U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:32 PM

10,960 posts, read 19,536,502 times

Advertisements

Much depends on your lifestyle. Rents are higher in the Portland core area and around NIKE or Intel. You could look at a couple suburban towns such as McMinnville. Because it is a college town and professors keep their own children focused on academics the schools should be decent.

Were I you I would plan on living below my means in retirement. First you will have twins to send to college and, frankly, none of us knows what will happen to public pensions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 27,088,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
I am eligible to retire next year from an FD here in SoCal and, after applying taxes like I am used to here, I would net around $4100/month.
Is this enough to support a family of 4 comfortably while renting a decent house in Portland?
My wife would like to get her writing career moving again and if I am not working full time I could raise my twinlets while she did her thing.
We have looked at baja, where we spend a lot of time, but we are also ready for a completely new paradigm and non-desert lifestyle.
My oldest is applying for her upper grad degree in Eugene so it would be nice to be in the same state. Eugene doesn't hold much appeal for me.
It will be really rough but people have done it when they were very determined. Personally, if I were to be taking a chance on the well-being of my family, I wouldn't do it.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,387 times
Default Milwaukie

There are really nice apartments $650-800 in the suburbs Milwaukie (97267) not (97222) has some nice areas. So does Clackamas.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:22 PM

144 posts, read 478,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It will be really rough but people have done it when they were very determined. Personally, if I were to be taking a chance on the well-being of my family, I wouldn't do it.
Well, I am probably going to work a few more years as a FF but I am eligible at 50....
I would like to work in the renewable energy sector when I retire but this is a heck of an economy to start a new career in.
My retirement will go up 3% a year until I am maxed out at the age of 57 so if I chose to work longer I could add another $2k/month to my retirement.....
Just not sure I want to be a 57 year old FF......not too good for the ticker and the big C that is always lurking out there.
Well, time and exploration will tell.....I do love Mexico!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland