Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 PM

15 posts, read 39,252 times

Advertisements

I have been gleaning these forums for the last few days but i really couldn't find anything close to our situation...

Situation: Wife and I currently live in Southern Oregon but I have been given a very beneficial job offer outside of McMinnville (N on 99), HOWEVER my wife has put fashion design education on hold down here, waiting for something like the Art Institute of Portland -smack dab in the pearl...

To be able to finish her educational career we of course can not live in McMinnville, but I of course do not want to commute from deep inside of Portland....

Questions/thoughts:

She is used to long (1hr+) commutes to her university (lived in LIMA, peru), my commute last 6 years has been 15mins...so I could say we could live closer to McMinn than Northeast Portland. I'd like 30min max if my wife won't suffer too much..

How is the transit system trimet? I see it reaches into Sherwood and Tualatin...Or better to have her drive into portland and then ride public?? How nasty is commuting to the Pearl from the Southwest??

My field is winegrapes and of course early morning starts...when does traffic get bad around portland commuting zones??

I understand that 99 can be horrendous, but am i wrong in thinking only bad going N in AM and bad going S in PM or is it just plan BAD!?

**Just renting first** Nice apts. or home.

So far, from my limited experience with portland area and google maps, i believe the happy medium would be to live in: Tigard/King City/Sherwood/Tualatin and deal with 99.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Last edited by OSUperu; 03-13-2011 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,199 times
You might also consider Forest Grove, Cornelius, and Hillsboro. From Hillsboro your wife could take the MAX into Portland, and you could take Hwy 47 to McMinnville. It's about 30 minutes driving from Hillsboro to Portland, and 45 minutes to McMinnville from Hillsboro. That puts you over your thirty-minute commute time, but it is an option.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 AM

Figmalt: Never thought about that angle. Thanks!.. I'll have to check out the max and times/fees... How long does a commuting time Max line from Hillsboro to downtown take?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
Portland's Light Rail map with (in small print) the 'estimated' commute times:
TriMet: Rail System Map (MAX, WES and Streetcar)

Add a few minutes from the Washington Park (Zoo stop) to downtown Pioneer Square stop. The MAX line only seems take longer if you don't get a seat during rush hour.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:01 PM

It seems that the max is a good way to get into downtown. What about taking the WES train in from say tualatin? and then hitting that same MAX route? Compared to bus routes into downtown from tualatin area?

Without experiencing living in an area and commuting how would I know if a public transportation commute is faster/easier than driving into downtown during rush hours?... Rather which area has more public trans. options between: west(hillsboro) or southwest(tigard/sherwood) or south( tualatin/wilsonville) and which area has a better DRIVE into downtown?

Any opinions on the bus only trimet routes from burbs to downtown in general?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUperu View Post
It seems that the max is a good way to get into downtown. What about taking the WES train in from say tualatin? and then hitting that same MAX route? Compared to bus routes into downtown from tualatin area?
From the WES station in Tualatin, you go to Beaverton to pick up MAX before you start heading downtown (not a direct route). The Tri-Met trip planner shows a train-only trip to the Pearl at 60 minutes starting a 7am on a weekday.

The Tualatin Park & Ride bus station is convenient. Tri-Met trip planner shows a bus-only trip time from Tualatin to the Pearl at 43 minutes.

Additionally there is a bus leaving the Tualatin Park & Ride every 10 minutes. WES goes every half hour.

Unfortuntely, Tualatin is not in an area that makes train commuting attractive. Maybe that will change, but until then the bus makes more sense.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:10 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,199 times
I commuted between Hillsboro & PSU on a daily basis for a few years. During rush hour traffic in the morning and afternoon the drive was usually 30-45 minutes. Without traffic (i.e. non-peak hours) it was 25 minutes flat. If I rode the MAX from the Washington County Fairgrounds, it took 45-50 minutes to get into downtown, then another 15-20 minutes (at least) to get to PSU. So, it is definitely quicker to drive, but parking is hard to find and expensive, plus you have the cost of gas and car insurance.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM

LeftCoastee -appreciate the detail, i'll get on tirmet.org and play around.

Side note: Am I getting a feeling that Highway 99 commute is a no go?? From tualatin or sherwood or tigard would I not be traveling against the main flow if I am commuting South?

Anybody out there commute to McMinnville from Portland or Northeast burbs?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Also...there's some ambiguity on 'peak traffic hours'... Is 6am peak for portland area? Season dependent but i assume i'll be on the road toward wine country by 5:30-630am

Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUperu View Post
LeftCoastee -appreciate the detail, i'll get on tirmet.org and play around.

Side note: Am I getting a feeling that Highway 99 commute is a no go?? From tualatin or sherwood or tigard would I not be traveling against the main flow if I am commuting South?

Anybody out there commute to McMinnville from Portland or Northeast burbs?
Even going this way, your commute is not going to be under 30 minutes.

You're still hitting I-84 to I-5, or I-84 to 26 to 217 to I-5 during rush hour. 99 through Tigard is always busy no matter what time of the day. It gets a bit better past that, but during tourist season, or on holiday weekends can get bad due to people headed to the Coast, or to Spirit Mountain.

Rush hour seems to be 7ish to 9ish and 3:30 to 6:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland