Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 AM

59 posts, read 212,477 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are interested in Portland. I love all the trees and green, and the fact that everyone recycles hooray!

We could use some help figuring out where the not so hot areas are?
And which areas might suit a geeky and artist middle aged couple w/ a toddler? Currently in Ohio trying desperately to escape (in a terrible economy-- it's taking some time) trying to do as much research as possible before decision making time comes about exactly where to live.

Thanks for all of your help and input, I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
I would check the city of Portland website, I know a number of neighborhoods have specific "no toddler" clauses.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 AM

121 posts, read 219,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
I would check the city of Portland website, I know a number of neighborhoods have specific "no toddler" clauses.
LOL! Too funny. Guess I had better make sure the neighborhoods we are scouting don't have a clause!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:33 AM

121 posts, read 219,776 times
But seriously...here are a few links (hope they are allowed, and if they are not, feel free to PM me) that I found to be very helpful. I have been using the neighborhood map opened next to a google map of the area to scope out what the neighborhood looks like at street level. Gosh, that google street level application just blows me away when I think of the time it must have taken to implement! Hope this helps.

Neighborhood Maps and Boundaries

Portland Oregon Apartment and Home Rental Information (http://www.movingtoportland.net/rentals.htm - broken link)

My Neighborhood

Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
This is a sticky in the Oregon forum that contains quite a bit of what you are looking for.
Coming to Oregon? Check these links for FAQ s before posting

Also this one for looking at crime statistics:
CrimeMapper

Not to be snarky, but these questions are asked over and over and over again.
So try this:

THE FORUM SEARCH FUNCTION

Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Google: Moving to Portland
A couple of hits hosted by Real Estate types. Excellent information on City of Portland's neighborhoods; each with its own unique 'vibe'; at least we brag they are unique. Tone is a bit Rah-Rah cheerleader-ish, but hey, what do you expect.

But to answer you question:
Artist who are a 'name' plus are rolling in money go to the Pearl
merely successful artist (or are bankrolled) tend to congregate up on the Northwest neighborhood (AKA: NW 23rd st., Nob Hill - a term borrowed from San Francisco, SNob Hill, and others - but this is a family friendly forum.)
at the very young and starving artist level is NE Alberta St
(neighborhoods of Humbolt, King, Vernon, maybe Sabin or Alemeda but that is questionable.)

Somewhere in that listing is the Portland city neighborhood of Multnomah Village which is still 1990's 'crunchy,' earthy, and still wearing sleeveless coats type of young doctors and lawyers with toddlers. From what very little I know about this subject--- a great, but very competitive, grade school (Maplewood?, Hayhurst? don't remember) But this is more suburban living than the more urban living closer to Portland's core.

Oh, and of course the 'burbs are 'burbs like any place else. Great schools, cookie cutter homes, Car-Is-King.

And for newbies to Portland, I suggest you disregard any place in the SE of Portland with triple digits street names, like SE 122nd. More for more experienced Portlanders. Use I-205 as a boundary, keep to the West of that (not that it ain't safe, it's more an economic depressed area right now; a cultural void for an artist.)

Geeks tend to cluster around the suburb of Beaverton and 'burb areas southwest of Portland.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
+ what Phil said.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:00 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post

Geeks tend to cluster around the suburb of Beaverton and 'burb areas southwest of Portland.
Only because most of the tech companies are in Tigard/Beaverton/Hillsboro.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Only because most of the tech companies are in Tigard/Beaverton/Hillsboro.
Word.**

**Urban dictionary....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland