U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2011, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
617 posts, read 801,572 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09 View Post
Beaverton then? How is the area around the MAX there?
Beaverton Round is decent (not what city planners envisioned, but a fair attempt at a transit oriented development), but overall most of the Beaverton MAX stops are either transit connections or sit next to large employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
83 posts, read 138,901 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Beaverton Round is decent (not what city planners envisioned, but a fair attempt at a transit oriented development), but overall most of the Beaverton MAX stops are either transit connections or sit next to large employers.
Gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
If you just want go have a few beers and hang out, there are plenty of good places in Hillsboro, Beaverton, or wherever on the westside, and you won't have any problems with parking. CPR (Cornelius Pass Roadhouse) and Coyote's come to mind in Hillsboro.

I love Orenco Station and the "new urbanism" feel, but if I were younger and didn't have a family I would want the real thing in the city, not the sanitized faux urban version designed for families and empty nesters.

If you want more excitement, can afford a little higher rent, and can tolerate more parking hassle, definitely get a place that's closer to downtown (even inner eastside, but test the commute first). Even though you're a car guy, there will be times when you appreciate the great transit (like when you want more than one or two of the awesome local microbrews). You will have a blast and, being from Chicago, it probably won't seem like a bad commute (and it is a commute, even though it seems like a reverse commute, because Hillsboro is a huge employment center).

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks! Yup, a supposedly 30-45 min commute from the city out to Hillsboro is no problem. I've been told to avoid 26 so I was looking at more scenic routes like Germantown/Cornelius. Just looking at Google Maps, those roads seem like they would be a blast to drive everyday to work on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 04:11 PM
 
Location: the Beaver State
6,478 posts, read 5,387,219 times
Reputation: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09 View Post
Gotcha.



Thanks! Yup, a supposedly 30-45 min commute from the city out to Hillsboro is no problem. I've been told to avoid 26 so I was looking at more scenic routes like Germantown/Cornelius. Just looking at Google Maps, those roads seem like they would be a blast to drive everyday to work on.
No they're not. Everyone else drives them too in an attempt to ditch 26. It's the only way over the hill to get to Scappoose and St. Helens, where a lot of people moved too about ten years ago because house prices in Beaverton/Hillsboro were too high.

Even on low traffic days, they're still a pain to drive. You'll get stuck behind a truck, or it's too wet, curvy and slick to go over 40mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
83 posts, read 138,901 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
No they're not. Everyone else drives them too in an attempt to ditch 26. It's the only way over the hill to get to Scappoose and St. Helens, where a lot of people moved too about ten years ago because house prices in Beaverton/Hillsboro were too high.

Even on low traffic days, they're still a pain to drive. You'll get stuck behind a truck, or it's too wet, curvy and slick to go over 40mph.
Well, I would head the opposite direction of those in Scappoose since I'm working in Hillsboro and not the city, no?

As for the last part, I have an AWD Subaru with sticky summer tires, springs, and a rear sway bar. You'll just have to trust me I'm ready for those types of conditions and would probably enjoy the drive even more so .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 05:20 PM
 
Location: SE Portland, OR
1,167 posts, read 1,143,978 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
No they're not. Everyone else drives them too in an attempt to ditch 26. It's the only way over the hill to get to Scappoose and St. Helens, where a lot of people moved too about ten years ago because house prices in Beaverton/Hillsboro were too high.

Even on low traffic days, they're still a pain to drive. You'll get stuck behind a truck, or it's too wet, curvy and slick to go over 40mph.
'

And yet most of the speed limits on those roads are 30-35. (at least Germantown and Skyline).

OP, I know a girl that works on out 185th right where Beaverton is turning into Hillsdale. She says she consistently get's from St. John's (North Portland) to her job in 15-20 mins. each day. So I think you can get there pretty quick that route.

This would make the NW area very accessible for you. And even N. Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 08:55 PM
 
Location: the Beaver State
6,478 posts, read 5,387,219 times
Reputation: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09 View Post
Well, I would head the opposite direction of those in Scappoose since I'm working in Hillsboro and not the city, no?

As for the last part, I have an AWD Subaru with sticky summer tires, springs, and a rear sway bar. You'll just have to trust me I'm ready for those types of conditions and would probably enjoy the drive even more so .
Physical Road conditions here are different - even with all the fancy gear. The rain puts a lot of standing water on roads. If it's been dry a while, the oil/dirt/grime/leaves/and in some cases, moss, adds to it.

If it's near freezing, then we have a ton of black ice. Then the ice is more slippery then usual because the temps tend to hover right at freezing, which gives cars the chance to melt the ice as they drive over it, then refreezes nice and flat like glass.

It seems like every one I know who's moved to Oregon from the Midwest and Great Lakes Region has gotten into a car accident within a few months of being here because of these conditions.

My ex-fiance managed to get into a wreck five minutes from our house after I warned her that the first rain of the year made the roads slicker then she was used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 PM
 
120 posts, read 152,015 times
Reputation: 116
I was shocked when I looked into car insurance rates here -- they're actually *higher* than NY.

I guess hamlier explains the reasons why. That and all those intersections w/o stop signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
83 posts, read 138,901 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The rain puts a lot of standing water on roads. If it's been dry a while, the oil/dirt/grime/leaves/and in some cases, moss, adds to it.


My ex-fiance managed to get into a wreck five minutes from our house after I warned her that the first rain of the year made the roads slicker then she was used to.
Thanks for the heads up on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 AM
 
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
617 posts, read 801,572 times
Reputation: 342
I've never heard of auto insurance rates being high here, they never have been for me.

As far as the rain issue goes, it is very dry here in June through September (average rain of an inch or less per month). So whenever it does rain during this timeframe, or in the first big rainshower in the fall, the roads are definitely slick. Otherwise it's not a problem as long you don't tailgate (and I think that's why people from back east get in wrecks out here, because they're used to driving two inches off the bumper from the car in front of them).

The black ice issue may crop up once or twice a year, but again it's nothing like the road hazards back east. And they do let you use chains and studded tires here in the winter, unlike other states like Ohio and Michigan (don't know about Illinois).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
83 posts, read 138,901 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
I've never heard of auto insurance rates being high here, they never have been for me.

As far as the rain issue goes, it is very dry here in June through September (average rain of an inch or less per month). So whenever it does rain during this timeframe, or in the first big rainshower in the fall, the roads are definitely slick. Otherwise it's not a problem as long you don't tailgate (and I think that's why people from back east get in wrecks out here, because they're used to driving two inches off the bumper from the car in front of them).

The black ice issue may crop up once or twice a year, but again it's nothing like the road hazards back east. And they do let you use chains and studded tires here in the winter, unlike other states like Ohio and Michigan (don't know about Illinois).

lol, is that really necessary for a place that barely gets any snow? i've heard stories about the city shutting down with any sign of accumulation. we just got 20" here about a month ago and i was on summer tires-- basically ice skates. if i know my limits, driving appropriately is no problem. i've been through snow and heavy rain, but the cyclic weather in portland is something i haven't experienced so i'll be extra cautious when it rains during extended periods of dry conditions.

good point about riding people's bumpers. everyone coming from a big city does this because it's almost necessary during high traffic to squeeze every possible car into a lane. i've actually lived in champaign/urbana the past 7.5 years so i'm used to a little more space when driving. coming back up to chicago recently has gotten me in trouble with the locals because of this lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top