Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:58 PM

86 posts, read 222,251 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved to Portland and based on my small number of observations people here seem to trust each other a lot more than most other places. I don't mean necessarily just amongst neighbors or friends, but amongst total strangers.

What is it about Portland that makes people so trusting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 04:04 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
It's a mindset. In normal everyday transactions and interactions, usually nobody gets screwed, scammed, bamboozled or robbed. We don't go around worrying that we are being "disrespected". That's kind of an upper East coast type of thinking. We trust because we're trustworthy. I don't think this is particular to Portland. Maybe it's a West coast trait.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:33 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1 View Post
I just recently moved to Portland and based on my small number of observations people here seem to trust each other a lot more than most other places. I don't mean necessarily just amongst neighbors or friends, but amongst total strangers.

What is it about Portland that makes people so trusting?
Can you cite an example or two? I ask because, in general, I think there's an outward appearance of trust but when you dig deeper people are pretty self-protective here.

I do agree with sayulita that people here are more humble and less standoffish.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM

254 posts, read 653,382 times
I think it's a west coast thing too. When I've went down to California people seem to be that way too. I hear from people who have moved from Seattle that people are standoffish there. I'm not sure as I haven't really spent much time up in Seattle. People in Portland make "Minnesota nice" seem like a joke though, and MN is where I grew up...

Last edited by Ryant; 02-10-2011 at 04:59 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Can you cite an example or two? I ask because, in general, I think there's an outward appearance of trust but when you dig deeper people are pretty self-protective here.

I do agree with sayulita that people here are more humble and less standoffish.
There's a big difference between trust and privacy. I will be open to someone and assume only the best in them. It's only if they start to be inappropriately inquisitive that my antenna go up. It hardly ever happens and it's usually because someone wants to sell me something. If they are just being friendly and accidentally step over a line, I can usually tell.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:52 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
It's the Portland version of admired "Minnesota Nice". Not the infamous "Seattle Freeze".

Being the true Portlanders that we are, we have a much more refined civil, and sophisticated version of this:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pac...213/cover.html

Things are better here.
In Portland, I mean. This is NOT Seattle.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-10-2011 at 06:02 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM

254 posts, read 653,382 times
Haha good read : )

It sound like the person in the story should have actually asked the other person if they wanted to do something. Better then some cities where you can't even strike up a conversation. People in Portland hang out a-lot, I'm not sure if it's like that in Seattle..

Old 02-10-2011, 07:51 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
I think that what people don't really do in Portland that they do elsewhere is "entertain." We don't have that dinner party mentality that necessarily gets people together for no reason but than to get together. I think I can count on one (maybe two) hand the number of times I've been to friends (not family's) homes for no reason other than just to have dinner.

I think to people who come from places more attuned to that are the ones who think that the friendliness only goes so far. But it's not because Portlanders are unfriendly, it's just doesn't seem to be the custom.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:45 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
I have to say that I really don't get all these "Portland people are ________ (friendly, trusting, reserved, nice, whatever)" threads. I think people here are pretty much the same as most other places in the US give or take. There are different kinds of people here as well as other places. You'll meet jerks, you'll meet extroverts, you'll meet gullible people, you'll meet good friends.
I just don't buy into the generalizations of the city's population. It's a city. Made of different people.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 AM

240 posts, read 483,209 times
Being here for 9 months now, I've found people to be polite, kind and friendly, which is pretty much what I expected to find here. My daughter, having always lived in the south prior to coming to Portland, felt people here were a little standoffish, but she is shy and tends to wait for others to make the first move. I'm rather outgoing and don't always wait for others to speak or strike up a conversation, so it hasn't seemed that way to me. I also like the way people here are not always in each others' business, as was often the case in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: