Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:38 PM

323 posts, read 321,672 times

Advertisements

Don't want to deal the nightmare commute, so looking to reloacte my family to that area. Any concerns about moving to the State of Oregon from Washington? I would be working in the Rock Creek area on Tanasborne. What are best areas for to raise a young children. Looking into purchasing a home up to 400k. Schools are very important.
Thank you for viewing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
No concerns at all. School test data is on line.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Rock Creek/Bethany area schools are some of the best from what I hear - the area is over populated by well-payed Intel Engineers. Youngish Couples with young kids, newer suburban houses, two SUVs in the garage, but still shopping at Whole Foods and New Seasons. Quite a lot of ethnic diversity, again from the Intel workers.

I personally can't stand the area because I still see the farm land from my youth that's been paved over. The houses are all cookie cutter in shape and frequently color. Neighborhoods are walkable, but not walkable distances to stores/dining/etc. There seems to be less community due to the more transitional nature of residents (H1 Visas expiring, moving to different parts of the country to chase jobs.) I dimly remember reading somewhere that the average resident only lives in the area for three years.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:08 AM

I forgot to mention that www.RedFin.com has school test scores and parent comments. Click on a house then look at the bottom of the screen. Don't rely on that website for searching, I have found that they do not capture all listings. Unfortunately Oregon law prohibits realtor rebates (no savings for you) but if you use them a % of the fee goes to a charity. Check their website for details.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
No concerns at all. School test data is on line.
What about big budget cuts are those an issue or is this primary Portland school?
Thank you Nell.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Rock Creek/Bethany area schools are some of the best from what I hear - the area is over populated by well-payed Intel Engineers. Youngish Couples with young kids, newer suburban houses, two SUVs in the garage, but still shopping at Whole Foods and New Seasons. Quite a lot of ethnic diversity, again from the Intel workers.

I personally can't stand the area because I still see the farm land from my youth that's been paved over. The houses are all cookie cutter in shape and frequently color. Neighborhoods are walkable, but not walkable distances to stores/dining/etc. There seems to be less community due to the more transitional nature of residents (H1 Visas expiring, moving to different parts of the country to chase jobs.) I dimly remember reading somewhere that the average resident only lives in the area for three years.
Sounds like right up my alley. I love Whole pay check and New Seasons. Need to research the neighborhoods to find the best fit for my young kids. Do you ever think Nike and Intel would leave to another State for better taxes and overall better for the business like a right to work State? If that happened what would happen to the Beaverton/Hillboro area? Home prices seem to stay steady in these area. Is this true? They seem more a lot more expensive then Vancouver area.
The transitional nature of residents is a big turn off. Most of them keep to themselves, don't want to meet the neighbors, keep there curtains closed year around, and hire landscapers for the postage size lot. I think this is sad!
Thank you for you input hamellr...

Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I forgot to mention that www.RedFin.com has school test scores and parent comments. Click on a house then look at the bottom of the screen. Don't rely on that website for searching, I have found that they do not capture all listings. Unfortunately Oregon law prohibits realtor rebates (no savings for you) but if you use them a % of the fee goes to a charity. Check their website for details.
Nell I love this site and thank you so much! Liberal HS seems like they have the best sports facilities. Is this true? How do you find out what schools have the best sports programs and top teams. A lot of the Hillsboro schools have a high percentage of reduced and free lunches. Should this be a concern? I know this sounds like a stereotype, but usually means lower education levels, bad habits, and kids learning at a slower pace. Also concerned about bullying.
My son's current school has a zero tolerance policy and the school has no ha one incident this year.
Your advice is top notch and thank you again!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 AM

First let me respond to your question about Intel & NIKE. No one can predict the future. Intel professional employees were recently surveyed their staff when deciding where to invest in a new plant, Portland won by a significant margin. Fab plants are expensive and have a lead time of years, they may suspend operations when demand for their product decreases but they don't just move on a dime. NIKE is too big to be bought out, their founder is an Oregonian, and the community fitness culture matches their values. NIKE's presence has also supported the growth of Adidas, Columbia Sportswear and other lesser known footwear and athletic apparel firms. Do I expect either to leave, no. That said both have had layoffs as business conditions change.

With many parents suffering layoffs and signing up for toxic mortgages across the nation I anticipate that the utilization of reduced cost meal programs in the schools has increased. I just don't think that many of the families have a history of instability.

I know nothing about "Liberal High School". The athletic programs and extra curricular activities of any high school are dependent on that school's culture, parental support, size of the student body, and the coach of a specific sport. Their success in competition ebbs and wanes. I hesitage to predict who will be prominant when your child, or my grandchildren, are in high school.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM

Thanks for sharing that detailed info Nell. Well said and makes complete sense.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:53 AM

196 posts, read 428,722 times
I think the OP meant Liberty HS- not Liberal. One thing to keep in mind about Hillsboro is there are some schools with average student being middle class, and "downtown" Hillsboro having a student class with many on reduced meals. The district is diverse, however, the schools themselves not as much as the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland