U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 AM

17 posts, read 34,820 times
Cool OR strict car window tint law - Is it enforced?

I will be moving to the Portland area soon. My car has illegal tint (it's pretty dark, i want to say 15% to 20%) for current Texas standards, but they honestly don't care here.

Reading up on Oregon law, it sounds a bit more strict. 35% transmittance minimum on all windows. Anyone know how strict they are on enforcing the $360 fine? Do they rarely enforce it, or have you heard of people getting busted? I see DARK tints all the time in TX that are clearly "illegal" but I think there are just other worries for the police force.

I'm trying to get an idea of how quickly to prioritize getting all my tint removed. I realize I won't need the extra shade as much in Portland! If I can count on getting a ticket immediately, this will be my first action!

Thanks guys.

link for reference:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/docs/V...chure.pdf?ga=t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 06:08 PM

6,477 posts, read 5,948,681 times
Depends on the cop honestly. It'll come up and be added to any other tickets they decide to create when pulled over. If you've got out of state plates you'll be less likely to get stopped.

But from experience, with Oregon's grey weather, you're going to want to remove most the tint anyways.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:55 PM

640 posts, read 920,936 times
The only person I ever knew who had tinted windows (tinted in Cal, then moved to Or.) got a ticket almost immediately.

It's dark here, you don't need tinted windows (usually don't even need the visor).

Old 03-24-2011, 11:38 PM

11 posts, read 15,281 times
I have 10% on my windows and haven't had a problem. I have Texas plates but I have been here for 6 months and no ticket. It's also been the dreary weather period since we moved here and I haven't had a problem seeing out of the tinting. If you are used to it then it's no big deal really. I didn't even know my tint was illegal, thanks for the heads up!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:49 PM

3,442 posts, read 2,596,458 times
you could probably get away with it for a long time, if not forever. I don't even have a front plate on my car I've never gotten pulled over for it. They be more likely to tack stuff like that on if they pop you for speeding or something.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,332 times
My husband was just pulled over (we live in Portland, OR and this happened in Hillsboro) and ticketed for this (we had no idea about the law). The cop puller out a "tint-o-meter" (really!) and told us our windows were at 12% - too dark, I guess. We have 25 days to fix it or pay up. I will say that we have owned the car for 3 years - and this the first time we have ever been ticketed.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:28 PM

113 posts, read 161,196 times
I have 20% tint factory rear and 50% front on my mercedes for 5 years now. Other than an occasional drive-by or plate-scan by cops, it's no problemo. More likely in search of stolen or uninsured cars. But if that 20% was on a minivan or an older honda, cops might want to say hello.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 PM

1,460 posts, read 876,849 times
limo tint dark, yes you will be a target...easy

Old 06-07-2011, 01:26 PM

95 posts, read 97,223 times
I have been here a little over a month, and our tint is pretty dark (we moved from az). I havent had any problems yet...the police here all seem to be really nice and easy-going...quite a nice change from Az.
I have a friend that moved here almost 2 years ago, and she has dark tint as well as az plates still...never been pulled over for it.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:41 PM

6,739 posts, read 7,389,242 times
Dark tinted windows and AZ or TX plates don't raise eyebrows.

Dark tinted windows here convey that the occupants may not want to be identified. It may also be true that they have a description of a vehicle with dark tinted windows associated with illegal activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland