Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 PM

34 posts, read 106,584 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a move to Atlanta and I want to get my hands on a Sunday paper this week. Does anyone know where I can buy out of state newspapers? I live in NE Portland so somewhere nearby would be ideal. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 02:24 PM

822 posts, read 2,201,758 times
You can usually buy them at Barnes & Noble or Borders book stores. At worst I'm sure you can order one online.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM

Really? Ok. I have to go there anyway to get a map of Atlanta. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2010, 05:42 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
It used to be that Rich's Cigar Store was the place to go, but that may date me as they may not be still in business.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Aww, called Barnes and Noble and Borders. They don't have them. They said to try Rich's Cigar Shop (Nell they are still in business!) but he doesn't have them either.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:23 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Coca:

I don't know why you need hard copy of the major Atlanta newspaper when most of the editorial, want ads, and real estate sections are posted on the Web.... But getting a hard copy of the Atlanta Journal just might be impossible in Portland.

Real Estate-- http://www.ajchomefinder.com/
General Want Ads--- http://ajcexchange.com/
News, sports, etc--- http://www.ajc.com/

Did you try Multnomah County Central Library, which most likely will direct you to a computer terminal and a web browser.

Good Luck.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 AM

19 posts, read 43,551 times
I'm not from Portland, but I'm a librarian so I have a natural inclination to answer questions like this.
Doing some searching around the internet I found some places that might be worth checking out:

Periodical & Book Paradise - Hollywood - Portland, OR
Fourth Avenue Newsstand - Portland, OR, 97204 - Citysearch

Does Powell's not sell newspapers from out of state? It seems they would.

You can also purchase from the newspaper itself and have it mailed. I know you can do this with back issues or mail subscriptions.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:13 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiplashSmile View Post
I'm not from Portland, but I'm a librarian so I have a natural inclination to answer questions like this.
Doing some searching around the internet I found some places that might be worth checking out:

Periodical & Book Paradise - Hollywood - Portland, OR
Fourth Avenue Newsstand - Portland, OR, 97204 - Citysearch

Does Powell's not sell newspapers from out of state? It seems they would.

You can also purchase from the newspaper itself and have it mailed. I know you can do this with back issues or mail subscriptions.
Whip Lash Smile:
Up in our small corner of the lower 48, it is easy to find out-of-state newspapers in Portland from NY Times, Wall Street, Washington DC Post, plus mainstream newspapers from Seattle and the SF bay area. Specifically, however, the Atlanta, GA newspaper and other newspapers from southern tier states which are very conservative right-wing editorially slanted newspapers are usually not included in local retail outlets in 'Left-Coast' communities like Portland. It might be easier to find International newspapers (not in english, BTW) in Portland than a copy of the Atlanta Journal.

However, I didn't think to include Christian Science Reading Rooms in my earlier post in this thread. I think there is one near the Multnomah County Main Central Library. I haven't been in one of those reading rooms in at least 35 to 40 years.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:26 PM

19 posts, read 43,551 times
Most places around here carry the same kind of papers. Hard to find the smaller ones. I would search out the newsstands in the area. You can get the AJC on a Kindle FWIW. This also seems like a weird idea but the airport might sell them, or someone with a lay over in Atlanta might leave one behind on a table.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
WHenever I needed an out-of-state newspaper (pre-internet), I would call the newspaper itself and they would mail me one. Yeah, you'll get it 4 or 5 days behind schedule, but you'll have it in-hand.

Alternatively, most public libraries keep a stock of out of state newspapers that they subscribe to.

As others have said, the internet is also a beautiful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland