Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 PM

20 posts, read 112,509 times

Advertisements

Looking into moving to Portland in a few months with my friend and out two dogs. We are both in are early twenties, love culture, being outside, meeting new people, and of course being with our dogs! Daily walks/visits to the dog park are needed. We would like to meet people around our age group (24-30). We are not the regular bar-hoppers so we definitely want to be close to other activities, galleries, parks, shows etc..

We would like to be semi-close to downtown but also be in a safe neighborhood. Hoping to pay around $1200 for a small house or townhome (hopefully with a yard)

From all of this, does Sunnyside sound like the right area for us?

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab.painter View Post
...but also be in a safe neighborhood. From all of this, does Sunnyside sound like the right area for us?
In a word, no. I'd suggest almost any area other than Sunnyside (Clackamas).

Each of these areas/towns have dog parks and might be affordable for you. They are very close to downtown (accessibility-wise), shopping, activities, etc.:

West Linn (at least two large dog parks; Mary S. Young Park)
Lake Oswego (near Hwy 43)
Tualatin
north Milwaukie
Sellwood, Woodstock neighborhoods of Portland

Hopefully, that's a little bit of help.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
I disagree, as Sunnyside, which is part of the SE Hawthorne street area in Portland City, would IMHO be a good fit.

However Sunnyside maybe a bit out of your price range unless you both moved into a shared home situation. For your specific wishes, (except the dog run park bit) look to the Eastern side of Sunnyside, or Richmond Neighborhoods, between SE Stark ST and SE Division St and between SE 39th (Chavez Blvd) and 60th street. Note: as you get within luggable distance to the big grocery store Fred Myers (AKA, Kroger by another name) at SE Hawthorne and SE 39th, rent goes up.

Avoid like the plague any hint of living in bland and boring suburbia Car-Is-King land, as you could live in suburbia in just about any other city in USA and not tell the difference.

The point of a couple of 20-something living in Portland with their pets, is to experience the joy of living in an urban diverse community (such as it is in Portland) with the diversions and amusements of an urban environment. If you didn't have the pets, there would be other neighborhoods I would also recommend closer in to the center of the city of Portland.

Please Google: Moving to Portland. Some good info on the neighborhoods of the City of Portland. A bit Rah-Rah, but the web host is in the Real Estate business, so what would you expect?

Just please have jobs, as finding employment is very hard and difficult.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:34 PM

254 posts, read 653,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Avoid like the plague any hint of living in bland and boring suburbia Car-Is-King land, .
Good post Phil. Portland is a good place to live downtown or close in: Traffic isn't too bad, and you can get out of the city pretty easy when you want a breather. Recommend this too!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I think Sunnyside would suit you but houses are not easy to find to rent and very expensive. You can stay around that area if you like it by moving a bit West to Buckman. It's a bit cheaper. I don't think $1200 will get you what you are looking for in any of the close-in neighborhoods in the city that are near the things you list.

You might actually have better luck in the burbs but then which one would probably be determined by where your jobs will be. Some are good commutes and some are not.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 PM

20 posts, read 112,509 times
Thats for all of the info! It is hard to pick out an area from so far away! Just from what I had read it sounded like Sunnyside was a pretty laid back place to live (which we love). I am not too concerned with being in walking distance to dog parks, as long as it is nearby- we go on lots of walks around the neighborhood.

Both of us have worked in many different fields of work and have been searching a bit and feel confident with the move. I have done this once before, you just have to be prepared!

Any other suggestions that you think would help us out in the move would be great!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Experience in "many different fields" could work to your detriment. The few jobs available are usually those that are highly specialized especially in the medical field. As you start your job-hunt try to determine what you can do that others or few others can't. If you are looking at jobs like wait-staffing, general office, IT you are looking at a lot of competition. Before you move, determine what possibilities there are for you for work.

$1200 will probably not get you a house in the Sunnyside neighborhood but it will get you a nice apartment.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 AM

LOL...someone says 'Sunnyside" and I automatically think of Sunnyside Road, by and east of I205, as in Clackamas. Sorry for the confusion ~

Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,319 times
No no no. Sunnyside is not a nice or safe area at all - if you want to be near the freeway that is. Sunnyside is an area off 82nd Avenue which has the highest concentration of prostitution in the city. Also has high crime. Look where PP suggested, West Linn, Lake Oswego, Sellwood, etc.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Avoid like the plague any hint of living in bland and boring suburbia Car-Is-King land, as you could live in suburbia in just about any other city in USA and not tell the difference.
I agree with this...over the years Wilsonville, et al became indistinguishable from So.California to me. However, there are older, more eclectic neighborhoods in some PDX suburbs which are far more affordable than Portland proper. And if price is a consideration, those areas shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. IMHO ~

this is something to keep in mind. Portland is not a cheap city to live in: I don't think $1200 will get you what you are looking for in any of the close-in neighborhoods in the city that are near the things you list.

This is a site that has brief descriptions of inner south east neighborhoods:
Southeast Portland by Neighborhood (http://www.superrealtygroup.com/southeast-portland.asp - broken link)

You might also check this for pet-friendly rentals:
Portland Pooch - Portland, Oregon Dog-Friendly Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland