U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 PM

6,053 posts, read 6,598,886 times
Bump??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 05:03 PM

640 posts, read 874,392 times
Urban Dictionary: bump

Old 01-14-2011, 02:23 PM

6,478 posts, read 5,377,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoatanMan View Post
No, we do not... We want to make the move next year... Arbor is a huge home builder, don't you think that they would done their due-diligence before building an entire community...? I have heard nothing but good things on this builder... I want to live in the West Hills, Forrest Heights area and it seems like Arbor Heights is to our liking... I will be up there in Jan to look at homes and I will ask them about the soil that in which you speak...
Arbor homes is the areas biggest builder. they're the Walmart of home builders in Portland. They tend to build entire neighborhoods in the space of short amount of time. Their houses are very cookie cutter in design, and without differing paint schemes, hard to differentiate. They use to help finance their homes too - but I do not know if they still do.

They have probably contributed more physically to urban sprawl in Portland then any other single factor.

But they also have several layers of quality. Their cheapest end homes are just that, cheap. Expect to be finding cracks in walls in 5-10 years. Their high end homes are nice and put together well. But again they're put up really quickly.

In my opinion, their best overall quality tends to be in one off homes. The construction crews tend to have more time to put it together and take much better care in doing so, but it's still not that great.

I took a couple of tours through their neighborhoods a few years ago while looking to buy, and was appalled by some of the techniques and general sloppiness they were using. Things like nails and screws left under rugs, using nails instead of screws for drywall, mud INSIDE electrical boxes. Wood step supports encased in concrete, but directly contacting the ground on the bottom.

As far as I know they do not touch remodels though - they're new home construction only.

If you're looking to go cheap, they're the people to build you a house. If you're looking for anything over "OK" quality, there are tons of other places Construction companies to go with. (I can give a list via PM for those interested.)

Old 01-14-2011, 03:41 PM

Frankly I would not purchase a home less than 10 years old. First, during the housing boom there were few skilled construction workers available - many did sloppy work. Second, at the 10 year point construction defects and poor site work start to become evident. Just because a builder or developer is large does not mean that they build good houses. If you really want to buy a house by a large builder find one that is 10 years old.

"don't you think that they would done their due-diligence before building an entire community...? " No I do not.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:50 PM

6,478 posts, read 5,377,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Frankly I would not purchase a home less than 10 years old. First, during the housing boom there were few skilled construction workers available - many did sloppy work. Second, at the 10 year point construction defects and poor site work start to become evident. Just because a builder or developer is large does not mean that they build good houses. If you really want to buy a house by a large builder find one that is 10 years old.

"don't you think that they would done their due-diligence before building an entire community...? " No I do not.
I personally would shove that out to 15 or 20, but that is 100% because I can not stand the cookie cutter homes that are popping up all over the place. A house should have character, and not because it's practically leaning on it's neighbor.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:18 PM

Me nether, but primarily because of the quality of construction. I suggested 10 years because that is about as old as 'new home' shoppers are willing to consider. People who think that buying a new home is smart because it will be trouble free don't know spec builders. Oh sooo trusting..

Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,599 times
I know the reputation of the builders. They're good people and they put pride in their work. Arbor Heights is in a great area too but their neighborhoods are usually very different than West Hills or Forest Heights which are much more elite and expensive. Probably around $650K minimum (I'm not sure) to buy a home there. They're also in hilly areas which make traveling in (our rare) snowstorms difficult.

I live in a very nice neighborhood about 3 miles away from Arbor Heights and Forest Heights. Last year my nextdoor neighbors sold their home. It was gorgeous, completely redone with top-of-the-line features, new central air, gourmet kitchen, new appliances, new carpeting, new window coverings, sinks, flooring, etc. Their yard is large and has a pond complete with coy. It sold for around the same as you'd pay at Arbor Heights and will ultimately appreciate more than the tiny homes and lots in Arbor Heights.

I have the name of a realtor I trust explicitly. He sold me my home 17 years ago and I'm still glad that he lead me here. I was looking elsewhere thinking it was a better deal (and it was not). He's an Oregon native and knows the area inside and out. He has morals too.

People around here completely renovate their homes before sale, it's a tight-knit community, safe, we have an HOA (a good thing), large yards (many with water features), . . . My yard is worth around $50K on it's own whereas in Arbor Heights your neighbors will be joining, invited or not, every outdoor event you have because of the small lots and yards.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact me.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:53 PM

39 posts, read 57,003 times
The schools are excellent: Findley Elementary, Stoller Middle and Sunset High (or it could be Westview High) are the best schools in the Beaverton district. As for Arbor Homes, I have lived in one of their homes in a development close to Arbor Heights for 9 + years. The walls haven't started cracking yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland