Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:21 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,649 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

I hear that summer is the best time to visit Portland but what about late April? I don't care for clear skies but I do care if there is too much rain. A shower here or there is fine.

Oh and where should we visit? We like quaint neighorhoods if there are any and beautiful scenery. And neighborhoods that represent Portland best.
I hear that there is this one area where there's a barrage of food trucks. That would be cool to seek out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 09:44 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Yes, you can visit in late April. The rains will be more drizzle and misty if it does rain. Last April, IIRC, there were 25 days of light rain (less than 1/10th of an inch of rain in 24 hours) and the drizzle rain was mostly in the Morning commute, with dry (but humid) afternoons. Not even worth dealing with carrying an umbrella around all day for that small amount of rain.

Historical NOAA data over last 50 years: Portland April typically gets about 14.4 days with rain above 0.01" but under 1.0" in a 24 hour period.

YMMV, as the weather in 2011 seems to be off-key from normal patterns.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,358 times
April is a good time to visit if you want to see flowers and trees in bloom. The Japanese Gardens are especially nice with the rhodies and azaleas flowering. It's too early to see anything of interest as far as roses go.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Late April is great. Lots of things will be blooming. As far as food carts:

http://www.foodcartsportland.com/

Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
I would ask what is the purpose of your visit? If you're here for pleasure, then the summer is always going to be more pleasant weather-wise. If you're coming to scope Portland out as a potential place to live, you should come at the worst time of year to see if you can stand the rain.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I would ask what is the purpose of your visit? If you're here for pleasure, then the summer is always going to be more pleasant weather-wise. If you're coming to scope Portland out as a potential place to live, you should come at the worst time of year to see if you can stand the rain.
Good tip but I am only there for pleasure. I hear a lot of good things in Portland so we just want to go there for a few days.

Do you recommend biking around the city to experience it better? I heard that in 2010 commuting by biking increased by 6%, the most in any city. So, this sounds cool!

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Spring is beautiful here but weather is unpredictable. You may want to visit during Summer when it's dry for the most part. Happy Travels!

Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
I am surprised no one else has mentioned the Visitor's Tax that Multnomah County institutes from April through June. It is basically a tax on goods and services for those who are not Oregon or Washington residents. Hotel rooms alone go up nearly 45% in price. For these reasons I would recommend waiting until July or even August to visit, it can get very expensive otherwise.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:12 AM

Any advice on which neighborhoods to visit that represent Portland best?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:21 AM

639 posts, read 1,598,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Good tip but I am only there for pleasure. I hear a lot of good things in Portland so we just want to go there for a few days.

Do you recommend biking around the city to experience it better? I heard that in 2010 commuting by biking increased by 6%, the most in any city. So, this sounds cool!

Thanks.
I think biking around the city would be fun! Be aware that most everyone in Oregon knows the rules regarding bike riders and will not be expecting anyone on a bike to be breaking any of the laws of the road. Same laws apply for bikes and cars alike for the most part; ride in the same direction as traffic, in the street never the sidewalk, obey the stop signs and traffic signals, use your arm/hand signals for turning. If you follow the basic guidelines you'll be much safer.

Have fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland