Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 AM

10,987 posts, read 20,452,750 times

Advertisements

Boarding in San Fran?? I didn't realize that was an option unless it is a stop as they are re-positioning the ship. It all depends on how much time you have to see the geography you want to see. I love the No Cal/OR/WA coast but I wouldn't spend cruse time there if I wanted to see Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 PM

121 posts, read 218,871 times
All I can offer is that my aunt and cousin have taken 3 Alaska cruises all on NCL and they loved each one. My cousin is a travel agent and I know that from her professoional standpoint, NCL is an excellent cruise operator. I cannot comment on the dress code or dining options, but I do know that my aunt would not enjoy a younger, drunken revelry type of crowd, so I doubt she would take multiple cruises with NCL if that were the situation. I have taken Princess down Mexico way and I have to say that I LOVE cruising (though they are much more of a party ship than I would prefer). Have a great time on your cruise! I would love to take an Alaska cruise some day.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:17 AM

39 posts, read 58,030 times
@NellPlotts: Very good point about going from San Fran. I would be stuck at sea, going north for a day or more, without land views. There are no ports for the cruise ships until Seattle too. Well, I think I will just port out of Seattle.

My friend did port out of San Fran for a 10 day to Alaska on Princess...so I know they port out of there.

@CantStandTheHeat: I am leaning tword's NCL. I would like to cruise the Mexican Rivera one day. I am worried about the unrest and drug wars down there though. It's tough saving for these cruises, I am not rich! lol.

Thank you both for the additional advice.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 AM

121 posts, read 218,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjl72 View Post
@NellPlotts: Very good point about going from San Fran. I would be stuck at sea, going north for a day or more, without land views. There are no ports for the cruise ships until Seattle too. Well, I think I will just port out of Seattle.

My friend did port out of San Fran for a 10 day to Alaska on Princess...so I know they port out of there.

@CantStandTheHeat: I am leaning tword's NCL. I would like to cruise the Mexican Rivera one day. I am worried about the unrest and drug wars down there though. It's tough saving for these cruises, I am not rich! lol.

Thank you both for the additional advice.
Hey, no prob! I know how expensive those cruises are, but if you can swing it, do get a room on the outside, not an interior one. If you are at all claustrophobic, you will be miserable. I have never stayed in an inside cabin, but just looking in to them, I was sooo glad to have a window to look out from (and this is coming from a gal whose idea of fun is wriggling around in pitch-black caves!). Also, the lower in the ship you go, the less you will notice the motion of the ship. I also recommend popping some Dramamine (or your sea-sick remedy of choice) BEFORE you set sail. It does not hurt to be on the safe side, even if you've never been sea-sick a day in your life. I cockily turned down the meds, boasting that sailing never made me sick. Boy, did I regret that! The first night of my first cruise was hell for me and spent in wretchedness on the bathroom floor while DH snored contentedly in bed.

A couple more tid-bits of advice-
Don't take anything with you that you would be heart-broken to lose.
Don't be lulled into the 'small-town' congeniality that typically develops when cruising and leave your room unlocked.
Don't invite strangers to your cabin or even tell them your room number.

I know this advice sounds paranoid, and I don't want it to put you off! These are just practical words of advice. I have never had anything happen to me on a cruise, but I have been aware of things that did happen to fellow passengers that probably might have been avoided if they had followed the above advice.

DO enjoy yourself! Relax, slow down, and give yourself permission to simply 'be'.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,085,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStandTheHeat View Post
Hey, no prob! I know how expensive those cruises are, but if you can swing it, do get a room on the outside, not an interior one. If you are at all claustrophobic, you will be miserable. I have never stayed in an inside cabin, but just looking in to them, I was sooo glad to have a window to look out from (and this is coming from a gal whose idea of fun is wriggling around in pitch-black caves!). Also, the lower in the ship you go, the less you will notice the motion of the ship. I also recommend popping some Dramamine (or your sea-sick remedy of choice) BEFORE you set sail. It does not hurt to be on the safe side, even if you've never been sea-sick a day in your life. I cockily turned down the meds, boasting that sailing never made me sick. Boy, did I regret that! The first night of my first cruise was hell for me and spent in wretchedness on the bathroom floor while DH snored contentedly in bed.
Really? I am claustrophobic, and had no problem with the inside cabins. And I've been in them with up to 4 people!

Now the showers ... definitely uncomfortable for me, claustrophbia-wise.

I think that being in the center of the ship (not the extreme front or back) is most important for not feeling the motion of the water.

Whichever cruise line you decide on, I do suggest you try and stick with it in the future. They all have rewards-type programs that can save money or get you perks on future cruises.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 AM

39 posts, read 58,030 times
Thanks again for the advice!

I have to say, honestly, the PDX board seems to have good, decent people.

Forgive me mods/users, the post should have been put in the travel section. Seattle mod quickly let me kow and moved it...but it did pertain to Seattle because, I was asking about going out of the Seattle port...oh well.

One more reason I love and miss PDX/Gresham....no Seattle feeze here, lol! J/K Seattle people.

Last edited by atjl72; 02-24-2011 at 06:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland