U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 AM

2,617 posts, read 2,563,121 times
I would rule out Tualatin Heights and Stoneridge at Cornell. Too far away from work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,821,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagtech360 View Post
Tualatin Heights (sw of PDX)
9301 SW Sagert St
Tualatin, OR 97062
Call: (888) 465-0536
** 36 min to work
800-1300/mon
I agree this would be too far from work. 36 minutes might be do-able if you work swing shift or graveyard, otherwise there will be traffic.
Quote:
Harrison Tower Apartments - downtown 25 stories
222 SW Harrison Street
Portland, OR 97201
Call: (888) 517-9541
1000-1600/mon
This would be a gentle introduction to urban living. It's a high-rise on the south edge of downtown. I used to work in the area, and I think the location would be great. I have seen people with pets walking out of the building.
Quote:
**Village At Cascade Park
501 SE 123rd Avenue
Vancouver, WA 98683
Call: (866) 693-2093
pets allowed
14min
700-900/mon
This is a large complex very typical of the east side of Vancouver. A friend used to live there. Pretty convenient to SR-14 and then I-205 to get to the airport area, but may get some freeway noise. Not luxury, but clean and pretty safe.
Quote:
Heritage Green (se Vancouver)
3100 SE 168th Avenue
Vancouver, WA 98683
Call: (866) 471-8460
pets
14min
800-1000/mon
Another pretty typical large Vancouver complex. Nicer than Village at Cascade Park, and slightly further to the freeway. I think they have garages available.

For these East Vancouver locations You should really consider taking the bus from the Fishers Landing Transit Center. You take it across the river to the Parkrose Transit Center, then you can take Max or one of several buses to your workplace. It's actually more convenient than you'd imagine. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:59 AM

34 posts, read 47,010 times
Thank you for your input and evaluations of these locations. It helps alot!! I did post this in the Vancouver forum as well. Thank you!

Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM

6,566 posts, read 7,172,659 times
My opinion: If you are working in Vancouver live in Vancouver. Otherwise what you save in rent will be spent on the commute and you still pay Oregon income taxes. The amount you save in housing, if you are renting a small apartment, will be modest.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 PM

34 posts, read 47,010 times
It seems a little more difficult to find a decent apartment near the location I will be working and that it still in Portland. Most searches in my price range and initial liking come up in Vancouver. Here is a link to a map I put together. Can you offer any initial thoughts before I start digging into each one?

Portland places to live - Google Maps

One other thing I would like to consider is the children population. I would prefer a place with few children. Thank you!

Last edited by jagtech360; 12-08-2010 at 09:07 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 PM

6,566 posts, read 7,172,659 times
Apartments in the urban center and buildings with studios & 1 bedroom units have few children.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:17 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,572,407 times
I can give a mild endorsement to the Russellville Commons near SE 102nd between SE Stark and E Burnside. This is large Townhouse community near the blue line max station on SE 102. Near two grocery stores, walking distance to a local doughnut shop, a Chicago Pizza, and a Target store at Mall 205.

But the biggie is how close to the Blue Max stop. Ride to up to Gateway Transit center, change over to Red line, and Red line to Airport. I don't know how close your work is to airport proper, but you can look it up on the TriMet web site for walking (cycling?) to your actual work place.
TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area Save some money on gas.

My 'vibes' is this is an older residence place, as in quite a few semi-retired may live there; Of course, YMMV. Walking distance to a great breakfast place Elmer's, and a middle of the road family restaurant Village Inn that has built a reputation on great pies and desert. Just down Stark street toward town (past SE 82nd), is the small Stark street business district- quaint.

Be aware, the actual neighborhood of that large complex you are looking at is safe and mostly crime free (there are exceptions) but if you look at a map, at the corner of SE Stark and I-205 there are some very low scale motels that have a reputation (and police statistics) as a place for working girls to meet clients who phone-in for appointments from their ads on Web "personals". Link below shows theft from cars, Disorderly Conduct, and Bike Theft for the parking lot of that community or complex.
PortlandMaps Detail Report

Link to Portland's Hazelwood Neighborhood association page.
Hazelwood Neighborhood Association
Note: the population data is from 1990, that is 20 years ago. Some of the other info is also way out of date.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:12 AM

254 posts, read 370,417 times
I vote for the downtown living. He said he is single and looking. The suburbs are like any suburbs, kind of quiet. Downtown Portland I think you'll find it easy talking to people and a energetic place.

Last edited by Ryant; 12-09-2010 at 12:33 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 07:09 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,572,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant View Post
I vote for the downtown living. He said he is single and looking. The suburbs are like any suburbs, kind of quiet. Downtown Portland I think you'll find it easy talking to people and a energetic place.
Depends....
If OP wants the intense urban lifestyle and commuting to work out by the airport every day, then you are correct.

Appleton WI is (was?) known for it's straight laced social conservative old school populism. In my previous posts, I was going more for a minimizing of cultural shock to a Portland newbie. If the OP was from Madison WI, hey, downtown all the way, perfect fit; Portland reminds me a lot as a large scale Madison, but with less snow and bitter cold. The free open libertine social life of Portland could be a cultural shock to some people as well as the long gray overcast sky (but mild temps).

When I lived in Madison way back when, Madison was known by most the rest of the state of Wisconsin as the place where young virtuous men and women become aquatinted with, and seduced by, such immoral and indecent ways as Democrats, Progressives, and {shutter} Liberal-Social-Reformers. And now, you want to just toss the OP, a complete Portland newbie and innocent person from Appleton, into the wild and libertine ways of the Pearl, and into the core of moral depravity of it's anti-Republican Party fervor. Just what would the OP's poor Grandmothers have to think, if they learned about this?.....

Old 12-09-2010, 09:33 AM

254 posts, read 370,417 times
Good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland