Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 05:41 PM

37 posts, read 186,651 times

Advertisements

Hey There,

I presently live in Seattle, but was hoping to relocate to find new life adventures.

I've been checking out a bunch of areas and cities, but realize that my neighor just south may be an amazing candidate since I really do enjoy the Northwest.

Any opinions on Portland?

What's the job market like? The housing and cost of living like? I think the city is absolutely bee-yoo-tiful, and the people wonderful, but have only been a tourista. What's it like being a residente?

I would looove any ideas, opinions, rants, feedback of any kind.

Doomo arigato!

Jon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 AM

700 posts, read 2,595,555 times
"hajime mashta watashi wa go chebin go des..."
Okay couldnt resist using some poor Nihongo..since I live here.

Portland = small Seattle...really it can almost be said.
Both cities are what we love about the PNW...too much to list on one thread.
There are so many simulaitites....of course thats generalized. Seattle is much bigger and with its own set of issues...Portland will have some too.

Jobs, well in some industries great...some not so good. Depends what you do or are willing to do.
Housing, maybe a little cheaper then Seattle for how close you can live to downtown...but really on par with what you will earn in comparision. Again very individual to you and your own spending habits and debt to income ratio.

Being a resident can be just like being a tourist everyday...and getting mail!!!
It just depends on how adventurous you are....If you live on the edge in Sea-town...you can dance with the devil just as easily in P-town. If you like quiet nights, organic soy lattes and a good debate about organic soy lattes....they got smart coffee drinking people in P-town too. If you like going to a pro football game....whoops almost had ya!!! Give and Take...Push and Pull...Ying and Yang....Fudd and Bunny. Its all fun till someone pokes an eye out.

Seriously though, Portland is cool...good people, good vibe and much like Seattle.

5C5

Old 07-24-2007, 08:00 AM

37 posts, read 186,651 times
Default Thank goodness I don't like the Seahawks!

Oooh, at least I'm not an NFL fan. I guess that I won't miss much. But I am a baseball fan, although the Mariners always break ones heart in the end.

The one thing Washington has over Oregon is there is no state income tax. But that evens out a bit with the lack of a sales tax, although I am not much of a consumer.

I do like the mass transit system in Portland, though, and the fact that it's such a green city.

Any other opinions out there?

Many mahalos!

Jon.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:34 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondotkom View Post
Oooh, at least I'm not an NFL fan. I guess that I won't miss much. But I am a baseball fan, although the Mariners always break ones heart in the end.

The one thing Washington has over Oregon is there is no state income tax. But that evens out a bit with the lack of a sales tax, although I am not much of a consumer.

I do like the mass transit system in Portland, though, and the fact that it's such a green city.

Any other opinions out there?

Many mahalos!

Jon.
if your used to broken hearts in sports teams, then the Portland Trailblazers is your team. The early 90s was manic depressing. The 2000s are just plain depressing. Unless your a Beaver baseball fan, get used to much dispare. Plenty of times have I sat with high hopes, only to be crushed. Sea Hawks...superbowl losers, trail Blazerds, NBA Finals Losers, Oregon Ducks, Finished #2 in the Nation a few years back, also lost the Rosebowl twice. Portland TB won it in 1977, but crap, I was 10 at the time, and did not live in Oregon.

As far as the rest of Portland, subtract the Blazers. Its the best city in the nation. I don't need to back it up with facts. The fact that I said it, makes it true

Old 07-24-2007, 09:04 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
I really like Seattle and at one point was considering moving there instead of Portland. However, I'm glad I moved to Portland and when I visit Seattle (every few months) I'm always reminded of why I like Portland better. That's usually due to getting around--Seattle has a lot more sprawl and the city wasn't planned as well. It's not as easy to get around by bike (lack of lanes) or public transport and without a light rail or subway the congestion is horrible. Of course, I still really like Seattle and I could live there, Portland is just a little calmer and easier in various ways. I think Seattle has more sophistication at this point and more jobs too so that definitely changes things depending on what your field is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: