U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2011, 01:59 PM

254 posts, read 384,908 times

Advertisements

So I think we answered the OPs question for once..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:03 PM

286 posts, read 297,209 times
Just one comment on this thread, the OP used the term Ďinfestedí three times in his first post.

As this word is usually associated with vermin or parasites, am I the only one who finds the use of this word applied to the homeless as being offensive, or am I just too thin skinned?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 PM

640 posts, read 943,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
Just one comment on this thread, the OP used the term ‘infested’ three times in his first post.

As this word is usually associated with vermin or parasites, am I the only one who finds the use of this word applied to the homeless as being offensive, or am I just too thin skinned?
I noticed that too... I think it was an intentional word play. I suppose I'm pretty thin skinned too because I keep thinking they are going to recommend an exterminator.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM

400 posts, read 778,974 times
Multnomah County homeless service providers will receive $9.8M in federal grants

So, the feds are giving close to $10million in grants to homeless service providers. They've got priorities backwards.

Meanwhile, did you know that City of Portland's customer service is epic fail, because of "budget cuts"? Instead of cutting funds for code enforcement and providing allowance for "homeless services", they could use that $10 million to enforce zoning code to enforce nuisance abatement for properties with chronic homeless camping issues. Overgrown grass is against city code. So is leaving trash that creates vermin issues. It should also be against the city code to operate functions that increase homeless infestation or failing to take measures to abate camping on private property.

It's definitely going downhill since Sam Adams.

Did I mention city's permit issuing office is closed on Mondays and its only open from 8-3 Tuesday to Friday?

Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM

400 posts, read 778,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
I drove up the coast from Santa Barbara to Portland last summer. Along the way I saw a large amount of transients hitchhiking and/or hitting you up for money when you stopped somewhere. They were virtually all somewhere in between hippies and vagrants, and almost all under 30.

This is a lifestyle on the West Coast. You don't see it in the east. It's one reason that so many cities on the West Coast have significant homeless populations.

That said, Portland will probably have a relatively high homeless population for many years, but it can take steps to make itself a less hospitable environment for homeless, so that they either don't want to stay, or don't want to come at all.

One way to do that it by requiring all homeless to sleep in a shelter. Shelters with strict rules about controlled substances and behavior. Yes, I know, there aren't enough beds, but you can bet your arm that if the cops went around telling all the homeless they see that they can either sleep in a shelter, get out of town, or go to jail, a large portion of the homeless population would go somewhere else. Better that than give up their dope.

Is it "kicking the can down the road?" Sure, but each local government can only do so much.
Something about constitutional rights and such, so you can't make "panhandling" downright illegal, however you can punish those who give to panhandlers.

You're at a light. car in front of you is stopped for a few seconds longer than necessary because they were giving money to a transient. Cite that guy for impeding traffic. Enforce the preexisting regulations on stopping in middle of the road or pulling over on freeway entrance.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:04 AM

5,682 posts, read 4,548,074 times
Tech, buddy, do yourself a favor and get some help before we have to read about you on MSNBC News. You are a ticking bomb. Or a nuisance. Which is it? Not a rhetorical question.

H

Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 AM

80 posts, read 118,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechmanOR View Post
Something about constitutional rights and such, so you can't make "panhandling" downright illegal, however you can punish those who give to panhandlers.

You're at a light. car in front of you is stopped for a few seconds longer than necessary because they were giving money to a transient. Cite that guy for impeding traffic. Enforce the preexisting regulations on stopping in middle of the road or pulling over on freeway entrance.

Salt Lake City enacted a city ordinance a couple years ago to control its aggressive Panhandlers and large homeless population where one could be cited and fined if caught giving money to Panhandlers. They also began posting large billboards all around the city that read: Support Shelters Not Panhandling. I really think Portland should consider going this route. A walk through downtown Portland can really be a sad and disturbing experience because of all the homeless and transiets. I've really never seen anything like it. But I'm really starting to get the feeling that Portland city leaders are quite content with having such a large homeless population and aren't the least bit concerned with the negative effect it has on our cities image.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 PM

506 posts, read 738,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechmanOR View Post

You don't have to make panhandling illegal. I don't think it should be anyway. Anyone has the right to ask anyone else a question in a public area, whether that question is "can you give me some money?" or anything else.

However, it can and probably should be made illegal , or enforced if it is already, to sleep or camp in any of those public areas. Other places have gone the route of making homeless go to a shelter instead of sleeping in public. It's worked for them. Enforcing existing law is a first step.

If enough people pressure their elected officials to start doing something, they will. If no one does, they probably won't.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:33 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,500,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanlover85 View Post
Salt Lake City enacted a city ordinance a couple years ago to control its aggressive Panhandlers and large homeless population where one could be cited and fined if caught giving money to Panhandlers. They also began posting large billboards all around the city that read: Support Shelters Not Panhandling. I really think Portland should consider going this route. A walk through downtown Portland can really be a sad and disturbing experience because of all the homeless and transiets. I've really never seen anything like it. But I'm really starting to get the feeling that Portland city leaders are quite content with having such a large homeless population and aren't the least bit concerned with the negative effect it has on our cities image.

I agree and I've really never seen anything like it before either. Many residents and politicians seem quite content with this situation and image in this city. This to me is very disturbing even though Im told its a decades old problem in Portland. Hell quite a few people seem oblivious to it. This year seems worse than ever. I have been asked by people in two food courts here in town, if I would give them half my sandwich. The Lloyd Center and Pioneer Place. I said no Im sorry. These people are half my age, and Im taking Social Security in less than a year. I have more than paid my dues to society in my working career. Enough is Enough. I think at my age and with the income restrictions that come with retirement. Then I am entitled to lunch out now and then and in peace.

People can give to all these panhandlers if they want that is their business. However I do think that those that give are part of the problem. I do wonder though these people that give all this money. Whats their story. I don't think its just kindness and sorrow for all these homeless/Panhandlers. Obviously many panhandlers are scam artist and freeloaders. One would have to be rather naive not to know that. Something else is going on, when people just hand over money to these people day after day in Portland. Many of these people are just preying on innocent people that work for a living. If their not asking for money they want to use your cell phone when your riding the max train.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 PM

132 posts, read 298,605 times
I have not read all the posts here, but I can summarize the original topic question in two words: "LIBERALISM" "HANDOUTS"..

I have a very wealthy and cheapskate uncle from Brooklyn who use to go to the homeless shelters to get his food, because he was too cheap to buy his own. Yes, I CRAP YOU NOT!! He told us the food there was actually quite good quality, as good as anything he could get at the store. Just like an old world Jewish man he is, if it's cheap get it! This guy has like almost 1 million dollars to his name and he attends the homeless food shelters on a regular basis. No, he doesn't do it to mingle and understand the homeless people. Ah, that would make such a nice movie or book. Nope! He does it because the food tastes good and is free!! Seriously, in this country the homeless can even eat better than wealthy people. Why bother working or living a normal life full of all its problems and hardships, when you get all the free food and clothing you need? All the extra money the homeless get from panhandling can help support their drug and alcohol habits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland