Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,915 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Portland this summer, and am looking for something as close to the coast as possible, but still within 10-20 miles of downtown Portland. I am from Denver and it seems Portland is very similar, in that there are tons of smaller cities surrounding the metro area.

Does anyone know what Aloha, Beaverton, Hillsboro, or Forest Grove are like? I am young, not married, and don't have a family, and don't want to be in a completely suburban area. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Where will you be working (geographically)?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohiak View Post
I am looking to move to Portland this summer, and am looking for something as close to the coast as possible, but still within 10-20 miles of downtown Portland. I am from Denver and it seems Portland is very similar, in that there are tons of smaller cities surrounding the metro area.

Does anyone know what Aloha, Beaverton, Hillsboro, or Forest Grove are like? I am young, not married, and don't have a family, and don't want to be in a completely suburban area. Thanks for the info.
Aloha, Beaverton & Hillsboro are all pretty intense suburban. Forest Grove is more separate. Any areas west of Portland out Hwy 26 (route to the North Coast) seem like they'd suit you - North Plains, or further out to Banks, Manning, Buston. North Plains is (of course) on the plain, while the others are more in the foothills of the coast range, if that matters to you.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
Portland is not exactly like Denver, in that Portland gets suburban pretty quickly, especially on the West side, where the hills have created a sort of natural city/suburb boundary. (I lived in CO for over 4 years)
I think you are wanting the best of both worlds, out of the city, but not suburb. I don't know that you're going to find it.

Why are you looking for proximity to the coast? One more thought, the coast is still going to be over an hour (most times 90 min.) drive, even if you live West of Portland. It will really only take you an extra 5-10 minutes of driving if you live closer in to Portland. In other words, nowhere around Portland is really THAT much closer to the coast (unless maybe you lived way outer East).

Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Portland is not exactly like Denver, in that Portland gets suburban pretty quickly, especially on the West side, where the hills have created a sort of natural city/suburb boundary. (I lived in CO for over 4 years)
I think you are wanting the best of both worlds, out of the city, but not suburb. I don't know that you're going to find it.

Why are you looking for proximity to the coast? One more thought, the coast is still going to be over an hour (most times 90 min.) drive, even if you live West of Portland. It will really only take you an extra 5-10 minutes of driving if you live closer in to Portland. In other words, nowhere around Portland is really THAT much closer to the coast (unless maybe you lived way outer East).
I agree completely. Tell us what you imagine or what you want from living closer to the coast and we can give you better information. It's easy to romanticize living close to the ocean but if you are a working person with normal commitments, you'll probably find you won't get out to it as much as you think you will. It's nothing like Southern California beaches.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:21 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,333 times
We live in Portland before and now we live at the coast near Tillamook. It takes about 1 hour from Hillsboro to Tillamook and Tillamook is at the bay. From Tillamook you need an other 10-15 min. to the nearest beach.
Hillsboro is still connected by MAX Rail with Portland, after that you need a car. Forest Grove is around 7 miles from Hillsboro by freeway.
So I guess you should have a look at Hillsboro, it is the closest to the coast and if you live not to far from the MAX Rail you are in no time downtown Portland.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:09 AM

682 posts, read 2,423,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohiak View Post

If you're young, single, you want to avoid suburbia and your job is in Portland (presumably), then why do you want to know about the suburbs?

It's about 20-30 minutes from Portland to Hillsboro via US 26 with no traffic. Figure another 1-1/2 hour to get to the coast. If you're committed to the coast, you would only save yourself about a half hour once a week, versus an hour + everyday you commute into Portland for work.

I have nothing against the suburbs and lived there to save money while I went to school. Commuting is doable, but I don't think it's ideal in your situation. You have to drive or take the MAX, and either way you should plan to invest about an hour each way during peak congestion. It does get old after a while. Plenty of people do it, but it doesn't sound like there's a compelling reason in this case for you to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland