Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 PM

219 posts, read 623,404 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have to be honest. Here in Iowa, as a driver of a small VW, it really really sucks to be surrounded by people driving huge gas and space hogging SUVs and Trucks. If they have big families or are using them for hauling supplies, ect. I don't see the problem with that. But a LOT of times I see merely one person driving inside of these huge vehicles. This is an enormous pet peeve of mine. I was wondering what the number of SUVs and Trucks is, generally, in the Portland area. I've heard/read so much about its "green" attitude and was hoping that included a lot of people driving small gas saving cars such as myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,897,237 times
You will be surprised to see the large number of SUVS here in PDX. I am a mother of small children (that translates to multiple car seats) with a dog, as well. I drive an SUV. I guess you would call me a soccer mom if I drove a mini-van. Can't please everyone all the time...

Old 04-17-2011, 09:27 PM

So there are a lot around? Darn... I was really hoping to get away from them for the most part.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 PM

639 posts, read 1,597,152 times
I moved here recently from SF bay area. There are WAY WAY fewer suv sized vehicles here. I'd say the great majority of people drive sedans and compact cars, whereas it seemed like the majority in the SF bay drove SUV (shiny, clean gas guzzlers for their single person commute btw. "Sport" vehicles that they couldn't take over a speed bump without slowing down to nearly stopping for fear of damaging it or spilling expensive coffee on their leather interiors).

However, there are quite a few pick up trucks and the like here.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,897,237 times
Yup! My SUV is clean and shiny. No leather interiors, though, I do LOVE my coffee...maybe it's because I grew up in San Francisco. I never connected the dots before... hmmm...

Old 04-17-2011, 10:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,408,697 times
Of course people drive SUV's and trucks here. Especially trucks. Lots of trucks.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,532,888 times
Daughter & DIL were discussing car seats today. Each have two pre-school children. Given the car seat safety standards they couldn't figure out how to do that in a "standard" size vehicle, particularly if the smaller kids had to be seated looking back. One interest is pushing one direction, other interests opposite.

They were talking about adults of their acquaintance who would be required to use 'booster' seats. Hey, I am at an age when I am shrinking. Before long I will be a shorty. One size definitely does not fit all.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:39 PM

639 posts, read 1,597,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
<snip>
They were talking about adults of their acquaintance who would be required to use 'booster' seats. Hey, I am at an age when I am shrinking. Before long I will be a shorty. One size definitely does not fit all.
LOL! It's true. I'm a small adult, and technically I should neither sit in the front seat of a car (because of the danger caused from the airbag) nor consume adult doses of medicine (because they are formulated assuming that the average adult weighs about 150 pounds, but I weigh closer to 100).

And in the much older cars I definitely could use a booster seat of some kind -- but then I wouldn't be able to reach the peddles.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 PM

5,445 posts, read 8,152,259 times
Portland Mayor Sam Adams has a pickup truck. He was driving it with his pants unfastened when he was involved in a hard to explain crash (although the Mayor blamed it on the setting sun, the more cynical thought he might have been daydreaming of Beau).

"His zipper was undone, and his (shorts) button was undone."
The whole story here: Portland police release second report on Adams crash | OregonLive.com

Last edited by karlsch; 04-18-2011 at 12:10 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 AM

I figured there might be a lot of trucks in the area because of people doing a lot of outdoor work, ect. I just HATE to see those giant, long SUVs with ONE PERSON inside of it, driving around and ruining the environment. I was hoping the Green attitude of Portland would extend out to vehicles but maybe it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland