Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM

666 posts, read 1,840,957 times

Advertisements

Mr.SmithW...

You moved from California ~20 or so years ago and you think you have the right to call out other people moving here now? If anything, your migration during that time had much more to do with the decline than the current influx. Anyone that moves here now is moving in to a place with already inflated prices and a bad economy. You also state you don't want Oregon to become what California is fiscally. Sorry, I have news for you...it already is. Between the immense budget deficits, nation leading income tax rates, and high unemployement, what else is there?

I didn't enjoy my three year stint in Los Angeles for a lot of the reasons mentioned by aroseinrain. But unfortunately those types of people are here and they are from everywhere, even Oregon. I have neighbors who refuse to recycle, make about 20 trips per day in their car, leave their lights on constantly even when they're not home, drive a suburban, use massive quantities of fertilizer on their lawn even though we live 200 yards from a river, etc. Guess where they're from? 4th generation Oregonians who's parents live in Lake Oswego.

The whole "native" versus "outsider" thing just really annoys me. First of all, unless you can trace your lineage to Native Americans that lived here 500 years ago, you are just as much an outsider as anyone else. Fine, you were born in Oregon. Big deal. All it means is that you lived here longer than I did. I was born in Chicago, but I don't make it my life's work to begrudge people for moving there. Let me tell you that there are some people moving from out of state that are better for Oregon than some "natives".

There's a case in point here on our forum. Anyone who's read this forum for a while knows Philwithbeard's posts. I don't agree with his politics, but my god, they guy is the de facto welcoming committee for Portland around here. He appears to be active in local politics and informs himself of whats going on, which I can respect. I believe he's lived here about as long as I have which is under two years. So is Phil better or worse for Portland than the native Oregonian who's collecting all kinds of state assistance because he's too stoned to get or keep a job?

Have pride in your state. I'm proud to live here and I love Oregon, warts and all. Focus on making it better, not sitting in your 4th generation house bemoaning the Californian influx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,891,847 times
@ Leftcoastee- thank you for great post! Tried to rep you but need to spread some around a bit.
@ mr.smith w- read some of my posts on here. Otherwise, I have nothing to say. Except... thank God someone is paying taxes. Go to the schools and ask the teachers if they are happy we pay property taxes! Someone has to pay property taxes and no, we aren't collecting welfare but our income taxes help out the citizens who need help. Our neighbors aren't complaining a bit that we moved in. Our kids' teachers aren't complaining one bit especially since we are active in our school. The local organic farmers aren't complaining since we support local growers and purveyors. You are great at complaining. Good for you. I do believe you are a native Californian. As I have said before, we Californians are not all the same.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM

286 posts, read 520,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
...I don't care where you came from originally as long as you live the Oregon way once you get here.

The only beef I have with outsiders moving here (and I usually cite Californians only because they are most prevalent) is when they come in their Hummers building 3000 sq. ft. homes and insisting that beauty can be purchased at the mall. Not letting me merge on the freeway or saying "thanks" when I hold open the door for them. Littering. Not hanging up their cell phone long enough to place their order at the cafe.... you get the picture. These are un-Oregonian ways to be.

I also believe that there are probably thousands of Oregonians living in the US and beyond who have never even been here before, just looking for their true home - Oregon.

I just wish that people who don't want to live the Oregon way would leave before they spoil it and people who want to play nice and get along for the greater good would come on in.

I know I'm a dreamer living in some sort of self-made phantasy world, but that's just the way I feel about it.
I just don’t understand this train of thought. Our country’s citizens who move here, whether long time residents of California or new immigrants, have every right to live any damn ‘way’ they see phit.

Our country is always evolving. The current ‘Oregonian ways’ are a far cry from the Oregonian ways of the 1920’s. Did the newly arrived settlers of Oregon follow the accepted customs and ways of the natives they displaced? I don't think so.

Newcomers to this state have every right to organize (politically and otherwise) in order to ‘make their mark on society’ just like countless others have done.

Things change, get used to it.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 PM

639 posts, read 1,595,997 times
#1. I said I was a dreamer, didn't I?

#2. "Phantasy" is a perfectly valid spelling of the word (if a bit archaic).

Old 01-20-2011, 02:47 PM

254 posts, read 652,116 times
I don't get this "or saying "thanks" when I hold open the door for them" or do you mean "Not saying thanks" if you hold the door open for them? : )

There's been some talk about traffic going to slow. I kind of like the mountain roads and when I come up on someone and even when I stay far behind they usually pull over at a turn around to let me by. So courteous. I'm amazed in a city of around 2 million I drive downtown and don't hear any honking. Does everyone get together and plan this? How does everyone know and agree? I love it! I used to be so stressed in Chicago just driving back to my house, people would honk honk honk, I didn't know if it was me or what.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,473,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant View Post
......There's been some talk about traffic going to slow. I kind of like the mountain roads and when I come up on someone and even when I stay far behind they usually pull over at a turn around to let me by. So courteous. I'm amazed in a city of around 2 million I drive downtown and don't hear any honking. Does everyone get together and plan this? How does everyone know and agree? I love it! I used to be so stressed in Chicago just driving back to my house, people would honk honk honk, I didn't know if it was me or what.
Not my original thinking, but here goes paraphrasing someone else anyway......

If you ever had body work done on your car in Portland, you would know up-close-and-personal why people drive slow and courteous in Portland... as if to avoid any wrinkling of the car. Feel free to experience the body-shop repair underground culture yourself; you may never forget the experience, from what I have heard. Ever.

Phil

Old 01-20-2011, 03:47 PM

286 posts, read 520,401 times
Quote:
...#2. "Phantasy" is a perfectly valid spelling of the word (if a bit archaic).
Cool, I like it...

Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM

600 posts, read 1,466,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarrior View Post
Native Californian, single, 40's, no family, parents dead so free to move where I want..Considering Portland--been there, Seattle and Vancouver, BC many times via car and plane (ever since 2007 when Bay Area--I am a San Jose native--graduated from UW)...

Wouldn't move unless I had a job---low cost of a starter condo, natural beauty of area, cool hoods and compact nature of area are all draws.

Fears: I am a super friendly native Californian who needs to be around happy people..I am afraid I'll miss my part time acting gigs here in Holllywood...Also wondering how hard it will be to rebuild my social and personal life at 47 yrs old--though after 4 yrs in LA don't have much of a life here...

Also the rain/shorter darker days of fall-winter spook me...

Thanks !

Dave
Portland may not be for you. Portland in reality is a little city trying to grow up. Its not very diverse and aside from downtown is mainly urban sprawl. I couldnt handle the weather...it rains or is gray 8 or 9 months out of the year. Visit during the winter/early spring and get a feel for it before moving out

Old 01-20-2011, 04:35 PM

600 posts, read 1,466,150 times
Watch the video posted in this thread and you'll have a pretty good idea of what Portland is all about

Portlandia: A Comedy Series Set In Weird and Crunchy Portland

Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 PM

51 posts, read 223,774 times
Quote:
@ Yankeemama and Mr. Smith:

I believe Oregonianism is something that comes from you, not from where you were born. I don't care where you came from originally as long as you live the Oregon way once you get here.

The only beef I have with outsiders moving here (and I usually cite Californians only because they are most prevalent) is when they come in their Hummers building 3000 sq. ft. homes and insisting that beauty can be purchased at the mall. Not letting me merge on the freeway or saying "thanks" when I hold open the door for them. Littering. Not hanging up their cell phone long enough to place their order at the cafe.... you get the picture. These are un-Oregonian ways to be.

I also believe that there are probably thousands of Oregonians living in the US and beyond who have never even been here before, just looking for their true home - Oregon.
This is cool. Sounds a lot like Hawaii.. to include the slow and courteous drivers. Which I can actually appreciate...as I'm a slower driver myself. I'll fit right in. I hope you guys like Arizonans. We too have felt the influx of Californians. Theres kind of a cliche saying around Phoenix.. that its rare to meet a local anymore since everyone is a transplant. I can't wait to get to Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland