U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-08-2011, 03:59 PM

2,582 posts, read 2,233,710 times
By PNW Style Yuppies I mean the..........well, the best examples I can think of are the "dog saving" couple and the "outside movie in the park" couple in recent episodes of Portlandia.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 PM

6,477 posts, read 5,984,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
By PNW Style Yuppies I mean the..........well, the best examples I can think of are the "dog saving" couple and the "outside movie in the park" couple in recent episodes of Portlandia.

Ahh, I don't watch TV, so I'd have no clue about them.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,401,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I don't think Sellwood meets the above criteria except for being close to public transportation (the bus), and being somewhat low crime.

It has more than its fair share of PNW style yuppies, and I definately would not call Sellwood artsy, hippie, or unconventional, and it's on the edge of being walkable. I mean you can walk around the Sellwood neighborhood plenty but there really is not a whole lot of places to walk to. By that I mean lots of grocery stores etc. If you like antique shop after antique shop, boutique stores and boutique cafes and stuff like that you may be all right, but nobody I know would say that Sellwood has a "vibrant" neighborhood center.

Also many people lump together Sellwood and Westmoreland. They are seperate distinct neighborhoods.

For a more intimate look at the Sellwood, East-Westmoreland, and Woodstock areas click below:
There are also links to many other Portland neighborhood newspapers.

The Bee Ι News
Sellwood has a higher than average "walkabilty" rating for the city. Which, in their rating, puts it at "Very Walkable Most errands can be accomplished on foot."

I guess a lot depends on what you want to walk to. For a relatively small area (Sellwood/Westmoreland) There is a grocery store in each town "center" in addition to the requisite quickie-mart type places.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 PM

120 posts, read 161,705 times
Hey, I agree that Sellwood/Westmoreland doesn't (don't?) have the artsy vibe that N. Mississippi/Alberta Arts, etc. have, but the folks who live there (those I've met, anyway) definitely skew creative.

I lump Sellwood and Westmoreland together because that's what the business district does. Honestly, I'm not so sure where the boundary is, anyway. I personally put Eastmoreland in a separate category (as I'm sure the folks who live there do), as it seems to be a far higher income, slightly more conservative area (the folks I've met who live there don't skew creative; the ones I've met are more "business-y" or academic -- very nice folks, though. (I definitely don't mean to imply that those types of people usually aren't nice!)

The glories and wonders of Sellwood/Westmoreland aside, however, it seems that a better fit for the OP would be Alberta Arts/N. Mississippi/Hawthorne/Sunnyside -- more young folks who look "artsy" (i.e. stylishly mussed up hair, tattoos, wear interesting vintage clothing, etc.)

Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM

34 posts, read 64,285 times
Thanks so much for the recommendations!!!

I got into PSU. We are looking at rentals and they seem to be a little pricey so we are contemplating to buy a small house. Any advice on that? Any areas we should look at if we want to buy?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:22 PM

6,778 posts, read 7,440,182 times
It would be a lot easier for us if you would use one of those real estate home finders and tell us what neighborhoods homes that meet your criteria are located (cross streets will do if you don't know the neighborhood name). I find the John L Scott website the most complete, your experience may differ.

Home prices in Oregon are still dropping and if you intend to move after earning your degrees a house can be a real drag on your mobility. Although a rental may be expensive the transaction costs in buying and selling a house after 3-4 years will be even more so. Just a thought...

Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 3,560 times
SE Hawthorne between SE 28-45th or so, near SE 28th Ave (between Glissan & Stark), SE Belmont (approx same range as hawthorne or between hawthorne & belmont!), NE Alberta, Hollywood (less artsy, but close to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland