U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,670 times
Default buying a home that had homeless persons living for over 6 months

My girlfriend and I are living in a house that has a 2 vacant houses next to ours. In the very next house, about 6 months ago, about 6 or 7 homeless and scary persons moved in there. We called the real estate and explained, as the unwelcome individuals kept on throwing garbage and other items onto our property. The real estate conmpany finally called the police, but nothing has been resolved. Just a couple of nights ago, the said in questioned persons got into a fight all night, and were yelling, screaming. We called the real estate company. They wont do anything about it. What can we do in such a situation? Our house value is going down, as the unwelcome guests have distroyed the vacant property, it looks really bad, they are doing drugs and other no good things there. We also have a child and worry. Should we file a complain with the city? Any help advice or any ideas we would kindly appreciate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 PM

15,953 posts, read 15,553,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarto View Post
The real estate conmpany finally called the police, but nothing has been resolved. Just a couple of nights ago, the said in questioned persons got into a fight all night, and were yelling, screaming. We called the real estate company.

The next time this happens, call the cops instead of the real estate company.

You can also file a complaint with the city online and I would do that as well if I were you:

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?c=34180

Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 PM

6,477 posts, read 5,978,470 times
Seriously, why didn't you call the cops? The only other thing you can do is find out what bank owns the house and give them a call - they might be interested as it's causing the house to loose value.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 3,558 times
Call cops first. portlandmaps.com, enter address, click on 'assessor' and it will tell you who the prop owner is and their address. Send them a note, but they probably don't care as much as they should if this has been going on.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 10,140 times
I am a social work in IL. What you need to do is call the police every time you see someone there. Don't worry about making them made. The individuals are trepassing and real estate company won't be able to do anything. You need to call the cops before they put up a meth lab which is very harmful to you and it could catch fire which puts ur property in harms way. Also abandon houses can be places where people can be taken to and hurt (if you catch my drift). You don't need this next to your house and it lowers you property value. Your gonna have to step up to the plate because the police will make them do something with the property. It is not safe regardless, vacant properties make neighborhoods unsafe. It also can make your house a target of a robbery since they would be aware of your schedule. Call the police everytime you see someone there.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 PM

600 posts, read 796,190 times
Forget the real estate agent/company. CALL THE POLICE and do it anytime you see them trespassing on that property. If you call the police enough they will eventually get them out of there.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:26 PM

13,469 posts, read 10,122,997 times
I agree with the other posters who are telling you to call the police. It isn't the job of the real estate company to reprimand your neigbors each time they create a disturbance.

If, however, the neighbors are destroying the property or otherwise doing damage to it, at that point I would get the real estate company involved.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM

506 posts, read 718,939 times
This reminds me of a story a friend of mine was telling me. He and his wife decided to move back to Southern Cali after living in Portland for about ten years. They kept their house and decided to rent it out. Apparently after they moved, but before renters had moved in, some homeless people had decided to make the basement their new home. So, one day when the management company was showing the house to some prospective renters, two homeless guys squeezed out of the basement window and took off around the corner, in full view of everyone. The prospective renters decided to go elsewhere.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:20 PM

13,469 posts, read 10,122,997 times
During the "wild and woolly" days when the Hawthorne neighborhood was a questionable nieghborhood I lived in a six-plex that had a really grungy garage underneath the largest end unit. One day some homeless people broke the lock on the door and just moved in. The neighbors who lived upstairs of the garage called the landlady who came over immediately and promptly proceeded to charge the squatters rent.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 PM

6,765 posts, read 7,430,724 times
In NW Portland, when my children were young, there was a homeless person who lived in a garage. The family (whose names you might know if I mentioned it) found him living nearby in Forest Park. It was cold, he seemed nice, so they let him sleep in the garage. Days turned to months, months to years, and all was well. He even kept an eye on the kids for the parents. The neighborhood knew him and respected his privacy. Years passed, the mother died of cancer, at her wake he had a place at the table (the caterers eyebrows raised).

Several years later he was killed by another homeless person in Old Town.

There are homeless folks, and homeless folks. Those who occupy property without permission need to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland