06:48 AM

Nell, thanks for the information. The point about mature trees is a good one, and I love natural light inside, so I will keep that in mind. I have seen a couple very nice options to rent up there, and I am going to keep it on my list of top 3 neighborhoods. Sellwood is on there as is Hillsdale, north of 10. I really like the neighborhood feel of Bridlemile and the school gets good reviews, but I have been told and read on here that it is a conservative area. I have been reading this forum for a year and I trust your opinion...thanks again

Old 10-22-2010, 09:29 AM

Where ever you choose to move renting is probably wise in this market. It will also give you the opportunity to see if the neighborhood is a good fit for your family.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,202 times
Red face Apartment or room now available (or within some months) in Willamette Heights?

I've been living [mod]in Willamette Heights[/mod] for 16+ yrs., but the house is a sale pending (surgeon & wife converting to single family residence). [mod]snip[/mod], thus I'll be homeless Nov. 1 (they're kind to give me 60 days notice).

I'm 65, retired H.S. English teacher, single, quite healthy, w/no pets, & can provide impeccable references[mod]snip[/mod]. As w/any move, it's a tough change, especially so for me. I've come to embrace the immediate neighborhood, know numerous people here, use Forest Park frequently (I'm a hiker/backpacker). It's been the best adult home I've had, truly-- a perch w/lovely views of 3 mountains, backyard deck, unique front windows. Some of you would certainly know of this home.

I write some-- poetry & short fiction-- and thus maintain unobtrusive habits as a quiet presence (yet I love chatting affably w/anyone inclined).

If any sincere reader here knows of a vacancy in W. Heights, or one coming up-- apt. OR even room-- I'd be thankful for your guidance/referral. I trust that this forum's readers might ask around even, when convenient, as word-of-mouth is my preferred strategy for relocating. I'd certainly be willing to return your benign karma.

I realize this could be the proverbial needle/haystack inquiry-- but I've learned to trust W. Heights residents as extremely helpful. I've become more than attached-- fused likely-- to our niche here, its array of interesting (& genuine) folks, the aesthetic, et. al.

Grandma always said to ask in order to find out. Please, should your grapevine ears lead to any possibility for me to remain, let me know. [mod]snip[/mod]

Respectfully, w/gratefulness,

Judd [mod]snip[/mod]

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-27-2012 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: removed personal information

Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM

Post a note at Friendly House, Food Front and all the local hang-outs, network like crazy. I don't know who has BBs in their shops any more, St. Honore wouldn't but maybe the Dragonfly does. The guy who owns/ed the 23rd St. Market has been around since the year 0, no harm in inquiring there.

You could put a note on Craigslist that you are looking for a room mate arrangement.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 08-27-2012 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: