U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM

351 posts, read 723,842 times
Default Where to buy Alaska King salmon?

I guess I'm a bit of a salmon snob and didn't realize it. I'm from California and my grocery stores generally just carried Alaskan King salmon. I live just north of Vancouver (posted here because more activity in the Portland forum) and see several other types of salmon for sale (Keta, Chinook are all I can recall at the moment) and we don't like the taste. Are King salmon scarce this year? Or has the season not hit yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM

15,940 posts, read 15,500,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
I guess I'm a bit of a salmon snob and didn't realize it. I'm from California and my grocery stores generally just carried Alaskan King salmon. I live just north of Vancouver (posted here because more activity in the Portland forum) and see several other types of salmon for sale (Keta, Chinook are all I can recall at the moment) and we don't like the taste. Are King salmon scarce this year? Or has the season not hit yet?
Chinook Salmon is King Salmon.

The King salmon run wasn't the best this year...winter kings haven't begun.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Oh, and take a look here:

Wild Alaska Salmon, Chinook, Coho, Sockeye Salmon and Smoked Salmon.

I noticed they have a 503 area code so they must be in the Portland area.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:19 PM

351 posts, read 723,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Chinook Salmon is King Salmon.

The King salmon run wasn't the best this year...winter kings haven't begun.
Oh, I didn't know Chinook is the same as King. Maybe I was just unlucky with the one I tried, will try again.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:27 PM

Also try the link I provided. And the Alaska Seafood Institute has a list of suppliers:

Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute (ASMI)

You're smart to avoid keta salmon. Although it's being very heavily marketed and hyped, it's what we call in Alaska "dog salmon"...meaning that we feed it to our dogs.

I have however tried some ocean caught dog (chum) salmon that wasn't terribly bad.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:36 PM

6,738 posts, read 7,389,242 times
Avoid Atlantic Salmon, they are all farm raised.

Costco has great wild salmon, in season.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Status: "Still holding on to flip flop weather!" (set 1 day ago)

4,133 posts, read 7,959,547 times
A lot of the King Salmon that I've seen while visiting in the LA area (and even San Francisco, where they should know better) is farm-raised - very pale pink/unnatural orange and mushy in texture. Maybe the OP is used to the taste of farm and doesn't care for real Chinook?

Usually what you'll find in the stores here is:

Chinook Salmon/ King Salmon
Coho Salmon/ Silver Salmon
Sockeye Salmon/ Red Salmon
Chum Salmon/ Keta Salmon/ Dog Salmon

There are specific runs, like Copper River salmon, which can be Chinook, Coho or Sockeye. You can usually get fresh (never-frozen) Chinook and Coho during the season. It's also sold flash-frozen (even during the season). I think the texture of fresh is best, but it has a very short shelf-life and sometimes you are better off buying flash-frozen.

How are you cooking salmon? IMHO, Chinook doesn't stand up well to heavy sauces. Grilled quickly or plank-smoked is best, and cooked until the translucent flesh is just starting to turn will get the most tender salmon.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,042,678 times
Since the question was WHERE to buy salmon, I'll answer that: Pacific Seafood on SE Powell is likely the best fishmonger you'll find in the Portland area.

A lot of people go and buy a filet over at Fred Meyer or something and then ask "what the big deal" is about northwest fish, not realizing that they are getting something completely inferior. I'd suggest trying some salmon from a dedicated fishmonger like the one above before deciding whether you "don't like" a certain variety of salmon.

That being said, when I lived in Portland and got a hankering for salmon, I'd make an excuse to take a weekend trip to Seattle, and would buy some fish while I was up there. It's vastly superior to what you can find in the Portland area (which is vastly superior to what you could find in, say, Denver, etc. - it's a hierarchy thing)

Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 PM

2,572 posts, read 2,216,240 times
Jeez.............even the Salmon suck in Portland..............

Try the old standby, Troys Fish Market in Oregon City.
Spring chinook are far better than Fall Chinook by the way. More fat and oil content.

And Metlakatla, they are called Dog Salmon because of their teeth, not because they are fed to dogs.
I hope nobody reads your post and feeds raw salmon scraps to their dog.
If you feed raw or undercooked Salmon to a dog it will get really sick and may die.

See here for a description of Chum Salmon:
Chum Salmon: Wildlife Notebook Series - Alaska Department of Fish and Game

See here for the dog poisoning info:
Salmon Poisoning Disease

Old 11-15-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Try the old standby, Troys Fish Market in Oregon City.
Spring chinook is far better than Fall Chinook by the way. More fat and oil content.

And Metlakatla, they are called Dog Salmon because of their teeth, not because they are fed to dogs.

If you feed raw or undercooked Salmon to a dog it will get really sick and may die.
See here for a description of Chum Salmon:
Chum Salmon: Wildlife Notebook Series - Alaska Department of Fish and Game

See here for the dog poisoning info:
Salmon Poisoning Disease
That's one of the reasons (the teeth), yes.

Quite a few people in Alaska do feed it to their dogs, but they don't feed it to them raw.

Salmon, All About Pacific Salmon, History of Salmon, Salmon Recipes

Quote:
Chum or Dog: Average size 10 to 15 pounds, up to 33 pounds. Large flaked, very light in color, low in oil, and is especially suitable for cooked dishes where color is not important. Male chum salmon develop large "teeth" during spawning, which resemble canine teeth. This many explain the nickname dog salmon. It is also said they are called Dog Salmon since they are commonly dried and used for feeding dog teams during winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland