U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-15-2011, 03:23 PM

292 posts, read 307,540 times
Bye boniblu. We could use not having you here. Good luck surviving the world.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-15-2011, 03:44 PM

919 posts, read 1,744,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why is it when someone complains about the rain in Portland or Seattle, a stock answer is "this is an unusual rainy season"? Just what is normal?
Actually, it's not a stock answer. The average rainfall for March is about 3.5" This March, Portland received more than 7". That trend seems to be continuing into the first half of April.

As an above poster stated, this is a La Nina year, which brings colder and wetter than average conditions for winter and spring.

Unread 04-15-2011, 04:23 PM

2,119 posts, read 1,695,527 times
I have a sneaking suspicion that the more people move to Portland, the more it rains.

Kinda like angels crying.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 04-15-2011 at 05:11 PM..

Unread 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM

6,418 posts, read 4,788,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that the more people move to Portland, the more it rains.

Kinda like angels crying.

God cries every time a Californian gets an Oregon Drivers license.

(just joking!!)

Unread 04-15-2011, 08:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 833,924 times
I hate Portland.................I hate it almost as much as I hated living in Seattle. The weather sucks, the cost of living sucks, the economy sucks, the traffic sucks and you're not allowed to do anything. the only thing I like about the northwest at all is the lack of religion, low crime and overall open mindedness but that's about it.

Unread 04-15-2011, 09:48 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,572,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I hate Portland.................I hate it almost as much as I hated living in Seattle. The weather sucks, the cost of living sucks, the economy sucks, the traffic sucks and you're not allowed to do anything. the only thing I like about the northwest at all is the lack of religion, low crime and overall open mindedness but that's about it.
Thank you for sharing.

Unread 04-15-2011, 11:05 PM

310 posts, read 388,093 times
Quote:
Well redfish I hope you have the chance to move somewhere that will make you happy. Responding to your post in all seriousness, what you list here "the lack of religion, low crime and overall open mindedness " may turn out to mean more to you than you imagine once you move elsewhere. Each time you move to get rid of factors you don't want or to get factors you do want, everything else changes as well.

For example, I'd love to hear if anyone knows of a city that has all the assets of Portland but sunshine as well....whenever I do that calculation to get the sun I lose something important in the bargain.

Unread 04-16-2011, 12:40 AM

8,771 posts, read 5,369,540 times
Quote:
Well then good thing you left....

Unread 04-16-2011, 05:38 AM

1,569 posts, read 833,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
Well redfish I hope you have the chance to move somewhere that will make you happy. Responding to your post in all seriousness, what you list here "the lack of religion, low crime and overall open mindedness " may turn out to mean more to you than you imagine once you move elsewhere. Each time you move to get rid of factors you don't want or to get factors you do want, everything else changes as well.
I'd love to hear if anyone knows of a city that has all the assets of Portland but
For example,sunshine as well....whenever I do that calculation to get the sun I lose something important in the bargain.
there is no such place in the united states these days. A few spots in Australia are all that's left.

I left Portland about 2 years ago for south TX. no one speaks English but I live like a king and sun is almost always shining. I'm thinking of moving to Austin as that's about as close as you can get to what I'm used to with nice weather in this country. When I started to see the huge demographic changes going on in Seattle and Portland the last 5 years I was up there it occurred to me that the NW is going to be CA with lousy weather in less than 20 years so if that's the rout this country is going I might as well be somewhere nice.

Unread 04-16-2011, 08:09 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,873,383 times
Bye bye. I hope you find a place that you can happily live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
They did kill Meier & Frank, by choosing not to keep the name. Kroeger's bought out Fred Meyer, but were not so arrogant as to think people would prefer to buy from that company than from the one that had been here for a hundred years. Same with Meier & Frank. I don't care who owns it, but if they change the name ... it ain't Meier & Frank, and my loyalty is zero. If I want to buy something from Macy's ... I'll go to New York.
I agree, Macy's seems to think that their brand name is good enough. They did the same thing to the Bon Marche in Seattle. There I times I think that all they wanted was to be able to advertise on the cheap with one identity and distribution center.

The issue I have with mega-retailers is that they think one merchandise array fits all. Many markets have distinctive needs and preferences. What looks fantastic to a buyer in New York may not be to OUR taste.

Bottom line, however, is that M & F imploded. If not Macy's then Broadway out of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland