U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,232,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
"I've already started my career in marketing but eff it, I'm willing to take on anything in terms of a career change if need be..."

Really? Are you OK with $8.50 an hour?
You will need to be for a while.
Ha, guess I shouldn't have sounded so laxed in that statement. What I meant really by it is my career path may change course by then, and I'm open to seeing what might be available. But as from reading the responses and other posts it seems the job market there is just as dire as it is here in NYC and NJ. I'm not saying I'll just pop in with no job and hope for the best, that's just not how life works ha. I guess moreso what I meant was rather than looking for an agency there to join with, shop my position to companies perhaps? Work in the marketing dept of a brewery wouldn't be the worst thing on earth (ahh, dreams).

Who knows, at this point it's all still speculation and would be years away at the earliest. Just wanted to get a few words from folks who live there since the idea's been tossed around more than a few times. We're gonna try to make a trip out this summer, it's been too long for myself and she really needs to see the city and how great it is.

Thanks again everyone for the good words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 04:13 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,156,947 times
Oregonians cannot drive, but that doesn't mean if you move there you also need to make it worse by being a terrible crappy driver. Everywhere I have seen in my life, there are no more obnoxious drivers than my home state of Oregon. In California, they are professionals, everyone knows how to drive at high speeds effectively and how to get into small spaces. My dad (life-time Oregonian) always said it seems like Oregon drivers are on valium, and it really does. Nobody honks, which really ticks me off, it's exactly the opposite of New Yorkers, who are usually too rude and think the horn does magical wonders when in fact it does not. I have seen New Yorkers so impatient / stupid they sit there honking at a car AT A RED LIGHT when there's nothing that car can do whatsoever. They are also terrible drivers just for different reasons.

If you move to Oregon, please try to make the driving situation better and not worse. 55 means fast lane goes 65 to 70, not 50. Oregon drivers seem to think they will disappear into thin air for going 1 mile over the speed limit. It's just about the most annoying thing in the world. I could sit there in the fast lane going 35 with no traffic in front of me and a guy will get behind me and not honk. That is simply inexcusable. In CA you will get honked at for going only 10 over in the fast lane, and for good reason, get out of the fast lane if you don't intend to use it! lol.

Also, I'm obviously missing something, but pizza is pizza. I don't get the big fuss over pizza. I have been to New York MANY times, eaten pizza there, I've even been to Italy, and overall I have to say Italy has the worst pizza in the world. If they supposedly invented it, they suck at it. They don't even know how to make a basic pizza that tastes 1/4 as good as Dominos, which is by the way very good pizza since the redone recipe. It's not the cardboard that it used to be. Pizza is bread, tomato sauce, and cheese. If you can't make that properly you suck at cooking and should probably quit. I've had good pizza anywhere in the U.S., I mean it's pizza, it's not some high class food item that is amazingly difficult to make. You can find great pizza in Portland just like any other place. PS: I hate Hot Lips. My mom used to love that, I would not eat it at all. I'd rather eat cardboard by far. Pizza Schmizza is the best Portland pizza by far.

You are coming from New York, so this shouldn't bother you, but if you're young, it should bother you -- Oregon is another terrible state for taxes, with the highest income tax in the U.S. Because there is no sales tax, that means it's a fantastic place to spend money, but a terrible place to earn money. Live across the river in Washington instead, and shop in Oregon, boom, 0% sales tax, 0% income taxes. Portland is a nice enough city despite the 363 days of rain / clouds per year, but it's not nice enough to justify awful taxes and a relatively high cost of living (like why does a condo in the Pearl cost $400,000 at least when that's the same price for a condo in sunny L.A.? Makes no sense, should be half the price in Portland).

Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,232,740 times
Well, the driving thing isn't much of an issue as I plan to primarily use public transportation, biking and walking whenever possible. Other than that though, I grew up in NJ so I know how to drive and not like an a-hole. Stupid drivers are amongst the most annoying thing on earth, I share that sentiment greatly.

As for pizza. Sorry good sir, but saying Domino's is just as good as an authentic high quality slice of pizza is just blasphemy. This is not to say I don't appreciate Domino's for what it is. But that ain't pizza. And as much as it's known for it, 95% of NYC's pizza is absolutely terrible. We just have A LOT of pizza places. There's also A LOT of bars, 95% (eh, maybe more...) of them happen to be terrible too. The pizza thing isn't a deal breaker or not, I was just wondering on that end.

I suppose I hadn't really considered taxes much as we rent and don't plan on buying until, well we can afford it for one... High income taxes are not something I'm unfamiliar with unfortunately though. Seeing my salary vs. what I actually take home brings a tear to my eye but it is what it is. You wanna live somewhere specific for whatever the reason, it's gonna cost ya what it costs ya. We're lucky enough to have an affordable enough apartment (by NYC's standards, ugh...) that it takes the burden off of other things.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:21 PM

9,767 posts, read 6,817,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

Also, I'm obviously missing something, but pizza is pizza. I don't get the big fuss over pizza. I have been to New York MANY times, eaten pizza there, I've even been to Italy, and overall I have to say Italy has the worst pizza in the world. If they supposedly invented it, they suck at it. They don't even know how to make a basic pizza that tastes 1/4 as good as Dominos, which is by the way very good pizza since the redone recipe. It's not the cardboard that it used to be. Pizza is bread, tomato sauce, and cheese. If you can't make that properly you suck at cooking and should probably quit. I've had good pizza anywhere in the U.S., I mean it's pizza, it's not some high class food item that is amazingly difficult to make. You can find great pizza in Portland just like any other place. PS: I hate Hot Lips. My mom used to love that, I would not eat it at all. I'd rather eat cardboard by far. Pizza Schmizza is the best Portland pizza by far.
Yeah the pizza in Italy really sucks, it's not even as good as Domino's...

Sure, pal...

Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 AM

506 posts, read 709,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Portland's "ethnic" cuisine tends to come from the Asian nations, while NY's tends to come from Europe. And given the disparity in populations, while NY may be able to support 20-30 of a certain type of cuisine, Portland my only support 2 or 3. And the chance of one of them being of great quality isn't really as great. They're fewer chances to get it right.
NY's ethnic cuisine comes from everywhere, not just Europe. Don't believe all the movies you see, NY doesn't really have very many European ethnic neighborhoods anymore. They exist, but they are much smaller and less numerous. For instance, in the latest census, the Little Italy neighborhood of Manhattan has, for the first time since Italians first started congregating there, no Italian born people living there. There are a few Italian- Americans living there still but it's really just a small part of Chinatown now. Little Italy really only exists for tourists.

However, the percentage of people from just about every other part of the world is high and rising.

The second part of your above quote just proves my point, that Portland is somewhat lacking in global cuisines. I'm not making a big deal about it, it's just an unavoidable result of Portland being 80% white, most of whom are native born Americans. Even if the reason were just the size of the city it still proves my point.

So yeah, I'm not expecting to have a great Puerto Rican or Cuban or West Indian place down the street from me in Portland. I have a better chance of having a Mexican or Vietnamese place than Caribbean cuisines, because of there are more immigrants from there in Portland.

I do have to say though, that as a big fan of Peruvian food, I like the fact that Portland has Andina. I had a Peruvian girlfriend for several years and she was an excellent cook, and she kind of spoiled me to the food, as most Peruvian restaurants I've been to didn't measure up. Andina comes pretty close though, and they make much better cocktails.

Although I haven't much Mexican food in Portland, in general the West Coast has much better Mexican food than the East, mostly because there are more Mexicans. NYC has a lot of Latinos, but until recently there were few Mexicans. Most Latinos are from the Caribbean or South America here.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah the pizza in Italy really sucks, it's not even as good as Domino's...

Sure, pal...

He's right about the drivers though...

Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,296,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
NY's ethnic cuisine comes from everywhere, not just Europe. Don't believe all the movies you see, NY doesn't really have very many European ethnic neighborhoods anymore. They exist, but they are much smaller and less numerous. For instance, in the latest census, the Little Italy neighborhood of Manhattan has, for the first time since Italians first started congregating there, no Italian born people living there. There are a few Italian- Americans living there still but it's really just a small part of Chinatown now. Little Italy really only exists for tourists.
Okay, let's put it this way. The food that New Yorkers seem to complain the most about not finding in Portland are pizza (of the style they're accustomed) and Jewish food. It is that upon which I'm basing my statements. Not from some misapprehension about NY learned in the movies - I realize they're not reality.

But I find the whole complaint issue pretty stupid. I can't imagine moving to NY and moaning about not being able to find fresh Dungeness crab or (Pacific) razor clams readily available. Portland is not lacking global cuisine, especially when you factor in the carts. It may not have the quantities in number of restaurants serving the different cuisines, but they're not non-existent. Lacking means doesn't have.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 PM

I don't like "Jewish" food very much and I'm not complaining about about anything, I'm just stating facts. Stop being so defensive.

As I said, I like the Portland food scene in general. However , I was advising a fellow NY transplant about the facts about the food. I'm sorry you disagree. Portland is most definitely a hugely global and ethnically diverse city in both cuisine and DNA. World ****ing class. Better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland