Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times

Advertisements

OT Reply:

There is a Walmart on SE 82nd ave. And a Walmart Supercenter somewhere near the Wood Village / Troutdale area.

But isn't there a Walmart a few miles west of Hillsboro? Google maps list one out in Cornelius OR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post

I cant believe you dont have Walmart. Is that because its considered white trash? I personally love walmart. I shop their all the time because everything is so affordable.
It's not about white trash-ness, it's because Walmart is generally considered to be socially irresponsible. Portlanders are all about being socially responsible.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 AM

254 posts, read 653,329 times
Quote:
The math test here is just a quick timed test that each employer gives. They also give you a personality test. I think the math test is to weed out illegals because we have a ton of them. But then I dont understand why they dont have an English test instead of math. Anyways you cant use a calculator and its timed so if you dont naturally remember the fractions you did in high school you can have a hard time getting a job here. It sucks.

I cant believe you dont have Walmart. Is that because its considered white trash? I personally love walmart. I shop their all the time because everything is so affordable.

I have been looking at different apartments in Beaverton and cant believe how cheap it is compared to Cali. I can get a one bedroom for $600 or a 2 bedroom for $900. And those have washer and dryers and nice pools. My apartment in Cali is a hole with no central air or heat, no washer or dryer, bugs everywhere, and the rent is $1,100 and up. You would think the wages would be way lower in Beaverton since rent is so much less but OR actually has a higher minimum wage than us.
Yeah, it seems cheep to live out here to me too.. The best Walmart is the one out by Troutdale : )

Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 AM

75 posts, read 319,485 times
Thanks Ryant. I dont know what I would do without my walmart. Its so much more affordable than target. Im guessing the reason people dont like it is because the products come from less-blessed countries? Some people say its supporting child labor or unfair wages. But other people argue that even though they are under paid, they are getting jobs and getting paid something, which is better than nothing, so we are actually helping their economy. But I just shop there because its cheap.

Anyways, maybe if I was coming from somewhere else OR would see standard or even expensive. But coming from CA the rent seems like a dream come true. I think the reason people over pay to live in CA is the warm weather and beaches. But I just dont think that's worth spending all your paycheck on rent.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks Ryant. I dont know what I would do without my walmart. Its so much more affordable than target. Im guessing the reason people dont like it is because the products come from less-blessed countries? Some people say its supporting child labor or unfair wages. But other people argue that even though they are under paid, they are getting jobs and getting paid something, which is better than nothing, so we are actually helping their economy. But I just shop there because its cheap.

Anyways, maybe if I was coming from somewhere else OR would see standard or even expensive. But coming from CA the rent seems like a dream come true. I think the reason people over pay to live in CA is the warm weather and beaches. But I just dont think that's worth spending all your paycheck on rent.
I totally agree with you about California costing way to much for what you get. People pay millions to live there in neighborhoods that are just so-so. And regarding Walmart; the funny thing is that Walmart is near the top of the list of companies that are perceived as socially irresponsible AND the list of companies that are perceived as socially responsible. Weird hu?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
While many in Portland don't like Walmart because of their employment practices another factor is the amount of parking required for their stores and Portland's costlier parking landscaping requirements. Land costs, generally, decrease in a radius starting at Portland's city center. Notice that Costco stores are also on the periphery, however, the demographic for their customers is higher income than Walmart so they can afford to be closer to the city center.

FYI, there is a Walmart in Scappoose.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 AM

75 posts, read 319,485 times
I saw there is a Walmart Supercenter in Vancouver WA also. Wondering if that one would be closer to go to than the Woodburn OR one. ?? It shows it on a map as a shorter distance but maybe its farther due to traffic? My husband used to work at walmart and one of my best friends works there now. They both liked it. I have always wanted to shop at a supercenter walmart (with groceries), as we dont have those anywhere in my area.

I know people said Vancouver WA will be a hard commute to Portland (but it looks so close on the map), Im guessing due to traffic. How do rents compare between Beaverton and Vancouver? Does anyone know. I want to get the most bang for my buck, while still being in a safe family friendly area of course.

Someone told me that Vancouver/Portland gets a lot of acid rain. Is this true? I have not experienced this before. What does acid rain do to you? Is it dangerous??

Old 01-18-2011, 11:24 AM

here's an article regarding acid rain in Oregon:
More on Acid Rain

Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
It's not about white trash-ness, it's because Walmart is generally considered to be socially irresponsible. Portlanders are all about being socially responsible.
Other issues: When filing their paperwork they drastically underestimate the number of cars that will visit the store. When they were looking at Cedar Hills, they filed for 5000 extra cars during peak hours. Unfortunately, no Walmart in the US has such a low number during peak hours. The lowest is double that.

Sexual Harrasment and Sexual discrimination suits surround the company. They settled a huge joint-suit a few years ago among employees at a couple of stores in the South.

Walmart touts that their full time employees are well paid for retail (~$12.50/hour.) What they forget to tell anybody is that 90% of their employees are worked to one hour below full time and paid much closer to minimum wage.

They also keep most of their workforce off of full time to reduce health care costs. The company provides brochures and information to local free health clinics for their part timers.

In 75% of cases, local municipalities tax incomes are drastically decreased as local businesses are shut down because they can't compete.

There are tons more reasons, but Wal-Mart Sucks! explains them all.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:47 PM

@hamellr:

yes, that's what I meant by socially irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland