Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 PM

7 posts, read 26,942 times

Advertisements

Portland in reality is a really safe city, there may be a few areas in Gresham that i wouldn't live in, and perhaps i wouldn't walk around old town at night, but all in all i've never had a bad experience, ever. i feel safe walking practically anywhere, and actually, North Portland is quite a nice area, it used to be on the iffy side but has really improved, unfortunately it's reputation hasn't, the whole east side tends to get a bad rap, but in reality it's a safe and fun area to live in, there may still be a few more car break ins/petty thefts, but certainly no violent crimes or gang activity, i feel quite comfortable walking around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 PM

121 posts, read 219,837 times
Thanks, pdxpizza. I have read quite a few posts that claim that north Portland is seedy, and then a few who claim it isn't. Thanks for putting it the way you did. :-)

Old 02-01-2011, 05:00 AM

129 posts, read 583,976 times
Actually, if you're referring to Old Town as the area around Powells and Pearl, then I would say that area is actually quite safe now. There was a time, about 10 years ago, where the Pearl district was quite slummy, fully of homeless, druggies and gangs, but the entire area has been renovated and is now one of the most prestigious cosmopolitan neighborhoods in the city. I enjoy strolling through the areas of Pearl, even at night, seeing single girls walking down the street yacking on their cell phone. It is funny to me, because 10 years ago that street would have been very sketchy. I remember walking out of Powells about 10 years ago and having sketchy people greet me and hanging out around the dark corners of the streets. However, today the area is so different. There is people everywhere, police everywhere and all the bad elements have been pushed out. The area right near the Homeless shelter and the train station still is sketchy, but not like it was 10 years ago.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxpizza View Post
Portland in reality is a really safe city, there may be a few areas in Gresham that i wouldn't live in, and perhaps i wouldn't walk around old town at night, but all in all i've never had a bad experience, ever. i feel safe walking practically anywhere, and actually, North Portland is quite a nice area, it used to be on the iffy side but has really improved, unfortunately it's reputation hasn't, the whole east side tends to get a bad rap, but in reality it's a safe and fun area to live in, there may still be a few more car break ins/petty thefts, but certainly no violent crimes or gang activity, i feel quite comfortable walking around there.
I only said that about North Portland, because of the news I saw the year before last year where there was a bit shoot out in some park down there and they (police on the news) where talking about gangs in that area. When I drive through it I always like the neighborhoods there and I would take the change to live there, if I would find a decent rental. I know the dog park at Chimney Park is one of the best in the Portland area.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I have lived in Portland for over 30 years and the worst "crime" I ever experienced was being threatend by a druggie homeless person downtown. But there was a cop right there to grab him. My friend has lived in North Portland for 51 years and has never seen a crime there.

My point is, as long as you don't put yourself in a really dangerous neighborhood and are alert to your surroundings wherever you go, you should be as okay here as any place else.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:21 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
I've seen this preoccupation with safety in other city forums as well. Is this part of the aftermath of 9/11? I don't understand the level of fear when most folks who live in a decent size metropolitan area know that every city has sketchy areas that should be avoided and that the rest of the city is relatively safe. It's not like we are hearing crime reports that are out of the ordinary or on a higher level than 10 years ago. Why is this such an issue? Crime is everywhere, but as long as you use common sense, it's not likely to touch you.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Why is this such an issue? Crime is everywhere, but as long as you use common sense, it's not likely to touch you.
Hi I would like to refer you to my original post, as the folks that have already replied have, by and large, put to rest my concerns. In my original post I stated that it was due to the statistical data I had gathered that had me concerned. I am not overly concerned with this issue. I wanted to the scoop from people who are actually living in the area to give me their perspective. Since the data show that crime is far worse per capita in Portland as compared with my own city (and yet, in my own city I have witnessed many acts of crime) I was concerned with what the neighborhoods and city might be like. There are some cities I have lived in where it didn't matter where you went: the bad element was there and you could be victimized no matter how aware of your surroundings you were. To be concerned about the safety of one's family is not unreasonable when faced with raw data alone. It's like having only half the picture. Hence, the reason for my post.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:55 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStandTheHeat View Post
Hi I would like to refer you to my original post, as the folks that have already replied have, by and large, put to rest my concerns. In my original post I stated that it was due to the statistical data I had gathered that had me concerned. I am not overly concerned with this issue. I wanted to the scoop from people who are actually living in the area to give me their perspective. Since the data show that crime is far worse per capita in Portland as compared with my own city (and yet, in my own city I have witnessed many acts of crime) I was concerned with what the neighborhoods and city might be like. There are some cities I have lived in where it didn't matter where you went: the bad element was there and you could be victimized no matter how aware of your surroundings you were. To be concerned about the safety of one's family is not unreasonable when faced with raw data alone. It's like having only half the picture. Hence, the reason for my post.
So my question to you is: Why did you go searching for statistical crime data? Had you heard that Portland was unusually crime ridden? Was there anything that made you think that Portland might be dangerous for your family? You said you were freaking out from what you read. It just felt to me that you were in a fearful state of mind and I want to know where that came from.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Happy to oblige! I am one of those information freaks. I like to find out as much as possible about a thing or place before making a decision. Now, just please don't mistake that for a lack of spontaneity! Actually, I had first looked at the housing market data, then at rentals and apartments. Next, I checked out what activities for a SAHM with 3 young children Portland has to offer. That's when I really fell in love. I'm a huge fan of gardens, woodland preserves, fog, mist, cozy evenings by the fire, etc. Then I called my mom to give her the heads-up that DH might have a job up there and then she posed the question of how safe the area is. That is what led me to the crime data. And that is when I got really bummed out (I know I said 'freaked out' but that was a bit tongue-in-cheek). So I decided to see what was really going on.

By the way, I saw some of the pics and your posts from the gloomy photos thread. I agree with you 100% about how marvelous and romantic the mist, fog, and 'gloom' can be. :-)

Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 PM

7 posts, read 26,942 times
i wasn't reffering to the pearl area, and i didn't mean to put it in a way that would make it sound dangerous, i simply mean that there are some areas in oldtown that i would use a little extra precaution if i were walking around there at night, but notice, i'm not saying it's even dangerous enough to not walk there at night, so it really isn't that bad. i personally live in the sw area and crime is practically nill here, and used to live in North Portland, it wasn't bad there either, there where a few car break-ins but nothing beyond petty crime, Portland overall is a very safe city, but i personally would not want to live past say, 122nd on the east side where you get in to gresham, and even there most areas are ok crime wise, it's just not my cup of tea. Portland is a great city to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland