U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,856 times
Default Can you take this Portland forum seriously?

I lurked here a long time and noticed the regular posters on this forum are about .004% of the total population of Portland and most of them don't even live here and since I have been in Portland 3months almost NOTHING that has been said on this forum is actually the way Portland is really except for descriptions of trees and rain this forum is not an accurate portrayal of the way Portland is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,476,976 times
I gave you a rep point for that post. I agree to some degree, but I think the employment picture is grim for those seeking low wage "anything' type jobs.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 PM

94 posts, read 243,971 times
Please describe your view of Portland for us / me. I am very curious to hear from some of the previous 99.996% of the Portland population that isn't on the board. Thanks!

As an aside, what is a person from Portland called? A Portlander? Portlandian? Portlandite?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:16 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,476,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750 View Post
......As an aside, what is a person from Portland called? A Portlander? Portlandian? Portlandite?
{Inside joke....}

Paleface

{you will understand, long about late March to late April, after 5 months or so of cloud cover....}

Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM

13,184 posts, read 9,218,159 times
People are posting their points of view as they see it. It's information given from the perspective of their experience and knowledge of the city. Just because you disagree with what you see here doesn't make it any less valid.

I do agree with you on one point though. People who do not live here and never did are sometimes quick to give an opinion which does not reflect experience. I can remember a couple of years back a woman posted a great deal giving all sorts of information and opinions sounding very knowledgeable about the city but very biased towards it as well.

Anytime someone posted something negative she pounced. I didn't know where she came up with some of her ideas, but I figured they were her observations from living here.

I really thought she was a long time resident until I saw her post on another city forum talking about her neighborhood in Minniapolis.
Someone else saw her Minniapolis posting and the next time she posted in the Portland forum called her on it. She went away and never came back.

Turns out, she wanted to move to Portland and like so many had idealized it to the max making it the next best thing after Nirvana. Her information must have been derived from what she read on the Internet and maybe a visit but she had no day-to-day living experience here. Yet she gave out advice freely on living in Portland.

So of course you have to take what's posted with a grain of salt. But that is true any time people are giving opinions. I think there is a lot of truth about Portland posted here.

Can you tell us what you think is incorrect information? Or what it is you don't agree with? It would be interesting to hear.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 PM

9,417 posts, read 6,188,553 times
It seems like a lot of the discussion on the boards here revolves around people who either have only visited Portland or lived in Portland in short while---and whose opinion of Portland is based around some very broad stereotypes or misconceptions.

-Portland is rainy and gray the whole year--it's even worse than Seattle!
-Every Portlander is a extreme leftist liberal hipster who will attack you for even being the least bit conservative!
-Portland is overrun with mobs of homeless people on every street corner!
-The MAX is costly waste of money that leads to an increase in crime and roving youth gangs eveywhere it's been built!
-It's impossible to land a decent job here unless you're connected...

There is a grain of truth behind a lot of stereotypes, and sadly the job market really is difficult here. But if you can land a job here--and many people do manage to land jobs in Portland--and most people I know are gainfully employed--and some even have well paying careers in their field of choice--Portland isn't the awful hellhole that some like to grouse about on this board. And yeah there are a lot of hipster kids and leftist ideologues, but there are plenty of moderate, laidback folks--both natives and transplants--who are capable of intelligent political discussion. The weather can rain in July, but in can be 60 degrees and sunny in February too. The homeless are bad downtown, but in my neighborhood, I've seen a homeless person maybe once. And so on... To those who live in Portland and love it you learn to take the good with the bad. But if you only visit somewhere once or occasionally, you obviously have a narrow range of experiences to judge it on.

That being said, there are alot of regular posters on the Portland forum who are obviously longterm Portland residents or who have a good sense of the city--and whose commentary I find very entertaining and knowledgable.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 PM

474 posts, read 709,921 times
JayZ750-Deezus just answered your question. They're called Portlanders. And Oregonians.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:04 AM

2,590 posts, read 2,425,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralHenry View Post
I lurked here a long time and noticed the regular posters on this forum are about .004% of the total population of Portland and most of them don't even live here and since I have been in Portland 3months almost NOTHING that has been said on this forum is actually the way Portland is really except for descriptions of trees and rain this forum is not an accurate portrayal of the way Portland is.
So often on City Data fora, I'm reminded of the old tale about six blind people who learn what an elephant is by touching different parts of it's body. The impressions formed are all very different based on what they touched - the tail, the hide, the trunk etc.

RuralHenry, as a long time resident, I'd like to hear your impressions of Portland as contrasted to what you thought it would be based on all the posts you read. Is it better or worse than you thought? It's been 35 years since I formed my first impressions of Portland (without the help of the internet!) and I'd love to hear what yours are.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 AM

8,267 posts, read 9,392,064 times
At one time in my now miserable life i was going to sell my home & move to portland. After reading the many portland threads i decided not to. I would go nuts with days/months of cloudy & gloomy weather + jobs are scarce & democrats are ugh (republicans arent much better).

I may move to colo though.

Sorry portlanders.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:43 AM

432 posts, read 526,926 times
When I lived in Northern California, I rarely visited the CA forum. Why should I? I already knew all about it! ;-)

I appreciate the people in the state/city forums, including this one, who do live in the places and are willing to share what they know with others. Now that I'm living temporarily in the midwest, I post in my state's forum to help others who are considering moving there. I've been lurking in the Portland forum because I'm planning my next move.

I'm the opposite of steel7. I prefer cloudy weather, like Democrats, and don't need a job because I'm retired. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland