Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 15,224 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I have read a ton of stuff about Portland on these forums and others.
Taking the advice of a previous poster from these forums, I took a trip to Portland just this month to see what it was like in the winter (the poster said come in the winter, not the summer to make sure you can handle the weather).

Well, what can I say? I fell in love with the city and I loved the cloudy weather ( I am from the desert New Mexico and the sun gives me migraines). Furthermore, the stable barometric pressure and temperature range left me migraine free for the whole time I was there. The day i got back to ABQ, migraine city!

Furthermore, I loved the cuisine, the culture, the feel of it. Even the street folks were nicer than where I come from.

I know Portland isn't perfect, it isn't some shining emerald city on the river, but it looked like the kind of place my wife and I could make a new start.

Only problem for us is, the job market and economy. Everyone says it is next to impossible to get a job, and a number of posters have said that certain skills are more in demand and might improve our chances. In fact, many of the postings we have seen has scared us half to death that we will end up destitute!

My wife and I are both Computer Technicians, we have a ton of experience, and we'd be willing to do something else if we had to (call center customer service, wait tables, etc. etc.).

Also, I looked on Dice.com, and when i total up the IT jobs in PDX, it shows around 700. For my town, it shows around 80!

Most of what we have seen makes it sound like the unemployment rate is 99% or if you do get a job it is as a temp worker cleaning sewers for sub-minimum wage.

I have a feeling it is tough, and if we moved, we'd probably come with 6 months saved up and the attitude of we will take what we can get without too much expectations.

Sorry for the long winded novel here, but we really want to make a move-does anyone have any advice for us, any stories about success moving and getting a job there or any horror stories?

What am I missing here? Is it impossible to make in PDX?

I thank anyone in advance for any advice or information. I really do love these forums, and appreciate everyone's opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 PM

172 posts, read 418,588 times
Do you have a degree in Computer engineering? It seems a lot of the computer jobs in PDX are running dry, I'm sure a lot of technician jobs are going to new grads/laid off experienced people in the area. Networking is very important, most open jobs are filled before an ad is put on the web. You're going to get a handful of comments from others, don't take them too personal. If you have the will and desire, you will survive in Portland. I moved to Portland in 2005/2006 without a penny to my name, nowhere to live and no job. I was hired within a week and did very well for myself right out of college. My experience isn't typical but it isn't impossible.

Seattle has a better economy and may do better for you as a computer technician. Very similar to Portland, a bit more expensive, though. The thing is, Portland is a super awesome place but this brings a lot of competition. I'm sure there are many other computer technicians trying to move to the area.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Default Job Skills -Poster Reply

Thanks for the reply-degree is in IT Networking and I have an A+ Certificate. Mostly work as Desktop/Breakfix/Help Desk technician. From what your post sounds like, there might be skilled engineers competing for the lower tech jobs, and that sounds consistent with what I have read on other posts and forums.

I have worked for a number of fortune 500's and have a pretty good resume, but I am thinking that might not mean much out in PDX, especially being from out of state and all.

I figure there is a lot of competition, and we are mulling over Seattle somewhat, we are just nervous about how expensive it is-Rents seem almost as much as San Francisco!!

I don't like the thought of Portland natives losing out to transplants from other states-Where I am from, there isn't too much of that, but I guess I wouldn't like it if it happened to me.

Even where I am from, houses got more expensive when folks from CA came out and bought up real estate, driving the prices up.

Thanks for the reply, I am considering Seattle-Overall, I love the Pacific Northwest and would consider Seattle, Portland, even Tacoma.

I hate that the economy is so tough, especially in such a great place like Portland.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
If you can find a position at a corporation with a need for your skill set in Portland, even if there is no opening at the moment, you have the best opportunity to move with the least stress. Basically, a corporation would rather hire a person working successfully in their organization than hire from the outside, 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't know'.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:40 PM

Default "devil you don't know"

Thanks for the reply!

I hear it is hard to get a job in Portland without living there, since so many people want to move there.

I had kind of hoped that maybe a lot of the people wanting to move there didn't have a ton of skills or education and what not, but i know that was wishful thinking.

All the cities I love everyone else wants to live in and they are expensive (San Fran, Portland, Seattle).

If I do make a move there, I will take the advice I have heard and plan for a long job search and come well stocked and with savings.

The phrase I keep hearing over and over is-"the job market is as bad as they say it is".

Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Hessian:

just FYI, as it were. I worked with computers before I retired. I have been lead to believe that Portland is more of a Linux town (Linux is more common) than in other communities I have lived. People who are knowledgeable about interconnecting Windows desktop with Linux database servers and networks where Linux desktops, Mac, and Windows desktops all co-exist and interconnect with Linux database servers have a slight edge (ever so slight edge) in the job market in PDX. But, as I am retired, I don't have personal experience with this.

In general, A+ and windows desktop support types are well beyond the saturation level in PDX.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
The only openings in that field (CSRs) that I have seen were at a Danish manufacturer of security cameras establishing a US & Americas headquarters in Beaverton. Fluency in Spanish was also desired.

Oregon also has a couple inter-net security operations that likely also use CSRs.

CSR=Customer Service Representative

Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM

Thanks Philwithbeard and Nell-Great info!!

Old 12-04-2010, 06:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
The only jobs I know of that are actually attainable are advanced positions in the medical fields. Although there had been some layoffs, doctors, nurses and higher level lab techs seem to be able to find jobs a bit more readily than in most other fields.

My company which is one of the largest in Portland recently laid off many in their IT department. The first to go where the ones with the most experience and degrees. They were partially replaced by people with less knowledge and experience. It isn't working well as far as how things are being run but it is more than likely saving them a ton of money.

I always thought that if employers from other cities were looking for high level techies with top notch skills, they should search in Portland because they seem to be here in abundance.

This is all anecdotal from my observations having worked here for many years. I just know too many high skilled IT people who have been out of work for several years.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 PM

172 posts, read 418,588 times
My neighbor works at NYU (not sure of her job title but she helps with recruitment) and told me a few of last year's law graduates got picked up by a few Portland firms, she said specifically, that they are looking for health lawyers. I think Lewis and Clark has a good health law program, if you're interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland