Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2021, 03:45 PM

39 posts, read 84,999 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I am a teacher relocating to the area with one dog and one cat. There do not seem to be a lot of rentals in St. Helen's. Any one have any ideas?? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 11:48 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Look in Scappoose.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:52 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
If you get desperate there is always Longview. It would be about a half hour commute.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:26 PM

Longview would be a good choice.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:58 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Longview would be a good choice.
It isn't the prettiest or most upscale area. But will probably be a good bet for finding a rental with pets if you can't find anything you want in St. Helens. When I worked in Ridgefield I had co-workers who commuted from Longview and that was about the same exact distance as a Longview to St. Helens commute would be. They didn't seem to mind.

Portland is going to be a lot tougher. Especially the NW part of Portland that is going to be closest to St. Helens. Housing is going to be more expensive and more scarce and probably harder to locate with a dog.

In your shoes I might resign myself to getting something relatively temporary in a place like Longview if you can't find something to your liking in St. Helens proper. And then keep your eye open for something more local and be ready to move when a good local option opens up. Once you are working in St. Helens you'll probably come across more options through local word of mouth.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:40 PM

In the PNW relationships are important. A month-to-month or 6-month lease in Longview will give you a chance to explore more options.

You might also look for doggie-day-care for your pup as the move will be hard on him/her.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:11 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
In the past my daughter rented a room with house privileges, a very large yard and accepted dogs around Hood River for a year. Perhaps you could find an arrangement somewhere closer to St Helens? Or a rental that also has a cottage on its property. My daughter was very happy. The owner was a younger person who wasn’t there full time and rented out 2 other rooms. It was a great set up and she had a built-in support group who helped out with dog sitting etc.

I agree with the above post about relationships being very important. It can open a lot of doors. At least for my daughter it did.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:38 AM

908 posts, read 1,661,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annasoeiro View Post
Hi there! I am a teacher relocating to the area with one dog and one cat. There do not seem to be a lot of rentals in St. Helen's. Any one have any ideas?? Thank you in advance!

yeah lol i bet this person gave up because as all of us locals know, THERE IS VERY LITTLE FOR RENT in the entire Portland metro area. Or other populated areas of the state.

We are having a rental housing crisis and please, do everyone a favor including yourself, and do not come. since you also posted about moving to salem as a teacher, well, i also question what your real story is. Sounds like some kind of fishing expedition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland