Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:37 PM

95 posts, read 211,778 times

Advertisements

I just moved from Richardson 6 months ago, so I can give you the comparison as I see it:

Jobs: Do not believe what they are telling you about jobs here. I did move here with a job, but my husband did not have a job lined up. He had interviews every single day from the day we hit town and got offers for most of them. He has a degree, but no particularly fabulous skills (he is not a doctor, lawyer, or in IT, etc is what I mean)

Ambition: My personal opinion is that this is why my husband got a job so quickly, and why I am doing so much better at my company here than in Dallas. There is just simply not the same amount of FIGHT here as DFW. Not nearly as much ambition, as a gross generalization yes, but that is the feel you get. Not just business-wise, but even fight for other stuff- like pushing really hard in a workout, trying to improve home/car/self regularly. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but this is just a very noticeable difference.

Diversity: NONE, ZIP. ZILCH. The only place I can think of with less diversity is Utah. Hope you love white people (smile)

Amenities: Roads are not great. They are small narrow, and SS-LL-OO-WW. OMG! You will not believe how slowly people drive here. It's hard to take. There is no money at all for the schools. The schools are going to send me right back to Richardson very soon. There is no sales tax, so a lot of things are lacking. Additionally, the lack of ambition which I just described will likely inhibit this from changing. And yet, they are about to build some kind of music feed for the cyclists in the bike lanes. Cyclists rule this city.

People: People here are very nice and polite. No one honks their horn. Everyone will smile and tell you to have a nice day, open the door, help you carry stuff, etc. But no one really embraces you as a friend. You feel like you are being held at arms length. My kids are very social and make friends right away. They have not had one invitation for a party, sleepover, nothing. My husband and I have no friends either.

***I gave you the bad stuff first on purpose. Now here is the good stuff****

Scenery: OMFG! I have never seen anywhere so beautiful in my life. It is like California and Colorado had a baby and it was Oregon.

Weather: wonderful. The rain is not bad. I think it is just locals trying to keep people out who say that. It rains probably 300 out of 365, but you also get sun on most of those days. And the rain is not 'rain" by texas standards either. We Texans would call it "mist".

Atmosphere: The air is so clean. You will never hear the words "ozone alert". Nor will you here "wind chill factor". There is no wind here unless you are visitting the Columbia River Gorge. Everyone recycles here. It goes without saying, as I think it should. Second to the beauty, that is my favorite thing. I was so sick my whole life in North Texas with allergies. Not one sneeze or sniffle since I have been here. And...are you ready for this...NO BUGS!!!!

Cost of living: For me the cost of living stayed the same. Housing is more expensive, but my electric bill is like $70. Fruits and vegetables are cheaper, and so is wine, but all meat, even fish, is more expensive. To me, it balances out budget-wise

I am in Beaverton which feels very similar to Richardson or Plano- well, as similar as you can be for someplace so different. I would likely stay here forever if not for the horrible schools, and lack of diversity.

Travel safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
The Walmart in Cornelius is brand new and in a good area just outside of Hillsboro

That is true, but even comparing that WalMart to what we Texans were used to is a big thumbs down.
Pretty much say good-bye to WalMart as you know it once you leave Texas.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 PM

Oh yeah...I forgot one more thing that you will notice right away as different. There is like no crime, no cops compared to DFW (not to mention houston, San Antonio, and all Texas cities I can think of). Watch the news....no murders, rapes, violent crimes of any sort. Since I have been here I heard of a shooting at a night club, and a cop killed over near the coast. That's been about it. Incredible. It's kind of a Utopia here in that aspect.
Portlanders- in DFW you can't "swing a dead cat" (horrible Texas/southern saying) without hitting a cop car.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
[quote=btheferrett;17931193]

Quote:
Originally Posted by btheferrett View Post
Diversity: NONE, ZIP. ZILCH. The only place I can think of with less diversity is Utah. Hope you love white people (smile)
Simply not true, unless you're in the more affluential Burbs. My neighbors are an old Russian Lady, a Lesbian Couple with two kids, a family of Mexicans (with the biggest house on the block,) and a family of Sri Lanka refugees.

Quote:
Amenities: Roads are not great. They are small narrow, and SS-LL-OO-WW. OMG! You will not believe how slowly people drive here. It's hard to take.
Having just been in DFW a couple of weeks ago, I'd disagree with this too. Only Miami has worse drivers in my experience. Add in the fact that no one in Dallas seemed to know how to drive on ice/snow, and it was pretty bad experience, even after the snow melted.

Quote:
And yet, they are about to build some kind of music feed for the cyclists in the bike lanes. Cyclists rule this city.
Yep! On the other hand, the less cars on the road, the faster you can drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland