U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-01-2011, 11:35 AM

435 posts, read 626,371 times
Question Questions on CURRENT sunny weather & rain noise

Here are two weather questions for anyone who lives in/near Portland and isn't tired of this topic.

1) I see from online forecasts that Portland is having a string of 4 mostly sunny days (1/1/11 to 1/4/11). For those who've lived there for years, does this seem unusual? I assume it's welcomed by most.

2) What percentage of Portland's rain can you actually hear hitting your roof (in a typical one-story house) vs. the "mist" rain that you wouldn't really hear? It's a psychological factor I was wondering about.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-01-2011, 12:00 PM

5,567 posts, read 5,964,168 times
1) I see from online forecasts that Portland is having a string of 4 mostly sunny days (1/1/11 to 1/4/11). For those who've lived there for years, does this seem unusual? I assume it's welcomed by most.

Not unusual. Happens in the winter when the wind is from the east (high pressure on the east side of the Cascades). The sun is nice but the associated chill is not. You will hear from some of us old timers, "Too cold to snow." in the Wmt. Valley,

2) What percentage of Portland's rain can you actually hear hitting your roof (in a typical one-story house) vs. the "mist" rain that you wouldn't really hear? It's a psychological factor I was wondering about.

That depends on how well your roof is insulated. More commonly you hear it when it hits the windows as wind driven rain. How often that happens depends in large part on whether or not your home is exposed to east or westward storms.

Unread 01-01-2011, 03:40 PM

2,139 posts, read 1,725,053 times
Very typical for the Portland area this time of year.

Unread 01-01-2011, 04:20 PM

614 posts, read 763,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post

Not unusual. Happens in the winter when the wind is from the east (high pressure on the east side of the Cascades). The sun is nice but the associated chill is not. You will hear from some of us old timers, "Too cold to snow." in the Wmt. Valley,

That depends on how well your roof is insulated. More commonly you hear it when it hits the windows as wind driven rain. How often that happens depends in large part on whether or not your home is exposed to east or westward storms.
Agreed on both, although my specific answer to #2 is "rarely, unless you plan on living in a tent".

Unread 01-01-2011, 04:27 PM

2,543 posts, read 2,266,513 times
I have a skylight on the vaulted ceiling of my two story house. That's mostly from where I can hear the rain. And I sleep with a window open almost year round, except on the coldest nights. With that I can hear the rain pounding on my and my neighbor's roof. It's just about my favorite sound in the world. I even thought once about getting a baby monitor set up outside to better hear the rain. I didn't, but it's not out of the question.

Unread 01-01-2011, 05:42 PM

6,014 posts, read 4,334,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Here are two weather questions for anyone who lives in/near Portland and isn't tired of this topic.

Thanks.
1. It's very common. Sunny weather is usually welcome, but in the winter, it's generally accompanied by colder weather. Which it is. Very cold. The cloud layer acts as an insulation.

2. Very rarely. I work in a windowless building, and it's rare enough that I can hear rain, that it makes me go to the door and look out.

Unread 01-02-2011, 03:04 PM

207 posts, read 208,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post

Thanks.
1. I haven't lived here for years yet, but went over years of past weather pattern records before moving here, and this does seem normal. Though it's kind of nice to see the sun (and it warms the side of the apartment that's mostly windows), I'd actually prefer it to be cloudy/misty/drippy-rainy; it's too cold when it's clear (like today).

2. I don't hear the rain much on our townhouse roof; as someone else mentioned, it's mainly when the wind-driven rain hits the windows that one hears it. I enjoy that sound, however.

Unread 01-03-2011, 07:51 AM

474 posts, read 675,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I have a skylight on the vaulted ceiling of my two story house. That's mostly from where I can hear the rain. And I sleep with a window open almost year round, except on the coldest nights. With that I can hear the rain pounding on my and my neighbor's roof. It's just about my favorite sound in the world. I even thought once about getting a baby monitor set up outside to better hear the rain. I didn't, but it's not out of the question.
It's a wonderful sound and it used to lull me to sleep in my top-floor bedroom when I was a kid.

Unread 01-13-2011, 11:49 AM

57 posts, read 118,070 times
I grew up in Portland and moved to California. I miss that rain noise. All I get now is loud banging and pounding noises from the neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland