U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM

254 posts, read 358,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Did you mean the USA and Australia, or Oregon and Australia? Because 300' tall trees are found in Oregon and California. These 4 species: Coast Redwood. Douglas Fir, Giant Sequoia, Sitka Spruce

I've read that there may be a Philippine Rosewood in the Philippines just over or just under 300 feet tall. I'm not sure if dense forests and 300 foot tall trees really make Portland what it is.

It's doubtful that Portland and the surrounding area can really be compared to New England.

PS - the trees below are north CA, not near Portland. Just an image for the topic of 300 footers.
Hey Mdvaden, actually it's this area (these three states and BC) and a little section of Australia that I was reading are the only places in the world that trees grow over 300' tall. Says something about how things grow around here!

Coastal redwoods have the highest aboveground biomass per acre in the world and Nobel firs have the second (in the goat marsh area). There was a noble fir over 300' tall up there before the eruption and probably still is actually if you look around the area.

"The reported values
exceed those for a superlative old-growth
Pseudotsuga menziesii grove measured at the same
time. In fact, the stem biomass (1,687 t/ha or 753
tons/acre) and basal area (147.4 m2/ha or 642
ft2/acre) values exceed all others reported in the
world, except those for Sequoia sempervirens
forests."
http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/publication...sh_GH_1_19.pdf

Last edited by Ryant; 02-28-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 PM

474 posts, read 711,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
(hence you will hear "Too cold to snow").
Very familiar with that term having grown up in Portland, Nell.
I always thought there was a small window when the cold air blew down the Gorge and hit the wet weather in the west that it could snow. After that it got 'too cold to snow'. When in fact it was too dry to snow. When the wet weather finally blew the cold air back down the Gorge it could once again snow until it became too warm to snow.
I hated those cold Arctic blasts.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland