Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,614,703 times

Advertisements

You don't need to stay away, you just need to keep your thick NYC skin for disagreements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,775,670 times
Quote:
oldtintype: You don't need to stay away, you just need to keep your thick NYC skin for disagreements
Ah, so you see, I have become acclimated to the West! My thick skin is eroding!

Actually, though, since I don't live in Portland, and I'm not up-to-date on what's popular and what's not there, I really shouldn't be giving opinions of that nature, anyway. Those of you up there would know what would work best anyway. It's just an interesting topic to me.

I live in Limbo now anyway -- part of me still has that eastcoast vibe, and the other part is westcoast -- I've got a foot in both worlds -- and I tend to lose my balance sometimes!

Thanks for giving me some space, and I appreciate it!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,371 times
Smile I heart NY

We moved out West (western washington) from NY last year to search areas and we have decided to settle on Portland. We've visited half a dozen times in the last 3 months and next month it will become home! Each time we visited we look forward to stopping in Korblatts Deli on 23rd. I miss my bagel/lox/red onion/with Capers (thank goodness somewhere remembers the capers!!

You can take the girl outta NY....yada yada yada

I Vote YES for the KNISH!!
shoot.....now I got a cravin

I love all ethnic food, but as any food lovin NY Jew will argue, a knish is a knish is a knish! Not an empanada LOL!

Now if I could only find a Bialy without getting that
"eww that's weird" look! It's almost as if they think I'm crazy!

Shalom you silly Yenta's

Portland is YUMMY!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:46 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,067,689 times
GiaMaria,

Yes, I am just assuming that if you make a great knish, it will go over well even on the Moon. I appreciate the advice about calling it an "Empanada", but the more I thought about it, the more indignant I became. It is almost
sacrilegious to call it by another name. I figure that the quality and taste will speak for itself. People all over the world have heard of Coney Island, right? Well, knishes are as Coney Island as Hot Dogs. I really do have the recipe that seems to be the one that people prefer, so why not? Thanks for the pep talk. Much appreciated. How do you like living in Portland. I will be visiting in late August for the first time and I'm hoping that it strikes the right chord for me. Wish me luck!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,067,689 times
Default Alias, The Knishe???

Wisteria,

You have given me great info and I'm going to heed some of what you say.
Although, if you read my response to GiaMaria, I must insist that a knish be called knish! Everything must be marketed, so maybe I'll give out mini (cocktail size) knishes as free samples. I have to get to Portland first to see if the energy there is right for me and the knishes. Got to have chemstry and fall in love before I commit. Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:38 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,775,670 times
Quote:
sickofny:You have given me great info and I'm going to heed some of what you say.
Although, if you read my response to GiaMaria, I must insist that a knish be called knish! Everything must be marketed, so maybe I'll give out mini (cocktail size) knishes as free samples. I have to get to Portland first to see if the energy there is right for me and the knishes. Got to have chemstry and fall in love before I commit. Thanks for all the help.
I'm sure that coming from NYC, that you'll have a blast! Portland is a very pretty city -- it really is. I couldn't live there with the rain, but I have SAD, so it pretty much rules out the Northwest for me.

Yeah, sorry, about the empanada thing -- just trying to think of things people could relate to out here -- there is not a big Jewish population by any means, so it's a little tougher in that way. I'd love to see more New Yorkers come out here and bring a bit of culture and food!!

Yes, free samples are a great idea! When I had my health food business, I was able to give out free samples in many places - it helps a great deal!

I'm sure if you put your mind to it and have the passion, that you will succeed. Just remember to post here at some point and let us know when your knishes will be available!!

Good luck to you!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:22 PM

8,806 posts, read 21,228,986 times
Dear Oldtintype , I have heard that Portland is like the San Francisco of twenty five years ago. Do you find that to be true?

Old 07-21-2007, 12:34 PM
AKS

10 posts, read 33,002 times
Hey There,Been living here in Portland almost twenty years you and your food would fit right into the life of these yuppies here.Plan on moving back to Great falls where I was raised soon .You probably used to millions of people I'm like fish out of water here 2.2 million people here,

Old 07-21-2007, 12:34 PM

8,806 posts, read 21,228,986 times
And.....how about egg creams. Does any place other than NYC have those ? Now, I have not had a decent egg cream in years & years and I have been living right here in New York.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:38 PM

91 posts, read 435,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
aplwh,
I haven't had those, but we had a place called Shatzkins in Brooklyn in Coney Island and they were super successful. They went out of business due to a family problem or soemthing. Everybody still talks about them. All kinds of fillings. So good. I have the recipe and I'd like to give it a try somewhere away from here. I'm hearing that Portlanders will not know what a knish is. Is that true? Maybe it's time they find out. Thanks for the feedback. Any suggestions?
Ooh, if you ever find yourself in Forest Hills on Queens blvd and 67th (I think) - south side of QB , it's right on the corner. So soft and fluffy with just the right crust! They make mini's too, in regular, spinach and brocolli -all good!!!!

I did fine that Portland had tons of Far East foods (thank God!), but not much in way of mid east or eastern European - really too bad. Now if you bring the knish AND a real bagel AND real NY style thin crust pizza - I will be your customer for life!! I think I will miss the culinary diversity the most!

Ugh, now I'm starving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland