U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:26 PM

11 posts, read 6,389 times
Default On my way to portland

Hello,

I'm 27, just finishing college, and moving to the Portland/Beverton area. I have a couple of thoughts in mind so please an help would be appreciated.
I am a certified Kettlebell Instructor (RKC2) with my own business (k2body.com) and i want to start back up in Portland. Is there a good heath & wellness minded community in that Area (Portland/Beverton)? I also would like to not have to drive in the large city environment is the public transportation accessible from that area, reliable, and can i access the rest or the city on public transportation? would i save money living in Beverton or would it be better to live in Portland and travel to and fro?

thank you for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,544,024 times
There are many factors, but just to be clear---
Property taxes are lower in Washington County, where Beaverton is, compared to Multnomah County where Portland is. Some county services are not provided at the same level in Washington County as in Multnomah County.

Be aware, that Beaverton is still in the TriMet area, and you, as an independent self-employed will have to file (and pay) the Mass Transit income tax on your net taxable income, per state law; even if you never use the TriMet system, or get a monthly pass and ride 15 to 20 times per month.
Link to State of Oregon: business self-employment Transit district taxes info.
Department of Revenue: Business Taxes Home Page Transit Self-employment Taxes (Home)

Yes, on the Mass Transit question:
TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area
Look for the interactive system map. A TriMet ticket is good for about 2 hours, on any type of Mass Transit.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 PM

6,478 posts, read 5,671,134 times
Your service is a luxury item - one of the first things cut in these hard times. On the other hand, it does have a demand in the right set of people. You'd probably be better off trying to partner with a Gym, or another established and related business.

On the other, other hand, I know three certified Kettle Bell instructors personally, and all of them have other 9-5 jobs outside of Health & Fitness.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:56 PM

hey hamellr,

i can some what agree to what your saying but to say that health and wellness isn't flourishing today would mean your not to into fitness yourself, especially after considering obesity and sedentary lifestyle habits becoming the number killer in the united states 2 years ago surpassing cancers and all the health care reforms coming down the pipe. working out has and never will be cut for those who understand the benefits of it. I do appreciate you taking the time out to attempt to answer my question but you didn't do that, have a great day.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM

hey Phil,

thanks man that was so informative and helpful. I do have another few questions: i do plan on riding the max line so if i buy a pass will that mean i wont have to pay that tax your mentioned?

I'm glad to here Beverton will cheaper to live in than Portland that narrows it down for me, so what is the age demographic for the residents of the Beverton area? And are there better places too stay in Beverton than others?

Old 03-12-2011, 03:25 PM

6,461 posts, read 7,009,251 times
In general the Beaverton-Hillsboro demographic is younger than Portland (x-close in NW). Younger people patronize health clubs.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:54 PM

13,324 posts, read 9,652,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaju-Slim View Post
hey hamellr,

i can some what agree to what your saying but to say that health and wellness isn't flourishing today would mean your not to into fitness yourself, especially after considering obesity and sedentary lifestyle habits becoming the number killer in the united states 2 years ago surpassing cancers and all the health care reforms coming down the pipe. working out has and never will be cut for those who understand the benefits of it. I do appreciate you taking the time out to attempt to answer my question but you didn't do that, have a great day.
But you should know that fitness establishments may not be flourishing in Portland due to the economic situation here. You appear to be assuming that Oregonians follow sedentary life style habits and are not into fitness. And you are bringing them salvation.

Portland is a very "fit" town. But exercise comes largely from bike riding, hiking and other forms of exercise that keep them healthy. They tend to choose inexpensive ways to keep fit rather than having to pay dues. There also is a good proportion of people here who are healthy eaters. Obesity is not very noticeable here.

There may be a call for your type of fitness training, but don't expect the population to come running to embrace it.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,544,024 times
Quote:
.... if i buy a pass will that mean i wont have to pay that tax your mentioned?....
No. You pay your estimated tax amount to the State along with your other estimated quarterly taxes, and then file an extra form with you annual State Income Tax, and the state passes the money on to TriMet eventually.

Per the following link, ridership fares and passes account for 22% of TriMet's income, while payroll and self-employed taxes are 49% of TriMet's funding:
TriMet: How TriMet is Funded

**rumor***rumor***rumor**
After receiving your money thru the state, TriMet may mail you (the business owner) a free monthly pass or two. There is no link I can provide you to verify this. As I heard the rumor, it is not, repeat NOT, a one to one ratio of money you paid in taxes to the value of the monthly passes you receive. This program may have been discontinued due to TriMet budget shortfalls. I got this story twice from accounting ladies who were (are?) 1099 sub-contractor employees.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 PM

6,478 posts, read 5,671,134 times
Quote:
hey hamellr,

Before making such assumptions you might stop to pause and wonder if somebody local MIGHT just be telling you what they see happening.

Us Oregonians are getting mighty tired of non-Natives coming here against advice and/or unprepared for the reality on the ground the coming back and badmouthing the entire State out of ill-concieved frustration.

I will admit that I should have worded myself better, as in "Paying for Fitness Training is a Luxury item, and as such is getting cut often."

For the record, I dropped my gym membership quite some time ago as I was doing more outside then in. I'm in the walk/bike to work crowd, just did a five mile hike in the rain, up 2000 feet a few weeks ago, and walked ten miles just two days ago. If I'm back in town soon, I'm going to go cross country skiing.

I also just happen to work for a major Sports Footwear and Apparel manufacturer in the Portland area and in my position have direct contact with many hundreds of specialized Personal Trainers across the US and in the UK, a few in Africa, and one in China, including a good half dozen in my own office.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for you to work here, you're just not going to be able to setup shop and be busier then you can imagine within a few months. Kettle Bell training specifically, hasn't take off in Portland except in places like MMA Gyms. It's not on the class schedule of any of the major gyms or gym chains. While I know three certified Kettle Bell Trainers, I only know of one person who actually does them on a regular basis.

If you have more certifications then just that, perhaps along with a nutritional background and Cerifications, you'll have some good luck at the smaller gyms getting some business your way. You'll also need to advertise on Craigslist, Willamette Week and pretty much anywhere else you can, including community boards. You might also look at teaching a class through one of the Community Colleges. Your best bet to get some business in Portland though is to put together some videos, post them on your website, and then Tweet the Heck out of 'em to get your name known.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:29 PM

13,324 posts, read 9,652,579 times
To the OP. Wouldn't you be better off researching where the least healthy and/or obese people live? You may be able to pick out a city where your services will be more needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland