U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 PM

26 posts, read 48,719 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Besides the similar names (Portland Maine/Oregon) and dense forests how similar is the Portland Oregon area to new england?

Thanks,
Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 03:17 PM

9,809 posts, read 15,904,018 times
We are different, our winters are not nearly as cold.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 PM

3,932 posts, read 3,638,332 times
I think there are some similarities in that people are a little reserved, like New Englanders, and the feel of our downtown reminds me of towns in New England. The overcast days are similar and the Summer is similar except we don't have bugs( read: black flies) or mosiquito issues. The Summer days are longer and there is barely any humidity, unlike New England. Our Winters are twenty to thirty degrees warmer on average but you are pretty close to Mt. Hood for snow activities. Housing is similar in costs but heating costs are much lower here during Fall and Winter. Hope this helps.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:14 PM

588 posts, read 2,492,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
The Summer days are longer ...

Summer day length is purely dependent on latitude. Portland and New England will be nearly the same, depending on where you are in New England.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,607,413 times
The summer days feel longer in Oregon because the sun goes down about a half hour later, but it comes up earlier in New England, more daylight at the end of the day makes it feel longer.

Oregon to me is more progressive than New England and not as focused on nationality, but that's just my take.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 PM

131 posts, read 266,585 times
Portland, Maine feels older -- because it is, the town and the land/topography around it. (Gorgeous Arcadia Nat'l Park is fairly close.) Portland, OR, like the rest of the west, has bigger, newer, steeper mountains nearby. Volcanoes! The George! The town's buildings, even the oldest, are a few centuries newer than those in NE. Douglas Fir trees seem bigger to me, too. Both have great seafood, but P'land, Maine feels more "fisherman-y" since P'land, OR is farther inland.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 PM

131 posts, read 266,585 times
Oops, that would be "The Gorge." I suspect there are "George"s here, too, but that's not quite what I meant.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 PM

254 posts, read 566,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueisme View Post
Douglas Fir trees seem bigger to me, too.
It's no wonder, there are only two places in the world trees grow over 300' tall.. here and Australia.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:35 PM

3,932 posts, read 3,638,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post

Summer day length is purely dependent on latitude. Portland and New England will be nearly the same, depending on where you are in New England.
Most of the New England states are more south than Maine and the OP asked about Portland, ME which is southern Maine. The Summer days there are shorter than Portland, OR.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,141,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
:
Not completely true, Your position in the time zone can make a pretty significant difference in length or day light, or more accurately, when it actually gets dark.
The Eastern Time zone is really big. Good difference between Long Island and Indiana

Google Image Result for http://www.hightunnels.org/images/latitude%20and%20Longitude%20Map.gif

Portland, OR also falls north of almost all of new england (save the top half of Maine).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or