Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM

6 posts, read 15,291 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! I'm a mid 20s male who moved to Portland about a month and a half ago for a graduate program. I'm loving the city and much of what it offers, but due to my schedule at school and the fact that my program isnt particularly socially cohesive, I haven't really met a lot of new people in Portland. I know this city is full of great people...its very much my vibe, I like the food, the beer, the outdoors, etc.

I live with roommates who I knew previously, but due to their jobs and relationships they don;t have particularly active social lives in the city either.

I'm looking for any suggestions as to activities/groups/places/bars/etc in Portland where I could meet people to hang out with, explore the city and the region, get outside, share common interests, etc. I know it can be a somewhat insular city in terms of social groups at times, but I was wondering if anyone has had any success meeting people through any particular outlets around PDX. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
You need to figure out what you enjoy and then participate in those activities. The gals who you see will be those who share your interests. If not, wrangle an invitation to meet their friends. There is no 'Dinner for 6' program in the metro area that I know of.

Were you my son I would recommend not frequenting bars but try coffee shops, even Annie's at Powell's. During the spring and summer there is Thirst Thursday in the Pearl, more a social than drinking event.

Let your roommates know that you are looking for introductions.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 PM

172 posts, read 418,552 times
What are you into? When I moved to Portland, it was very difficult for me. People in Portland tend to stick in groups, it's not a social adventure like NYC or Chicago. I'm a musician and finding a band on Craigslist opened up a new world for me. My girlfriend at the time was a vegan and met some people off a vegan forum for lunch, they all became good friends.

I've lived in a bunch of cities where friends, girls and jobs were a dime a dozen. Unfortunately those three things aren't as easy in Portland. Start with hobbies, maybe a softball team or something?

Old 10-31-2010, 10:28 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Have you tried the Portland section of Meet-up-dot-com?
Meetups near Portland, Oregon - Meetup

YMMV; Some Meetup groups are active and good, others not so much.

Don't forget, there are two free Internet dating sites:
OkCupid | Free Online Dating
Free Online Dating at Plentyoffish.com™
But Please, stay away from the personal adds on the street newspaper Portland Mercury' web site. You really don't want to have to check Photo ID's for under-aged dates.

I have overheard a rumor that there is now a very popular Zoosk-dot-com. It seems to have grown out of a Facebook app, and has its roots in iPad. I would think this site has an emphasis on youthful tech-savvy types.

Full Warnings and Cautions apply here, YMMV

Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM

42 posts, read 101,732 times
Newly, PDX is a tough city to really crack the clique code. I was in your shoes a few years back (5?) and scowered this city to find fun, alternative, interesting things to do that I would somehow benefit from and also meet others.

The best groups I found were usually athletic in nature.

For fun, start with the Recesstime Sports Leagues. I've had many friends who joined (I didn't because I'm a little more serious in my sports) and absolutely loved it and participated in many of their sports.

Do you like to run? There are quite a few serious groups around, one of which I am a former member of by the name of Team Red Lizard. Many, many social activities here.

There are also quite a few other sports related crews that practice in the late afternoon/evenings. I don't know names of clubs but if you Google, you'll find groups from indoor/outdoor soccer, Ultimate Frisbee, basketball, rugby and ice/field hockey. Most of these are more active in the spring/summer, however.

If you are looking for alternative and interesting people (or perhaps a significant other?) skip all of the corporate dating/meeting sites and head to the best one created only for Portland. The Portland Mercury's Lovelab. You can meet others as friends or more. I can also attest to this site and free service.

The bar scene can also work but watch for something that forces interaction such as a spelling bee night (Mississippi Pizza), Science Pubs at the Bagdad, Quiz Night or other brain games at the bars (Check the Marathon Taverna but also search through the Willamette Week for others as I know there are better).

Good luck and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: